OGXbox.com

1.6 cap replacement, no boot

logandzwon

H all,

I attempted to recap a 1.6 . I thought things went alright, however instead it no longer works at all. 

When I first saw plug it in the LED on the Aladdin lights as usually, but quicks dims out. After unplugging and waiting a bit, and then again trying again, the  Aladdin lights again then off again. 

I’m guessing one or more the caps didn’t flow to trace or something. Is that what I should expect with a missing cal?

Edited by logandzwon
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, logandzwon said:

H all,

I attempted to recap a 1.6 . I thought things went alright, however instead it no longer works at all. 

When I first saw plug it in the LED on the Aladdin lights as usually, but quicks dims out. After unplugging and waiting a bit, and then again trying again, the  Aladdin lights again then off again. 

I’m guessing one or more the caps didn’t flow to trace or something. Is that what I should expect with a missing cal?

That would traumatize me...

I was under the impression that the boxes could actually function fine without any clock cap at all... however the purpose they serve would obviously be nixed. Was that understanding inaccurate?

Forgive me: I had read that it was only the clock cap. My response makes no sense. I do still wonder if the Xboxes can function without the clock capacitor, but that is not the topic of this thread. 😬

Ensure none are placed in opposite way… they can explode that way.   

10 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I was under the impression that the boxes could actually function fine without any clock cap at all...

I thought all but 1.6 was this way.  I think 1.6 requires clock cap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2023 at 3:07 AM, logandzwon said:

H all,

You could have several things here, It is possible a trace was damaged while soldering or desoldering. IF that is the case you would have a cap without a connected pin this would also mean the board is basically dead without a ton of extra work arounds, and would mean you have no boot on the console. You could also have put the caps in the wrong direction. But, that would be unlikely as it would usually work for a bit and then bust the cap after a very short time. So unless one of the new caps is already busted, I doubt this is it. You could also have a splash of solder on the mobo that has bridged connections. This is more common than you think as solder slipping off the iron happens all the time. You would need to go over it with a fine tooth comb to be sure. If there is none I bet a trace for a cap was damaged. This would only befixed by handwiring a wire from the cap leg to the start point on the trace, which isn't always possible depending on the location. If all that fails your last bet is a replacement motherboard for your Xbox like one of these:

https://www.tinker-mods.com/buy-replacement-parts/original-xbox/motherboards/original-xbox-motherboard.php