OGXbox.com

Xbox won’t boot after Chimp clone

ChronicHedgehog

Motherboard fragged so I bought a version 1.1 replacement with paired hard drive.

Board boots. Plays games, etc. Removed leaky clock cap, cleaned board.

Soft modded system with Rocky 5. Attempted TSOP, but the files wouldn’t copy. Worked fine with cables soldered in place, but started getting an error on boot. Removed TSOP wires, boots normally.

Eventually get Chimp installed and working with composite cables. Won’t boot into the modern interface even though I’m using the latest release. It’s some antiquated version. After some frustration, I figure it out.

Chimp reads both drives correctly, both stock and 240GB SSD via a Startech IDE to SATA Adapter verified working with my original 1.0 motherboard. Do a quick clone, clone C and E only, lock to motherboard. Set jumper to master. Will not boot with the new drive, black screen after Xbox logo. Start the procedure over, this time Chimp decides to do a slow clone. Completes overnight, lock drive to motherboard. Shut down system.

Come back hours later. Error 7 on boot. Xbox logo, no Microsoft logo, then error screen. Reset all IDE and power connections multiple times, same issue. Examine ports annd connectors for debree. Order a new 80 pin IDE cable, same exact issue. Try booting with SSD, Xbox logo, Microsoft logo, then black screen. Try booting with safe mode, get an error 9 with the SSD, but only once or twice. Reseat all connectors, no difference.

Have the EEPROM and HD key so I’m able to mount and browse the cloned SSD on PC with FatXplorer. Appreciate any help here, this is driving me nuts.

Edited by ChronicHedgehog

50 minutes ago, ChronicHedgehog said:

Motherboard fragged so I bought a version 1.1 replacement with paired hard drive.

Board boots. Plays games, etc. Removed leaky clock cap, cleaned board.

Soft modded system with Rocky 5. Attempted TSOP, but the files wouldn’t copy. Worked fine with cables soldered in place, but started getting an error on boot. Removed TSOP wires, boots normally.

Eventually get Chimp installed and working with composite cables. Won’t boot into the modern interface even though I’m using the latest release. It’s some antiquated version. After some frustration, I figure it out.

Chimp reads both drives correctly, both stock and 240GB SSD via a Startech IDE to SATA Adapter verified working with my original 1.0 motherboard. Do a quick clone, clone C and E only, lock to motherboard. Set jumper to master. Will not boot with the new drive, black screen after Xbox logo. Start the procedure over, this time Chimp decides to do a slow clone. Completes overnight, lock drive to motherboard. Shut down system.

Come back hours later. Error 7 on boot. Xbox logo, no Microsoft logo, then error screen. Reset all IDE and power connections multiple times, same issue. Examine ports annd connectors for debree. Order a new 80 pin IDE cable, same exact issue. Try booting with SSD, Xbox logo, Microsoft logo, then black screen. Try booting with safe mode, get an error 9 with the SSD, but only once or twice. Reseat all connectors, no difference.

Have the EEPROM and HD key so I’m able to mount and browse the cloned SSD on PC with FatXplorer. Appreciate any help here, this is driving me nuts.

Thank you for including so much damn detail. This will help us a lot more as we try to help YOU. :) ALmost nobody includes detail and we have to ask further questions. But why is your text highlighted? It freaked me out, man.

You know what? Just for shits and giggles, I want you to try to use a HDD that isn't an SSD. Just use a platter drive. See if it helps. Got a spare laying around?

9 minutes ago, ChronicHedgehog said:

It was copied and pasted from another forum, didn’t notice with my orange computer glasses on. I have plenty of spare SATA drives, I suspect the slow clone killed the original drive.

Ah. Lol. Orange computer glasses? Do they help protect your eyes?

... Why do you suspect that your source drive got killed by the slow clone?

If your old drive still boots fine, go ahead and use a platter SATA to clone to, see if that works.

I was actually wanting to suggest what dtomcat just suggested. trying to read with FATXplorer. :) Not a BAD idea as long as your xbox is open.

Unfortunately, I am in the 5% of people sensitive to blue light and the fluorescent lights at work give me an instant migraine. I don’t have a way to connect an IDE drive to any of my computers, if the drive is good why does it give me an error 7 when trying to boot? I tried changing the jumper to auto select, that’s about the the extent of the troubleshooting I can do with it. I have the drive from old motherboard, can’t remember if it’s locked or what.

26 minutes ago, ChronicHedgehog said:

Unfortunately, I am in the 5% of people sensitive to blue light and the fluorescent lights at work give me an instant migraine. I don’t have a way to connect an IDE drive to any of my computers, if the drive is good why does it give me an error 7 when trying to boot? I tried changing the jumper to auto select, that’s about the the extent of the troubleshooting I can do with it. I have the drive from old motherboard, can’t remember if it’s locked or what.

If your source drive is giving you, basically, timeout errors on a stock connection with the DVD drive, then that is a pretty good sign that it is failing, yes. Get a cheap IDE to USB adapter and check the drive. It may not be an immediate fix. But I would try something other than chimp if you really wanna clone this drive. Are you trying to preserve saves? Or you just don't want the layout to change and you like things the way they are?

The username: Are you a perpetual hedgehog... or a hedgehog who smokes weed? lol

Forgot to mention I tired booting without the DVD drive, no luck. Just to be clear, with original drive installed, Xbox logo, NO Microsoft logo, error 7 screen.

With cloned SSD, Xbox logo, Microsoft logo, then black screen. Got an error 9 once or twice after the MS logo but only when attempting to boot with Rocky 5 safe mode (Start + Y).

I don’t need to preserve anything, it’s been years since I TSOP’d my Xbox and I was simply following tutorials. My knowledge of other methods is fuzzy at this point.

Resolved the issue somewhat. Created a stock BIOS drive with FatXplorer and a 250GB SATA HDD, everything works fine. Tried the same exact process with the ADATA SU800 240GB SSD, the Xbox FRAGs and gets a consistent error 9 on boot. Setting the jumper to cable select doesn’t matter. My best guess is the SSD is incompatible and the slow clone killed the original drive. It’s not uncommon for old mechanical drives to die shortly after data transfers.

Resetting the video cable on black screen had no effect.

• Like 1

More progress. Installed the proper Kernal font, copied files to PC. Copied updated files to SSD, error 9 on boot, SSD will now boots with safe mode, but the system will freeze during game play.

EDIT: Added a font delay and the system is booting normally with SSD installed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChronicHedgehog said:

More progress. Installed the proper Kernal font, copied files to PC. Copied updated files to SSD, error 9 on boot, SSD will now boots with safe mode, but the system will freeze during game play.

EDIT: Added a font delay and the system is booting normally with SSD installed!

Font delay? What the hell?

Nice work, buddy!

15 minutes ago, ChronicHedgehog said:

It was this thread that helped me. There appears to be a kernal font and loading issue with certain SSD’s. Rocky5 has generic kernal font enabled by default.

Yes… the name is a double entendre based on those old “Chronic the Hedgehog” weed shirts

I admire your resourcefulness. Cool. How odd that something like that would cause an issue.

I actually remember those shirts. lol