OGXbox.com

Halo 2 excessive pop-in

Alright so I got an original Xbox a few months ago, and got Halo 2 with it. I played through the game, but noticed something. The models\textures in game and in cutscenes have extreme pop-in and it looks really bad. I watched og xbox Halo 2 campaign videos on YouTube and their’s isn’t nearly as bad as mine. Also, levels take a while to load when booting up the game. Does anyone know why this is? If so, please tell me. I’m a little worried that something’s wrong with my xbox.

Could be signs of capacitors going bad. I hear some people say it starts to affect the in game graphics. You’re going to want to open that thing up and check the caps’ condition and remove the clock cap for good, if you’re on any revision before a 1.6 

5 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Could be signs of capacitors going bad. I hear some people say it starts to affect the in game graphics. You’re going to want to open that thing up and check the caps’ condition and remove the clock cap for good, if you’re on any revision before a 1.6 

Ok, thanks. How long could it be before the caps ruin the Xbox? Could it be a while, or could it be soon?

That’s an impossible question to answer. These things are up to 23 years old now. Cap lifespan varies so much due to climate, usage, smokers home, etc. every Xbox is treated differently and a 23 year old cap isn’t long for this world. 

I 100% can tell you that any amount of time with leakage on the board is just allowing it to eat through the traces. First thing I do with every Xbox these days, is open them up and replace the caps. 

Edited by MadMartigan

2 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

That’s an impossible question to answer. These things are up to 23 years old now. Cap lifespan varies so much due to climate, usage, smokers home, etc. every Xbox is treated differently and a 23 year old cap isn’t long for this world. 

I 100% can tell you that any amount of time with leakage on the board is just allowing it to eat through the traces. First thing I do with every Xbox these days, is open them up and replace the caps. 

Alright, thanks for the info. I’ll take a look at it.

• Like 1