OGXbox.com

Phillips DVD Drive In V1.0

I took apart three consoles today that where sold as parts, all three had Phillips drives in them but one was a V1.0, all the research I've found says this drive only started at V1.1. The seals were intact, I was the first to open it up.

20240321_134654.jpg

20240321_135828.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it was a refurb by MS, which makes sense. If the original serial sticker is under the new one, its confirmed. Original owner likely had dvd issues, MS installed a new unit and a new serial sticker.

Ok Ok, I had another look at it and there are two stickers here, I picked up another working V1.0 today and it too has two stickers so I peeled up the top and the second sticker is a console tracking label. So is this something they did to all the early consoles or is it some sort of replacement sticker?

20240322_180941.jpg

My theory is the tracking label is part of the production line, as it goes from station to station, it gets scanned. When it reaches the final testing phase and passes, only then the top sticker with the date and serial number is put on ready for distribution. So I do believe that this V1.0 came from the factory with a Phillips DVD.