OGXbox.com

Noob Needs Help Hdd Upgrade!

DaveB

1 hour ago, DaveB said:

should I flick the switch before I power it up

I'm sure the textbook answer is to have the XBox unplugged when doing any work inside it however I have been known to flick switches with it plugged in and powered on.  So, don't do as I do, do as I say.  LOL.  "Unplug it.  Move the switch.  Power on and access the chip's menu."  :)

EDIT:  I see that there's no switch on your chip.  Apply the rule above for the future though.

Edited by TEK Nemesis
Not applicable -> no switch on chip

17 hours ago, DaveB said:

I get the error "Bios is not properly sized!"

The site below made a reference to this error message and stated that if you get the message "Bios not properly sized" then "more than likely its not the size of the BIOS it's how you burnt the CDRW".  Now, if you didn't use a CDRW, then relate the statement to something else.  For example, there may be a problem with how you are burning the media (i.e. DVD-R) or maybe when you FTP'd the file, it didn't copy correctly.  The link below says to rename your BIOS file to BIOS.BIN (though that might just be for clarity).  Read over the guide at the link below.  It seems quite thorough.

http://consoleforum.info/viewtopic.php?t=5

Is that red wire a problem, though? I dunno if the file ftp'd properly or not, but I did burn the cd according to the instructions in the user manual. I'll read over that guide next, thanx for the link.

Just in case I'm making another stupid mistake, in the 'xeniumOsv2.31.' I downloaded, in the folder burning a cd, there's 2 iso image files  - "xos_2.3.1_Recovery_Restore_Factory_Defaults" that's 410,980kb. And another "xos_2.3.1_Recovery", also 410,980kb in size. I renamed the image file "BIOS" before burning it. Was that correct, or did I misunderstand?

Edited by DaveB

yea, the xenium os will only browse to C drive or cd/dvd drive, not E. I tried it in C drive, still same problem "bios incorrect size" etc. I'm more concerned with the red "DO" wire now though! The xbox seemed to be functioning ok with that red wire as it is (snipped off and not attached to the motherboard), but TEK Nemesis, I "DEFINITELY NEED IT" TO BE ATTACHED TO THE MOTHERBOARD? Do I need to fix that first, and how?

Could that be what's screwing up the flashing process?! Should it have even been functioning like that?!!!

Edited by DaveB

OMG,  really really sorry, disregard the stuff about the "DO" wire, it IS attached by a very fine wire that I didn't notice lol I really need to get my eyes tested!

So, there's no switch, back to square one then. Did I burn the cd correctly? If so, then I'm out of options, I guess? If not, where did I go wrong?

In the 'hdd' folder of "xOs2.3.1_Recovery" and "Recovery Restore Factory Default",  both the bin files are each 1,207kb. To flash from hard drive, I rename the bin file "BIOS", then ftp it to C drive (since the xenium OS won't browse to E drive), then that should work when I use 'flash' option, yea...?

Edited by DaveB

Yea I am confused! I was advised to use the files contained in "XOS2.3.1". There are only 4 files in this download - 2 iso files for cd, and 2 .bin files for hdd. If none of these are the right files to update the bios with, I have no idea what to do!

Ok, I think I see the prob here - the 'Recovery' files are supposed to be used in the the "Recovery" option on the xenium menu screen? But when I choose that, I get a screen that says "Safety mode  loading...." which then changes to "loading...HALT". This is because the switch needs to be flicked. But the switch is missing from the chip. So, there's nothing else I can do to make the xbox use thewhole drive then, right?

Thanx for the link, I managed to flash the bios ok this time. But, when I reboot the xbox, the only difference is that I get "EVO X" logo in the top left of screen. Xb partitioner 1.3 still gives the LBA48 missing" error. I still can't upgrade the chip cos Recovery mode still does the "Safe Mode loading...HALT" crap then freezes, just as before. So, I can only surmise that the Recovery mode needs the switch to be flicked, and since there is no switch to flick, I've hit a brick wall! 😭

Edited by DaveB

Found this over on Xbox-HQ. This is for updating the firmware.

Using Flash Fxp you are going to transfer the file you downloaded (recovery.bin) to your "E" folder. Once transferred you will boot to the xenium os and from the menu select "Recovery Mode" once selected it will automatically find the file and update itself, also it will turn it self off. There has been reports of xbox's freezing up and people waiting up to 10min or so before shutting them off, I would give it at least 5min if it happens to freeze, mine did not freeze and it only took about 2 min. tops. When your machine turns off simply turn it back on and you should be updated with v1.1, if not simply try again. One thing you will want to do is turn the instant boot feature on. "Configuration" > "Settings Menu" > "InstantBoot" just press "A" and it will change it to ON. I would turn "Quick Start" off in my experience when leaving Quick Start on and instantboot on the xbox fragged.

• Thanks 1

Yea, I still get the 'LBA48 missing, you need to update" when I use xb partitioner. I tried the 'recovery mode' again with the cd, this time I didn't get the 'loading...HALT" on screen, and instead of the led turning to red, it's flashing orange. Not getting my hopes up, but at least something's happening this time. Gonna wait a while and see what happens...

1 hour ago, DaveB said:

Thanx for the link, I managed to flash the bios ok this time.

Woah, woah, woah!  This is the breakthrough you needed!  Congrats.  Whatever you did here, you were on the right track.  So, remember what size the BIOS file was and try again with a different BIOS of the same file size that supports LBA48.  I would halt all other attempts with upgrading the Xenium firmware/OS.