OGXbox.com

Multiple dpsn-96ap v1.0 power supplies with burnt up resistor

SoftMachine

I recently bought a few 1.0 consoles with "no power" issues, 2 of them have this same 47K resistor marked R902 (measured from a good psu) and surrounding area burned, both resistors are basically ash. I have a couple of questions, is this a common issue with this model psu, is replacing these burnt components likely to save these things, or is the issue probably caused by something else that sent too much power through the resistor, such as the large transistor in front of it?

IMG-1386.thumb.jpg.4f0fc529f0b3f1b26f58d1f3f223542b.jpgIMG-1390.thumb.jpg.ccc764b00c5efffffbbf0ea9e9b28d47.jpgIMG-1391.thumb.jpg.aabf5774b05a41c40b65bb55bba253e4.jpg

Here's a pic of what it's supposed to look like:

IMG_20230215_184115.jpg.3069b2ecfbd6f9b8c46c2ec4d21eb676.jpg

17 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

To me, they needed to use a larger wattage resistor and mount it vertical instead of horizontal right on the PCB or at least lift it off the board so it was not touching it.

I think it's more the diode that's caused the burning as it's probably working at close to it's rated current, It and the resistor next to it should have defiantly been mounted at least 3mm ( 1/8inch ) or 4mm ( 5/32) up from the PCB.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

@Prehistoricman @KaosEngineer @SS_Dave Good to know, I'm gonna try and replace the cap, diode, and resistors in that area and see if it lights on fire again :] The diode is a 1N4007, so 1kV 1A, should I look for something higher? Also, I'm not so good at telling resistor wattage from the size of the thing, any idea what wattage rating I should shoot for?

2 hours ago, SoftMachine said:

@Prehistoricman @KaosEngineer @SS_Dave Good to know, I'm gonna try and replace the cap, diode, and resistors in that area and see if it lights on fire again :] The diode is a 1N4007, so 1kV 1A, should I look for something higher? Also, I'm not so good at telling resistor wattage from the size of the thing, any idea what wattage rating I should shoot for?

I think the resistor is a 1watt and a 2watt probably be better and I would use a 1n5408 Diode ( 1kv 3amp)

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1