OGXbox.com

Broken OG Xbox disc drive

J_Shot626

Hey, so I just got my hands on the OG Xbox. It was working fine and playing games until it started lagging really bad and so I thought it was overheating or something. I powered it off and to let it cool. Again because I thought it might need it. When I tried to power it back on the thing wouldn’t open the disc drive. It started making a rough squealing sound and I got an error screen saying I needed to send it in for maintenance. It pulled an error 11. I took it apart and cleaned everything. Motherboard and such. Then I took apart the disc drive and cleaned it as well as replaced the drive belt. Sadly not positive result. So I opened it back up and retinned the solders. Still getting the same error. Any ideas? I’d prefer to just get a new disc drive but I guess nobody has made an aftermarket disc drive for the OG Xbox. Which is crazy to me because they all seem to be trash and every other console has loads of aftermarket stuff.

Nobody made replacement drives because nobody wanted them. Just mod your Xbox and FTP the games and stuff. 

However there is someone who posted on r/originalxbox about using PC IDE DVD drives on the Xbox. 

Maybe check that out. I recently boiled the belt of my 1.6's Hitachi-LG drive and greased the rails with Lithium. It seems to work just fine for me but I unfortunately don't have any media to use it for lol. 

Yeah I replaced it with a new belt and greased it. Sadly the code 11 still is there. It won’t actually boot past the error screen. I’m also the kind of guy who likes to put in physical versions of things so a working disc drive matters to me sadly lol. I realize I’m probably in the minority there.

2 hours ago, J_Shot626 said:

Yeah I replaced it with a new belt and greased it. Sadly the code 11 still is there. It won’t actually boot past the error screen. I’m also the kind of guy who likes to put in physical versions of things so a working disc drive matters to me sadly lol. I realize I’m probably in the minority there.

A belt only helps a drive that will not open and retracts again after trying for a few seconds to punch out. It will nto cause an error. A lot of the passives for these drives are going bad. SS dave recommends replacing the resistor arrays from the IDE connector on those boards as they seem to go bad.

29 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

A belt only helps a drive that will not open and retracts again after trying for a few seconds to punch out. It will nto cause an error. A lot of the passives for these drives are going bad. SS dave recommends replacing the resistor arrays from the IDE connector on those boards as they seem to go bad.

Sounds good. I’ll take a look at them. Yeah sadly a lot of what you get on the how to videos is just to replace the belt. Good fix for a lot of drives cause I’m sure they are worn out. However no good here. Total bummer too cause I’m not trying to go forward with any mods until I fix this and an easy fix would be welcomed. Unfortunately I’m a novice for certain so this is fighting me a bit.

5 hours ago, J_Shot626 said:

Sounds good. I’ll take a look at them. Yeah sadly a lot of what you get on the how to videos is just to replace the belt. Good fix for a lot of drives cause I’m sure they are worn out. However no good here. Total bummer too cause I’m not trying to go forward with any mods until I fix this and an easy fix would be welcomed. Unfortunately I’m a novice for certain so this is fighting me a bit.

Is it a samsung drive?

You may have already done this but figured I’d mention it anyway. Simple fix to try would be reseating your ide cable. If the error persists try replacing the cable. At the very least it eliminates the easiest cause of error 11. If that doesn’t work you can definitely look at testing/replacing the resistor arrays and possibly caps. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

You may have already done this but figured I’d mention it anyway. Simple fix to try would be reseating your ide cable. If the error persists try replacing the cable. At the very least it eliminates the easiest cause of error 11. If that doesn’t work you can definitely look at testing/replacing the resistor arrays and possibly caps. 

Sounds good. I have reseated it several times with no luck. I’ll try the ide cable cause I got a spare anyway. Thanks.