OGXbox.com

Replace/repair Thompson DVD drive?

Lewis1122

Hi everyone. I have a 2001 model Xbox with the Thompson drive. It's struggling to read certain game disks (or not reading them at all) despite the disks being in great condition. Other games will run just fine.

I already tried doing the pot tweak on the laser and it helped for about 3 hours until it was crashing with disk read errors again. I believe the drive is on its way out.

My question is, what is the best way to go about fixing it? It seems like the newer Samsung drives are supposedly more reliable, but they are extremely hard to find. Does anyone sell repair kits for these Thompson drives? Would it be possible to use a newer SATA DVD drive with a SATA-IDE adapter? 

19 hours ago, Lewis1122 said:

Hi everyone. I have a 2001 model Xbox with the Thompson drive. It's struggling to read certain game disks (or not reading them at all) despite the disks being in great condition. Other games will run just fine.

I already tried doing the pot tweak on the laser and it helped for about 3 hours until it was crashing with disk read errors again. I believe the drive is on its way out.

My question is, what is the best way to go about fixing it? It seems like the newer Samsung drives are supposedly more reliable, but they are extremely hard to find. Does anyone sell repair kits for these Thompson drives? Would it be possible to use a newer SATA DVD drive with a SATA-IDE adapter? 

Read through here:

SMDs on the boards can go bad. Resistor arrays and caps. There is currently no way to use a sata drive that I am aware of. @FrostyMaGee

On 1/10/2024 at 2:06 PM, Lewis1122 said:

You might be able to salvage the drive by purchasing a new Top-60 laser.

14 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Read through here:

SMDs on the boards can go bad. Resistor arrays and caps. There is currently no way to use a sata drive that I am aware of. @FrostyMaGee

That would be great but I’m also unaware of a way to make that function. I’d start with caps and resistor arrays if I was him. 

2 hours ago, Shmingers said:

You might be able to salvage the drive by purchasing a new Top-60 laser.

Those work well once you get the potentiometer set to spec. The problem right now is finding one. Granted I haven’t looked in about six months but every place seemed to be out of stock and what few said they had them in stock seemed sketchy. Maybe they’re back in circulation now though.