OGXbox.com

Xbox gives no video output when enabling HD

RoflSirOfTheLawl

I'm very new to the modding scene. I'm using pretty cheap Component cables but everything looks and sounds fine in 480i. I've tried using MS dash to enable the settings but it seems to have no effect. It stays ON in MS even after reboot but there's no change. Once I enable any of the HD settings in UnleashX and reboot, I hear everything but no video outputs. I've tried each one 1 at a time and just 2 and all 3. Same result, no video output.

For info, It's a v1.6 with an Aladdin XT, I Added 2Tb HDD. Unlocked. And it's NTSC.

Am I missing something simple or could this be bad cables or motherboard issue? Every guide I've seen makes it look so simple.

When I plug in my composite cable it will automatically reboot and I don't have the option to enable or disable HD. 

I can't set it to default with composite cables. The only way I can undo it is by listening the audio and going through the menu blind and changing it back with my component cable. Which isn't that difficult. 

I can't find this specific issue here so if it exists I'd be happy to read the thread. 

Thank you.

With a composite cable attached, you cannot see the high-defintion settings they are disabled by the stock dashboard because a composite cable cannot be used to display them.  A high-definition AV pack or component cable has to be connected to the console.

And, if you have a CRT TV set that has component video inputs (Red, Green, Blue video inputs), it most likely can only display 480p no higher resolutions.

Edit: With component AV cables connected, the console will output 480i when none of the high-definition resolutions 480p, 720p and 1080i are enabled in the Xbox's stock MS dashboard.

I have both Composite and Component cables. If I attach the Component cables the options for HD will be able to be turned on. If I select them (either or both 480/720) and reboot, the Xbox will not display any video, only audio. I have to listen to the menu clicks and reverse it blind. 

I only meant once I get black screened, I can switch to composite cables and I'll get video, because it forces 480i, but I cannot edit the HD settings "off" with that cable. (Like edit them off for the other cable) So even though with composite it's not in HD anymore, if I switch cables again the setting are saved HD on, so no video outputs. So I have to switch HD off blind with a component cable.

Also, the TV in using is 1080p but it scales find with any device I've used so far.

I don't think I can edit this post so here's the update.

I got a 2nd Xbox and tried it with my TV. Exact same result sooo. I borrowed a 720p TV (LCD if it matters) with Component inputs and... It worked like a charm... On both.

I truly have no idea what is stopping my TV (which I can select in menu to force 720p if I want) from receiving the Xbox HD output.

If anyone wants to brainstorm you are welcome to, but we can go ahead and let this post die. It's a TV issue, not and Xbox issue.