OGXbox.com

Error 21 repair?

ka5ug4

I tried to load a DVD-R of the Rocky5 extras disc (trying to TSOP flash with a lost usb cable and nonworking Ethernet), and now my system throws up an error 21 on boot...

The HDD refuses to be recognized by fatxplorer (could the locking be the cause?) after attaching it to my PC via this adapter.

I'm considering just trying a modchip, although the only I found so far (OpenXenium) requires internet for a BIOS flash, so I'm hoping there's a way to make this drive bootable again.

Do you have the eeprom.bin file from your xbox saved on your PC?

FATXplorer 3.0 beta will not be able to access the drive's content until it is unlocked.

While the hard drive is connected to your PC with the Vantec adapter, start a cmd.exe window and type in the following command:

• wmic diskdrive get model,name

What is its output?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Is your hard drive a 3.5" drive or 2.5" drive?

USB alone cannot power a 3.5" drive. It requires a power supply to provide 5Vdc and 12Vdc to the hard drive.

Its a 3.5" drive connected via an external power supply (forgot to mention that.)

I also forgot to add that I tried the Xbox Live disc method, (Halo 2 was used) and I still got the error.

25 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

FATXplorer 3.0 beta will not be able to access the drive's content until it is unlocked.

While the hard drive is connected to your PC with the Vantec adapter, start a cmd.exe window and type in the following command:

What is its output?

I forgot all about the eeprom, where would I put the .bin file?

11 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

On your PC somewhere.  IIRC, FATXplorer asks you to browse to where you place it.

Strange, it didn't ask me anything about the EEPROM.

53 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

What is its output?

SAMSUNG MZ7TD128HAFV-000L1 ATA Device \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1

ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0

Innostor Ext. HDD USB Device \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2

Fatxplorer doesn't recognize the drive at all...

Edited by ka5ug4

11 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Did you go to the HDD Security Tools page?

Yes, and gave it the EEPROM. Unfortunately, it can't detect the disc:

Found USB device "Innostor Ext. HDD USB Device" @ "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2"
-Checking this device for HDD and MU storage...
--Failed to check this device for HDD and MU storage, details: DiskStream.Init: IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO failed: The device is not ready. (0x80070015)
-Finished checking this device for HDD and MU storage
-Checking this device for Xbox 360 USB storage...
--This device doesn't have any partitions
-Finished checking this device for Xbox 360 USB storage
-Finished with this device

9 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Which of these is the Xbox hard drive?

“Innostor Ext. HDD USB Device \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2”

3 hours ago, ka5ug4 said:

Yes, and gave it the EEPROM. Unfortunately, it can't detect the disc:

Found USB device "Innostor Ext. HDD USB Device" @ "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2"
-Checking this device for HDD and MU storage...
--Failed to check this device for HDD and MU storage, details: DiskStream.Init: IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO failed: The device is not ready. (0x80070015)
-Finished checking this device for HDD and MU storage
-Checking this device for Xbox 360 USB storage...
--This device doesn't have any partitions
-Finished checking this device for Xbox 360 USB storage
-Finished with this device

“Innostor Ext. HDD USB Device \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2”

You are using the ogXbox 3.0 Beta release, not the 2.5 Xbox360 version.

Two files to download on this webpage:

https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/3-0-beta/

21 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

You are using the ogXbox 3.0 Beta release, not the 2.5 Xbox360 version.

Two files to download on this webpage:

https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/3-0-beta/

23 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

Are you using the normal FatXplorer or the Beta? 

I’m using the latest beta as of writing (3.0.0.24644) as the website says “This version [2.5.4.15047] only supports Xbox 360 devices. Original Xbox devices are supported in the 3.0 beta version.”

21 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

This adapter may not be compatible with the application.

Run usbview.exe to determine this adapter's chipset - idVendor and idProduct values.

usbview.exe 82.82 kB · 25 downloads 942871748_usbview.exe-Screenshot2021-11-02163949.png.dbc2ed209a6e0fde4c8088092485433f.png

The output is:

idVendor:           0x1F75
idProduct:          0x0611

13 hours ago, ka5ug4 said:

I’m using the latest beta as of writing (3.0.0.24644) as the website says “This version [2.5.4.15047] only supports Xbox 360 devices. Original Xbox devices are supported in the 3.0 beta version.”

The output is:

idVendor:           0x1F75
idProduct:          0x0611

On the HDD Locking Tool page, click on the Options text at the top right side of its title bar.  Select SAT as the type.  Unlock the drive then go back to the Devices page and click Refresh. 

Is the device/Xbox hard drive found?

Edit: If these steps do not work, you will need to check the current firmware version on your adapter to make sure it is version 0937 as per these compatibility notes for the unlocking software:

If IDE/PATA drives don't work (unsupported scsi opcode), try updating the firmware and running the command with the -d sat,12 argument (a Google search for "IS611 firmware" will bring you a Windows utility to upgrade the firmware to version 0937)

I've attached the firmware updater archive to this post:

IS611MPToolv103.rar

Source: Innostor IS611 MP Tool v1.0.3 – [USBDev.ru]

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

On the HDD Locking Tool page, click on the Options text at the top right side of its title bar.  Select SAT as the type.  Unlock the drive then go back to the Devices page and click Refresh. 

Is the device/Xbox hard drive found?

Edit: If these steps do not work, you will need to check the current firmware version on your adapter to make sure it is version 0937 as per these compatibility notes for the unlocking software:

I've attached the firmware updater archive to this post:

IS611MPToolv103.rar 347.75 kB · 0 downloads

Source: Innostor IS611 MP Tool v1.0.3 – [USBDev.ru]

When I scanned (before and after the firmware upgrade) all I get was: “Failed to check the status of Innostar Ext. HDD USB Device. Read Device Identity failed: IOXTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT failed, Error=121. Try changing the device type in Options menu.”

On 2/20/2023 at 1:56 PM, ka5ug4 said:

When I scanned (before and after the firmware upgrade) all I get was: “Failed to check the status of Innostar Ext. HDD USB Device. Read Device Identity failed: IOXTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT failed, Error=121. Try changing the device type in Options menu.”

Did you change the Type in the Options menu to SAT?

• 2 months later...

Apologies for never responding, but I'll give an update on what happened to ensure nobody in the future is left in the dark:

The AGPTek one didn't work either so I bought another one. The new not only didn't work, but had the power supply explode!

Suffice to say I've decided the only true fix for myself would be to hardmod with an OpenXenium chip.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ka5ug4 said:

Apologies for never responding, but I'll give an update on what happened to ensure nobody in the future is left in the dark:

The AGPTek one didn't work either so I bought another one. The new not only didn't work, but had the power supply explode!

Suffice to say I've decided the only true fix for myself would be to hardmod with an OpenXenium chip.

Kudos for choosing the openXenium over a god damn Aladdin chip. :) You made my day. Happy modding.

• Like 1