OGXbox.com

Saving this old XBOX - Error 11

lahwoh7

Hi guys,

I recently picked-up my first Microsoft console ever, an original XBOX.
Since I like fixing stuff, I bought one with dead HDD (according to seller), not knowing it required more than just a brand new HDD to make it working again.

When the package was "delivered" (rip splinter cell, goodbye controller... see you soon xbox logo.), I tried to figure out what was wrong.
It seems that the HDD is not dead, but the DVD drive is (error 11).

I've been checking a lot a stuff, looking for leaks, dead capacitors or bad soldering. The seal was still on, so the DVD drive wasn't opened before I did. The console, however, have been.

I tried to replace the yellow power cable for the DVD drive and the IDE ribbon, nothing changed.
I also tried to hot swap the HDD to see if it was still alive (it makes a small scratching noise, but nothing serious), but wasn't able to open it with xplorer360 nor the linux fatx lib found on github. Since I'm running this into virtual machines and with an IDE to USB adapter, I'm not able to tell if the HDD is faulty yet.

So here is what I did yet:
- Checking motherboard (nothing)
- Checking HDD (can't get real information from it yet)
- Checking the DVD drive (didn't saw anything, but: It doesn't eject when using the xbox front panel, and seems to have no power. Even when starting the xbox with DVD drive open (tray out, shell off), I can see that nothing happens).
- Testing another yellow DVD drive cable.
- Testing a few IDE cables
- Changing the jumper on the HDD.

And so far...nothing. 

The console is a 1.1 version. If you have any idea, I'm looking forward to read it!

Thanks 

It would be easier to buy a xecuter chip, solder that bad boy in and get an IDE to sata converter with a new HDl. All in less then 100 bucks and you never need a DVD Drive. If you want to keep it original, then search on Facebook marketplace local for some other Xbox you can scavenge from.

Here is my rebuild:

Well, for now on I broke my usb to RCA device... A new one should be delivered today. But the great news is... this morning, I removed the ribbon going from the lens to the dvd drive board on lens side (only did the other previously), cleaned it up with alcool and... it spinning!

Still the xbox got a red flashing light and can't tell the issue until I got a way to get a screen working with it, but it's a great step.

Victory, second step! Got the xbox to boot without problem when using another IDE dvd drive (attaching the yellow ribbon to motherboard is not useful).

Kernel version is 1.00.4817.01, Dashboard is 1.00.5960.01. Now let's find out what's wrong with the official DVD drive.