OGXbox.com

XBOX fault tree / repair guide

arfows

Is there an OG XBOX fault tree / repair guide out there somewhere?  I know its hard or near impossible to record or prep every possible scenario, but Going through this XBOX repair of mine I've found a lot of threads, youtube videos, and suggestions from you amazing folks, but nothing comprehensive on the repair side except an electrician who does some otherworldly stuff trying to determine the fault with a power supply. 

I know about the XBOX repair guide, but that doesn't have a fault tree like I envision.  Not saying a fault tree doesn't exist, just that I haven't come across one.  Since I'm trying to track down the Gremlin in my own XBOX and currently the Gremlin is winning, I thought through the process I would document what was done, and add in what could have been done so that it can be a resource for others, especially those new to the community, should -they suffer the same fate.  Again if one exists I don't want to re-create the wheel.

My XBOX knowledge is banal, so I would be relying on this community to keep me on the correct path, but I'd be willing to organize the thing if you all think it would be a worthwhile endeavor.

For example, first thing would be power on Y/N.  If No, swap power cords. -> No change ->check fuse functionality-> check plug solder joints. 

I'll attach a pic of a concept I quickly jotted down probably about a 10% complete, haven't thought it through too much or put any time into it since I don't know if its even needed -- and definitely not saying its the right way or the steps are even in order, but its a concept.  On the left side is a descriptive fault check pathway, on the right is the traditional fault tree.

Let me know if you think something like this would be value added.

image.jpeg.864dd9c74d35f3932cc157d257a45d76.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arfows said:

Is there an OG XBOX fault tree / repair guide out there somewhere?  I know its hard or near impossible to record or prep every possible scenario, but Going through this XBOX repair of mine I've found a lot of threads, youtube videos, and suggestions from you amazing folks, but nothing comprehensive on the repair side except an electrician who does some otherworldly stuff trying to determine the fault with a power supply. 

I know about the XBOX repair guide, but that doesn't have a fault tree like I envision.  Not saying a fault tree doesn't exist, just that I haven't come across one.  Since I'm trying to track down the Gremlin in my own XBOX and currently the Gremlin is winning, I thought through the process I would document what was done, and add in what could have been done so that it can be a resource for others, especially those new to the community, should -they suffer the same fate.  Again if one exists I don't want to re-create the wheel.

My XBOX knowledge is banal, so I would be relying on this community to keep me on the correct path, but I'd be willing to organize the thing if you all think it would be a worthwhile endeavor.

For example, first thing would be power on Y/N.  If No, swap power cords. -> No change ->check fuse functionality-> check plug solder joints. 

I'll attach a pic of a concept I quickly jotted down probably about a 10% complete, haven't thought it through too much or put any time into it since I don't know if its even needed -- and definitely not saying its the right way or the steps are even in order, but its a concept.  On the left side is a descriptive fault check pathway, on the right is the traditional fault tree.

Let me know if you think something like this would be value added.

image.jpeg.864dd9c74d35f3932cc157d257a45d76.jpeg

That sounds incredibly time consuming and exhaustively thorough. Although that maybe helpful to a lot of people if done well. It's not a bad idea at all! :)

Cool, thanks for the input.  I'll start with power functionality since that is the first question that needs to be asked...be forewarned that I'll be on here asking questions quite frequently as I try to run through in my head what the sequential problems would/could be and the corresponding troubleshooting necessary....and also pinging the forum for routine things they have seen as this gets compiled over the next few months.

do you mean what program am i using to draw/create it ... or do you mean how am i going to come up with the steps?

to draw/create it I will start with outline style and once a section gets mature I'll sketch it out in pencil first like I showed in the pic in the first post, and then I'm totally open to suggestions on what program to use...probably use word or ppt.  I like doing it outline style (like is on the left) and then creating the diagram after the outline is done.  However, if there's a free program out there that does that automatically I'm all for that.

to come up with the steps in the tree I'll start with the very limited things I know and rely on the forum to inject steps and solutions where I'm missing things.

Hope that answers your question, and totally open to suggestions on how to most efficiently create and make this as useful and accurate a tool as possible.

Edited by arfows
add'l info