Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

Sign in to follow this  
RoofTop

Hdd Rpm

I am planning to buy a new 2 TB HDD, with 7200 rpm and 64 mb buffer.

I wonder if the rpm and buffer has anything to say for performance ? Or perhaps the old xbox cant handle this ?

It wil be used in a tsop'ed xbox 1.4 with 128mb ram and 1ghz.

the 7200rpm seem to work the same as the 5400rpm. I have used a wide variation of drives but have not exclusively made timing comparisons except CoinOps load times. they seem to boot about the same.

The main diference I noticed is the 7200rpm builds more heat. I try to use the 5400 or 5900 rpm drives because they run much cooler.

Of course this is my experience but I did make a lot of Xbox builds. I was building 2 a month for the last 2 years.

I use 7200 rpm drives in my Xboxs and notice a performance boost over 5400 rpm drives. I'm sure they must run a little hotter since they spin faster but I havent noticed my Xboxs running too hot. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

Board Life Status

Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
  • Similar Content

• By gauchomigo
      A friend gave me back the xbox I made for him years ago.  I want to update it for my grankids.  It is chipped with an xecuter 2, is a version 1.6, and currently has an ancient 150GB hdd.  
      Primarily, I want to put in a new HDD, planning on a 500GB, and use a Startech SATA/IDE adapter with an 80 wire cable.  Then I want to add Coinops, and XBMC;  the XBMC primarily for karaoke.  Also a decent dash, thinking probably the last UnleashX.  I have copied all the contents onto a drive via ftp.  
      I am confused as to how to 1) install the new hdd and 2) how to install the dash/apps.   From what I read on the wiki and elsewhere, supposedly, I can just install the drive, boot, and the xecuter wizard should walk me through formatting the drive.  I assume that then I can put in the Hexen disk and it will install the dash's.  Is this right?  My xbox modding days are long behind me (even the 360 mod days, lol).  
      Any help is appreciated.
    • By dizM0nkey
      Hello!
      My setup
      I have been running XBMC-Emustation dash on my V1.6 Xbox with a WD2500JB IDE drive ... the system was soft modded using Xbox-Softmodding-Tool.  Both tools created by @Rocky5
      Please login or register to see this link.
      I want to update my storage and have both a 2TB WD20EARS and a 3TB WD30EFRX.  I purchased the following ribbon and PATA>SATA off Amazon:
      (I bought two of each; I upgraded my brother's OG Xbox as well using a 1TB WD Blue drive... don't have the exact model in front of me ... but the ribbon and PATA>SATA worked amazing.)
      The Issue
      After loading the initial Xbox green splash screen, I am not booted into the Dashboard.  Instead, the screen goes black and it just hangs.  I've found I can open/close the DVD tray and THEN it will boot the dashboard.
      I've also noticed the speed is slower in both the initial splash screen and the loading of the dashboard itself (after I manually open/close the DVD tray to get the dashboard to load).  Again, tested with both the 2TB and 3TB drives
      Things I've Tried
      Re-softmodding the system
      Both 2TB and 3TB drives
      Different default Dashboard (UnleashX)
      Additional StarTech adaptor
      Additional 80 pin IDE cable

... Anyone's input would be appreciated!

• By MaxBOX
      my system crashed and I had to install a new hard drive , iv got emustation and xbmc and a few other dashed installed ok and dvd to xbox , but all my games that I had backed upto my pc are in a folder called hdd loader , I cant seem to find this program has anyone got a link or a solution for me please

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.