OGXbox.com

Solid Green Light V1.2 (2003-01-04) How to repair?

diesel1024

Hey guys!

I have from what I can tell, an original Xbox V1.2 (Made in china with factory code 30). This xbox has never been opened and has worked perfectly without issue for the 4 years or so I've had it. Recently I was doing a run of story mode on Halo and went to turn it on when my friend came over and it works like it should, but displays no video or audio, turns on fine, you can hear the hdd spin up, disc drive works like normal, but of course you can't play since theres no video or audio output. It has a solid green right when turning on. I would prefer to keep it stock if possible, but ultimately I want this console to be usable, and furthermore I would like to continue my saves. I would be willing to pay extra for parts if I can keep it stock. I repair consumer electronics for a living (MacBooks, Smart Phones, etc.) so I most likely wouldn't have any issues soldering or performing repairs. Any suggestions on what to perform to get this Xbox working again would be extremely helpful! 

Thank you,

Jack

From your description, it's a "COMA" console.  The simple repair trick only works on v1.0 and v1.1 Xboxes with 1MB flash memory chips, not v1.2-v1.4s that only have 256KB devices installed.  One bit in the wrong spot that has flipped from a 0 to a 1 can prevent the BIOS from properly initializing the console.  Thus, the blank screen and no audio.

The manfacturer of the flash memory chips state a longevity of data storage without loss/corruption as 20 years. 

What is the MFG date of your Xbox? Edit: Oops, you already stated that in the title of the original post - 2003-01-04.

What are the last 5 digits of the serial number?

The simple repair for a v1.2 console, is to purchase and install a modchip.  The modchip will get the console back up and running but it will not repair what I believe is a corrupted BIOS stored on the flash memory chip on the motherboard. 

To test and repair a corrupt BIOS, unsolder the flash memory chip from the motherboard, read its content with an external programmer. Compare the content to a known good copy of the version that is installed on your Xbox.  If it is in fact corrupted, reflash/write the BIOS to the chip with the external programmer then reinstall it onto the motherboard.

China is not a factory code of 30.

Serial Number Format: LNNNNNN YWWFF

• L is the number of the production line within the factory.

• NNNNNN is the number of the Xbox produced during the workweek.

• Y is the last digit of the production year.

• WW is the number of the week of the production year.

• FF is the code of the factory where the Xbox was manufactured

FF - Factory Codes

Factory

Revision

Mexico

1.0 or 1.1

Hungary

China

1.2 (or later)

Taiwan

1.2 (or later)

I apologize, gave the wrong info there. 

Was basing off of this, I definitely have to pay attention better! Actual factory code is 05. I'll have to look into that process and give it a shot. Any recommended external programmer for this process?

Table 3.3 Serial Number Check

Serial Number

Revision

LNNNNNN 20WFF

LNNNNNN 21WFF

LNNNNNN 23WFF

1.0, 1.1

LNNNNNN 24WFF

LNNNNNN 25WFF

LNNNNNN 30WFF

LNNNNNN 31WFF

LNNNNNN 32WFF