OGXbox.com

Just blown power supply on my X3 chipped box

TWesten

No need to erase it all.  You need to set the switches to the bank you do want to flash.  On the X3, Banks 1,2,3 and 4 generally hold the X3 BIOS which is 1MB in size.  doing so leaves banks 5, 6, 7 and 8 open to hold other BIOSes.  You can either flash 2 512KB BIOSes to banks 56 and 78 or 256KB BIOSes to bank 5, 6, 7 or 8.  Once a bank holds a portion of a BIOS, it cannot be used for to hold a different BIOS.   Evolution-X's M8 and M8plus, ind-bios 5003 and 5004 BIOSes all have a base size of 256KBs.  When you see a dot bin file or mention of a 512KB of 1MB version of these BIOSes, they are simply multiple copies of the BIOS that have been combined to form the larger file size (e.g., two copies of the BIOS: M8plus (256KB) + M8plus (256KB) = M8plus (512KB)).

X3 Bank Select Switch Settings

256 KB Banks

• Bank 1: on on on on
  • Bank 2: off on on on
  • Bank 3: on off on on
  • Bank 4: off off on on
  • Bank 5: on on off on
  • Bank 6: off on off on
  • Bank 7: on off off on
  • Bank 8: off off off on

512 KB Banks

• Bank 12: on on on off
  • Bank 34: off on on off
  • Bank 56: on off on off
  • Bank 78: off off on off

1MB Banks

• Bank 1234: on on off off (Set to this when flashing first time with FlashBIOS)
        Standard location to flash the X3 BIOS
  • Bank 5678: off on off off

2MB Bank

• Bank 12345678: off off off off

Note: The bottom switch, Flash Protect, is not indicated in all of the various bank selection settings. It enables (ON) or disables (OFF) flash protection. When ON, a BIOS cannot be flashed to the X3 modchip.

Alternate Method to Flash a BIOS to the X3 Modchip

See: Loading alternate BIOS to X3 chip (xbmc4xbox.org.uk forum post)

Yes! I just FTP'd across the 3294 X3 Config to replace the 1959 one I had on my decades old DVD and success! There are all my games... Amazing. Inadvertently it was your post elsewhere @KaosEngineerthat led me to this: as I saw you telling someone else they needed to upgrade to 3294 and the penny dropped that I was still on an old version of it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TWesten said:

Just realised I've installed my old DVD copy of X3 1959 - do I need to be on 3294 for it to find 1TB partitions?

I believe so - 1959 was released before LBA48 support was available.  Also, once 3294 is flashed to the modchip, you need to run the Menu option to set default values for the BIOS, reboot, then enable the new hard drive upgrade option Use Saved Partition Table (https://imgur.com/a/wZOUOov).