• Similar Content

• By SS_Dave
      A while ago I had a version 1.0 box fail to boot intermittently and every time I moved the hard disk it would come good.
      The drive is a WD 500 gig Pata/Ide drive.
      I closed the power connectors in the molex plug and swapped the 40 way cable still the same. As I had nothing to lose I removed the PCB thinking it had dry solder joints on the power and 40 way connectors but I noticed the contacts for the heads and spindle motor are tarnished. A quick clean of the PCB and spring contacts with iso-propyol alcohol and reassemble and it has not missed a beat since (3 weeks and still going and before it was every 2nd day)
      I now have a Seagate 1tb from a desk computer with the same symptoms and after removing the PCB it looks the same. This drive is 2 years old and has had a max of 1.8tb data transferred to and from it so bugger all. and 1/3 for that was rescuing the data from it

Something to keep in mind for intermittent drive problems.

SS Dave

Those that can hard-mod, Those that can’t soft-mod.
    • By nikeymikey
      Just received my 2nd X3 Control Panel in the post today

Please login or register to see this attachment.
      Plugged it in and tested all looking good except for the dodgy bottom line of text on the LCD.... Anyone have any ideas?
    • By sinclairuser
      hi all, visited a mate today who recycles set top boxes, and discovered some interesting info, sky boxes contain seagate 500gb and 1tb(depending on model) he gave me some drives to test and they lock fine, i have tried 5 drives so far hdm built the drive fine and they lock fine.
      so considering you can get sky boxes free in the uk they may be a source of good drives, they are sata but the adapters seem to work fine, he did say some early boxes used ide drives 250gb and 500gb but any around in 2019 that are still running will be worn out,i know from my own experience that sata drives dont seem to wear as quickly as ide with constant write read rewrite cycles.
      so i would go for the sata option, and for normal xbox use 500gb or 1tb are big enough, not for a full library granted but then again who likes all games?.
      we tend to have favourites.

Board Life Status

Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.