OGXbox.com

Heat sink clamps

FrostyMaGee

19 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I did not know it was adhesive. Now I understand why it has always been so difficult to remove from the dies: It's fuckin' glue. I usually don't touch the thermal paste. I've never, ever had problems with overheating and if it isn't broken, I see no reason to fix it. Especially since I know the heatsink may be used as a handle in the future and I don't wanna fuck up the bridge. 

I replace it on every single one I work on. If you remove them without force it’s fine. The biggest pain is cleaning the old stuff out but things like articlean, etc work really well. Once I’ve replaced it temps are usually ten and sometimes 15 degrees cooler than they were previously. 

I’m still amazed that there are people who would think “you know what? I’ll just pry this heat sink off a chip with a screwdriver no matter how much force I have to apply.” Even well before the Xbox days I’d have never done that. Damn. Unfortunately there are a few YouTube videos out there that suggest this practice (I had to satisfy my curiosity and look around to see). One not only suggested that but pulled his caps off with a pair of pliers after getting them “loose enough” with an iron. Yikes. These weren’t clock caps either but cpu caps he was replacing. All I could think was how many people followed that shit advice and pulled the leads out of the caps or broke the legs off. It was a scary video. I don’t know what else to say about it but just wow. SMH. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

I’m still amazed that there are people who would think “you know what? I’ll just pry this heat sink off a chip with a screwdriver no matter how much force I have to apply.” Even well before the Xbox days I’d have never done that. Damn. Unfortunately there are a few YouTube videos out there that suggest this practice (I had to satisfy my curiosity and look around to see). One not only suggested that but pulled his caps off with a pair of pliers after getting them “loose enough” with an iron. Yikes. These weren’t clock caps either but cpu caps he was replacing. All I could think was how many people followed that shit advice and pulled the leads out of the caps or broke the legs off. It was a scary video. I don’t know what else to say about it but just wow. SMH. 

The funny thing is that desoldering guns aren't even that much money... Even if you were to just use a soldering iron and pull the legs out one by one and wiggle it back and forth while keeping the solder loose each time you go back and forth, It's a much better method than just ripping them out. Good lord...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

The funny thing is that desoldering guns aren't even that much money... Even if you were to just use a soldering iron and pull the legs out one by one and wiggle it back and forth while keeping the solder loose each time you go back and forth, It's a much better method than just ripping them out. Good lord...

Exactly! I’ve done it both with a desoldering gun or just taking 5-10 secs and “walk” one out as it were. Both are more than fine when removing radial caps. I just can’t imagine loosening one up a little with an iron and then throwing that aside and using a pair of needle nose pliers to rip it out the rest of the way. Aside from the possibility of having left over cap pieces you could rip the damn pads up as well. The inanity of some things on the internet rarely surprises me anymore but that video did. Lol. The video itself was done rather professionally but the advice was rubbish.