OGXbox.com

Raspberry Pi Pico Xbox EEPROM Dumper

Casefiles

This video is a quick way to dump your original Xbox eeprom directly from the motherboard with just a Raspberry Pi Pico. The code is written by myself in micropython and posted on Github. All you need is a soldering station and 24-30 gauge wire ( or a scrap usb cable you can cut up). This video is handy if you're trying to revive an old Xbox or unlock its HDD. The dump only takes a few seconds, and requires only 3 wires to be soldered from the Pico to the Xbox. 

Everything that you'll need:

-Github Posting

https://github.com/maxpower5544/Pico-ogxbox-eepromdumper

-Raspberry Pi Pico 

https://amzn.to/47CXUfe

-Solder Station Kit

https://amzn.to/47CP3dB

-26 Gauge Wire

https://amzn.to/3vFO3Ir

-Breadboard

https://amzn.to/3tUOiyG

• Like 2

You can also convert Ryzee119's ArduinoProm to a uf2 file that can be flash it to a pico and dump it that way as well.

Nice to see more options though for those that don't want to install Arduino IDE and convert the file.

Edited by Fringle
  • Like 1

I think PicoProm may need a few things to get running, look at the list below, and you still need to wire it to an EEPROM (no way around it!). It has way more features but I don't see how its simpler to setup if you just want the password for your HDD.

1. Disconnect the Raspberry Pi Pico from power/USB
  2. Wire the Raspberry Pi Pico up to the EEPROM according to the pinout table below
  3. Connect the Raspberry Pi Pico to the computer by USB
  4. Launch a terminal app with XMODEM support, such as Tera Term, and connect it to the Raspberry Pi Pico
  5. Verify that the Raspberry Pi Pico is reporting that it's ready to receive a ROM image
  6. Use your terminal to send a ROM image using the XMODEM+CRC protocol
  7. Disconnect power before removing the EEPROM from the circuit

48 minutes ago, Casefiles said:

I think PicoProm may need a few things to get running, look at the list below, and you still need to wire it to an EEPROM (no way around it!). It has way more features but I don't see how its simpler to setup if you just want the password for your HDD.

2. Wire the Raspberry Pi Pico up to the EEPROM according to the pinout table below
  4. Launch a terminal app with XMODEM support, such as Tera Term, and connect it to the Raspberry Pi Pico
  5. Verify that the Raspberry Pi Pico is reporting that it's ready to receive a ROM image

I believe @Bowlsnapper is referring to @Dtomcat18 PicoProm which is far more simple to use for reading and writing the eeprom image. It uses the lpc port either via a pogo pin adapter or via a header soldered in to the lpc. The eeprom is stored on sd card when read and you can also write a bin file from the sd card to the eeprom. Very fast and plug and play. I think that’s what he was referring to but correct me if I’m wrong, Bowl. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Casefiles said:

...... Is anybody surprised that the Nemesis STM32 liberation module comes to my mind here? Is that unreasonable? I, being the conspiracy theorist I am, am a bit skeptical... 😛 @FrostyMaGee @Dtomcat18 

This is something that isn't needed.. it's already been done in a much easier and featured package... Yes, frosty, the picoprom :)

I’m all for innovation!  Keep up the work   I believe this project is just for someone that wants something cheap and may already have on hand.  My project they were referring to (picoPromSD) is more convenience than affordability.  I did it so you can do one or many eeprom backups with needing to be tethered to PC.   I actually started out in the same manner as this.  Wanting to use a pico :)  great job. I’ll stick with my project obviously lol… but I think many will like this   If you find you need help… let me know.  I went on to decrypt the eeprom, calculate HDD password based on eeprom HDD key… as well as grab password from seagates directly 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thairanny said:

Yea, I don't think the world can rely on @Dtomcat18 as the sole supplier and manufacturer of Xbox EEPROM readers forever, Haha!

True. Lol. I was just trying to clarify what Bowl was saying. Plus I like picoPromsd! :D That being said i do like to learn new and other ways to do things. That’s always a good thing. I’m too spoiled now with dtomcat18’s device though. Lol. I don’t want to go back to doing it the old way but it’s good to know I can and that people are still working to innovate and improve on processes. 

1 hour ago, FrostyMaGee said:

True. Lol. I was just trying to clarify what Bowl was saying. Plus I like picoPromsd! :D That being said i do like to learn new and other ways to do things. That’s always a good thing. I’m too spoiled now with dtomcat18’s device though. Lol. I don’t want to go back to doing it the old way but it’s good to know I can and that people are still working to innovate and improve on processes. 

Thank you :)