OGXbox.com

Help! Aladdin Xblast FRAG but Xbox works with it disconnected (Green light)

Hispano

Hello everyone! I will tell you about my problem: I have an Xbox 1.0 with TSOP and 128Mb of RAM (I bought it pre-modified), I have tried to install an Aladdin Xblast by soldering the pinheaders to the LPC port and soldering point D0 of the motherboard to D0 of the chip (I have also tried soldering D0 from motherboard to ground on motherboard) and got FRAG.

I have followed Barnito's Lpc Diagnostics (V0.1) guide (https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/239-lpc-diagnostics-v01/#comment-945) to verify voltages and continuity.
With respect to continuity everything is correct except pin 2 and with respect to voltages everything is correct (+-10% of the correct voltage) except pin 1 0V and pin 5 1.7V.

If I disconnect the D0 cable from the chip or ground, or if I disconnect the Aladdin chip, the console boots correctly with the Cerbios bios that I flashed in the TSOP and boots my Xbmc4gamers.

What could be the problem? (if photos are necessary, I'll take them later when I get home from work)

It sounds like a soldering issue and pictures of you work will help.

You do know you can also run Xblast as an app/program from the HDD or as a live app on the OGXbox installer DVD v1.5.4 from here

https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I will post pics of my welding job later when I get back home.

16 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

You do know you can also run Xblast as an app/program from the HDD or as a live app on the OGXbox installer DVD v1.5.4 from here

Yes, I know, but I can only boot the console with the Aladdin chip disconnected, so Xblast doesn't recognize it and only recognizes my TSOP

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Hello again! Here you have the photos of the solderings that I have done, I have reviewed pin 1 and pin 5 a bit but I have not achieved anything productive. I hope it helps to find a solution

IMG_20230217_203452.jpg.301d2884caae59b8492566c7f69edbe4.jpgIMG_20230217_203502.jpg.7715b066ffb905e5c603b96d0dd3667d.jpgIMG_20230217_203544.jpg.088381b24761378733eeb2e7c86f2923.jpgIMG_20230217_203946.jpg.259f3fe28c05bd09100c919d3389c4e4.jpgIMG_20230217_203434.jpg.301f660023de2b2aa4ae1eb640b073e4.jpg

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Here you can see my Xbox booting fine with TSOP (Aladdin disconected)

IMG_20230217_204016.jpg.4ea41b65acd27fc35a16ce2ac990b175.jpg

Here you can see too the voltages booting with and without modchip coneected:

PIN BOOTING WITH ALADDIN (FRAG) BOOTING WITHOUT ALADDIN CONNECTED (BOOT TSOP BIOS – CERBIOS)
1 0 1,63
2 0 0
3 3,28 3,25
4 -  
5 0,15 0,33
6 5,05 4,98
7 3,25 3,22
8 3,27 3,21
9 3,28 3,26
10 3,25 3,23
11 3,25 3,23
12 0 0

By the way, on pin 5 before applying my soldering iron again to it, it gave +-3.3V... Now it gives very low voltages both with and without the chip

Some of the soldering doesn't look that good in particular the ones in red that look like a cold solder joint.

IMG-20230217-203452.jpg

767366777_Commonsolderproblems.thumb.jpg.27a83262c99d95388a4a04e530fc452e.jpg

Apply about 50% less solder and set your iron a bit hotter.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Some of the soldering doesn't look that good in particular the ones in red that look like a cold solder joint.

IMG-20230217-203452.jpg

767366777_Commonsolderproblems.thumb.jpg.27a83262c99d95388a4a04e530fc452e.jpg

Apply about 50% less solder and set your iron a bit hotter.

Cheers

SS Dave

Hi Dave! I have soldered again the pins that you have indicated and some more that I thought had a lot of soldering (seeing now the pictures, i think that pin 10 is bad soldered  😔), I keep getting FRAG with the Aladdin chip connected and booting without the chip connected. I show you images of how the pins have been soldered now (by the way now it gives the correct voltages if I measure them booting without the chip connected):

IMG_20230218_195322.thumb.jpg.2b990450cee13fd237255fb626e09f78.jpgIMG_20230218_195336.thumb.jpg.1073a027af078c4723e6ca123023a8b6.jpgIMG_20230218_195352.thumb.jpg.10f126e5fe57b7b7bf3f63825c426d4f.jpgIMG_20230218_195301.thumb.jpg.c349ae6f52a912fe69bb1b76ba2ecff3.jpg

7 hours ago, Hispano said:

I keep getting FRAG with the Aladdin chip connected and booting without the chip connected.

What happens if you just disconnect the D0 wire ( Your red wire ) from the mod-chip but leave the chip still plugged to the MB?

Can you post a pic of the mod-chip component side?

I would still like to see about 50% less solder on each joint ( use some de-solder braid ) and then it should look better.

Cheers

SS Dave

11 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

What happens if you just disconnect the D0 wire ( Your red wire ) from the mod-chip but leave the chip still plugged to the MB?

With the D0 wire disconnected the chip shows a red light and my Xbox boots normal from TSOP flashed with Cerbios 2.2.1b.... Do you have any idea what might be going wrong?
By the way, tomorrow I'll try to remove some solder (+-50%) with a desoldering braid (I hope I don't remove all the solder, I'm pretty bad at using it 😔)

11 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Can you post a pic of the mod-chip component side?

