OGXbox.com

XBox Samsung SDG-605 tray jam

Mabus

Hey all.

I have a recent acquisition of an OG Xbox with a Samsung DVD drive that is properly jammed.  It's a Samsung Model SDG-605.  The front white tab is completely loose.  I've tried to pop the tray loose via the small white tab on the bottom of the DVD drive and cannot get this thing to budge.

I reviewed the disassembly guide here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050406225941/http://llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/Samsung_DVD_Complete_Disassembly.htm

Is there any way to get this tray out without getting it fully extended? Any ideas / suggestions?

Edited by Mabus

If it’s the white tab I’m thinking of it shouldn’t be very loose. Pressing the two tabs on each side is the only way to remove the tray. From what you’ve said it sounds like their might be a broken piece impeding the movement though. Could you put up some photos of the area? Also can you see anything in the gear and belt area towards the front?

Edited by FrostyMaGee

You got me pointed in the right direction. It appears the gear on the left side of the tray had broken loose and is impeding the tray from coming out. The gear was catching the bottom of disk indention and would not move past that point.  I subsequently press down on the gear while moving the tray forward and pulling up on the tray. It has just about come out. You can also see that the white push tab pushed all the way in; it was loose because it has popped off the sliding tray.

image.thumb.jpeg.01cb8ede2eacce872af6c0ec5555297f.jpegIimage.thumb.jpeg.bbf3188bc3555082322f4bee8c0431b9.jpeg

Edited by Mabus
typo
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately that’s the spot I was thinking might be broken. I had one similar where the previous owner tried to force it open and broke the front bezel piece and had also broken that gear loose. Actually it wasn’t the gear as much as the plastic piece it mounted to on the frame. There wasn’t any way to repair mine. I tried gluing (even with a two part epoxy) but it was such a small area and a stress point that it would never hold for long before coming loose again. I ended up swapping out the frame with a parts Samsung I had.