IMG_20230219_153014.thumb.jpg.aadc36ccc0545e461ffed4b66e2edd12.jpg

Edited by Hispano

6 hours ago, Hispano said:

With the D0 wire disconnected the chip shows a red light and my Xbox boots normal from TSOP flashed with Cerbios 2.2.1b.... Do you have any idea what might be going wrong?
By the way, tomorrow I'll try to remove some solder (+-50%) with a desoldering braid (I hope I don't remove all the solder, I'm pretty bad at using it 😔)

IMG_20230219_153014.thumb.jpg.aadc36ccc0545e461ffed4b66e2edd12.jpg

The Aladdin chip is not shipped with a 49lf080A from the factory  and unless someone has flashed a bios in that chip then it will be blank.

Cheers

SS Dave

1 hour ago, Prehistoricman said:

Are you sure there's a valid BIOS on the Aladdin?

38 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The Aladdin chip is not shipped with a 49lf080A from the factory  and unless someone has flashed a bios in that chip then it will be blank.

Cheers

SS Dave

I bought the chip from modzvilleusa.com(https://modzvilleusa.com/products/xbox-xblast-aladdin-xt-plus-2-w-1mb-cpld-upgraded-chip-for-ogxbox) and it have 3 banks (512+256kb) and another with xblast flashed

4 hours ago, Hispano said:

I bought the chip from modzvilleusa.com(https://modzvilleusa.com/products/xbox-xblast-aladdin-xt-plus-2-w-1mb-cpld-upgraded-chip-for-ogxbox) and it have 3 banks (512+256kb) and another with xblast flashed

That explains the 49lf080 chip, it should be booting to the Xblast OS then with the power button what happens is you power on with the eject button?

Cheers

SS Dave

4 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

That explains the 49lf080 chip, it should be booting to the Xblast OS then with the power button what happens is you power on with the eject button?

I tried booting with eject too but i always get FRAG 😟 I only got  boot without chip or D0 connected

Edited by Hispano

13 hours ago, Hispano said:

If I'm wrong, someone correct me, but I think the Xbox is supposed to FRAG with a chip installed and D0 not grounded, so that would mean either your soldering is no good (and I've seen worse work before) or the chip is no good. Maybe if you have another chipped Xbox, you could test it in that, or if you own another modchip you could throw that in and see if it works. 

2 hours ago, Hispano said:

I tried booting with eject too but i always get FRAG 😟 I only got  boot without chip or D0 connected

You have two options 

1st is the chip is faulty, If you have another Xbox that's got a mod chip swap it to that one and see if it works.

2nd it's not connecting to the main board.

Check the voltages while the chip is connected to the main board and powered up as per this pic

Xblast-chip.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

56 minutes ago, SoftMachine said:

If I'm wrong, someone correct me, but I think the Xbox is supposed to FRAG with a chip installed and D0 not grounded

This and others like a X3, Open Xenium can control the D0 line so if you choose to boot from the onboard bios (TSOP) the chip doesn't ground the D0 and it only grounds the D0 point to use the bios on the mod-chip

Cheers

SS Dave

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Check the voltages while the chip is connected to the main board and powered up as per this pic

Xblast-chip.jpg

Thanks Dave, should i check voltages with D0 connected to chip?

5 hours ago, SoftMachine said:

If I'm wrong, someone correct me, but I think the Xbox is supposed to FRAG with a chip installed and D0 not grounded, so that would mean either your soldering is no good (and I've seen worse work before) or the chip is no good. Maybe if you have another chipped Xbox, you could test it in that, or if you own another modchip you could throw that in and see if it works. 

I always can boot right from TSOP with the chip connected but without D0 connected, i cant boot from chip to XblasOS to select bios banks (2) or TSOP.I can always boot directly from TSOP with the chip connected but without D0 connected, what I can't do is boot from the chip to XblasOS to select the BIOS banks (2) or TSOP with D0 connected to the chip.

13 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Hi Dave! Do you have any idea what might be wrong? All voltages seems right except 3 points in the chip. Here are my voltages:

IMG_20230217_203545.jpg.364fe20524f2e4d04d6fdefa6a943c0b.jpg

Edited by Hispano

4 hours ago, Hispano said:

Hi Dave! Do you have any idea what might be wrong? All voltages seems right except 3 points in the chip. Here are my voltages:

IMG_20230217_203545.jpg.364fe20524f2e4d04d6fdefa6a943c0b.jpg

Your LCLK and LRESET seem dead.

In your previous results, LCLK on pin 1 was 1.7V which looks good. This indicates that there is a disconnect between the Aladdin and the LPC header. Check continuity from pin 1 to that corner hole that read 0.02V.

Also check continuity of LRESET (pin 5) to the hole that reads 0.21V.

10 minutes ago, Prehistoricman said:

Your LCLK and LRESET seem dead.

In your previous results, LCLK on pin 1 was 1.7V which looks good. This indicates that there is a disconnect between the Aladdin and the LPC header. Check continuity from pin 1 to that corner hole that read 0.02V

Dead in motherboard? 😳 i got 1.7V on pin 1 measuring the voltage without my chip connected but when i connected it i always got +-0V

13 minutes ago, Prehistoricman said:

Also check continuity of LRESET (pin 5) to the hole that reads 0.21V.

How can i check continuity with the modchip connected? I checked it with my motherboard disconnected against the points in the bottom from barnito's guide

Can you do a resistance test between the mod chip pin 1 ( the point that's reading 0.02volt) and pin 1 on the MB (the pin that was reading 1.7 volt)

You will need access to both sides of the board.

And if you can test all the other pins as well 

Cheers

SS Dave