OGXbox.com

CERBIOS tries to boot from CD always

Lexieye

Hello all

CERBIOS will try and boot from a CD if there is one inserted at boot. This means if it’s a game or music CD then nothing happens!

i want to change the bios but I am unsure of what line of text I am supposed to change?

firstly I am very impressed with the new CERBIOS update.

if you are having any problems currently please update to the latest…

I am not very technically minded. When I updated the bios I had to use the actual NEW file that came with the V2.2.0 zip and change the boot directory! It wouldn’t except me just copying the text to the old one!

I have a dual bank modchip so on the CERBIOS bank I would like to change the bios file to “NOT TRY TO BOOT FROM CD IF PRESENT” .  I am happy to do the button combination at boot using IND_BIOs if I ever wanted to use a HEXEN disk.

please can you assist

If you boot to say IND bios and you have a 2.2tb or bigger HDD then your install DVD will not see the bigger drive.

If you set the config file like this "DriveSetup = 1" it will not look at the DVD on boot but you and still load a DVD from the dashboard if you set it to "DriveSetup = 0" it will look at the DVD then boot from the HDD unless there is a DVD in the drive.

; Drive Setup 
; 0 = HDD & DVD,  1 = HDD & No DVD (Legacy Mode), 2 = HDD & No DVD (Modern Mode), 3 = Dual HDD 
DriveSetup = 1

Once the HDD is setup correctly you don't need to use a install DVD and if there is a app you need you can FTP that to the Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 2

I have cut & paste my Cerbios.ini in text form below

From your description it is already setup that way! I could not make DriveSetup = 1 work so I chose DriveSetup = 2

I still have IND_Bios on the second bank so if sh*t hit fan and couldn’t fttp & needed HEXEN as rescue

~
; Cerbios Config

; Check for AV Pack
AVCheck = true

; LED Ring Color, G = Green, R = Red, A = Amber, O = Off
FrontLed = GGGG

; Fan Speed 0 = Default, 10-100 = Manual Control, Supports increments of 2's 
FanSpeed = 10

; Drive Setup 
; 0 = HDD & DVD,  1 = HDD & No DVD (Legacy Mode), 2 = HDD & No DVD (Modern Mode), 3 = Dual HDD 
DriveSetup = 2

; Load XDK Launcher/XBDM if it exists (Debug)
Debug = false

; IGR Master Port,  0 to 4, 0 = All Ports
IGRMasterPort = 0

; A = 0, B = 1, X = 2, Y = 3, BLACK = 4, WHITE = 5, LEFT_TRIGGER = 6, RIGHT_TRIGGER = 7
; DPAD_UP = 8, DPAD_DOWN = 9, DPAD_LEFT = A, DPAD_RIGHT = B, START = C, BACK = D, LEFT_THUMB = E, RIGHT_THUMB = F

; IGR Dash Combo, Resets back to dashboard, If ISO is mounted then keep it mounted as 😧
IGRDash = 67CD

; IGR Game Combo, Resets the current loaded game
IGRGame = 467C

; IGR Full Combo, Full system reset
IGRFull = 467D

; IGS Shutdown Combo, Full system shutdown
IGRShutdown = 678D

; CD paths (always falls back to \Device\CdRom0\default.xbe)
CdPath1 = \Device\CdRom0\Evolutionx\evoxdash.xbe
CdPath2 = \Device\CdRom0\Avalaunch\avalaunch.xbe
CdPath3 = \Device\CdRom0\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe

; Dash paths (always falls back to \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\xboxdash.xbe)
DashPath1 = \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Applications\Xbmc\default.xbe
DashPath2 = \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\Applications\Xbmc\default.xbe
DashPath3 = \Device\Harddisk0\Partition6\ORIGINS\XBMC\default.xbe

; Boot Animation path (always falls back to \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\BootAnims\Xbox\bootanim.xbe)
BootAnimPath = \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\BootAnims\Xbox\BootAnim.xbe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lexieye said:

; Drive Setup 
DriveSetup = 2

Drive setup 2 is no DVD drive at all did you try Drivesetup = 0

Is you HDD set to master?

What model is your DVD drive?

What brand of Sta2Ide adaptor are you using?

Are you using a 80 wire IDE cable?

I would also set the FanSpeed = 20 or 30

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

thank you for explaining set the FanSpeed = 20 or 30

I have a 1.2/3 2003 NTSU XBox 

128mb RAM upgrade

jaffar modchip XBlast OS with 2 banks

B1_256k IND_BIOS.5003.06.bin (XBMC4GAMERS)

B2_512k CERBIOS_V2.21 BETA (XBMC ORIGINS)

1TB SEGATE 3.5 SATA (master dive is locked and EPROM backed up to modchip) 

80 wire IDE upgrade cable

SAMSUNG DVD drive that I modded to have a Perspex clear lid. There was a problem when the case was fully screwed-down. It put pressure on the tray making it force-eject! so I had to remove the metal bottom of the DVD drive and put a Raspberry Pi heat sink on the DVD drive conductor-pad

F24C2428-EE83-4854-B44D-AE5AE92A8D6D.jpeg

Edited by Lexieye

On 2/13/2023 at 3:45 AM, Lexieye said:

; Drive Setup 
DriveSetup = 2

Sorry I am a bit confused are you wanting the DVD to load on cold boot (from power on with a game disk in the drive)?

In your Cerbios config file you have disabled the DVD drive completely.

Cheers

SS Dave

Back to the original post

CERBIOS will try and boot from a CD if there is one inserted at boot. This means if it’s a game or music CD then nothing happens! The screen stays blank (BLACK)! It’s almost like CERBIOS is acting like the CD is an actual OS? If I HARD-REBOOT without a CD in the tray it boots in seconds to XBMC….. if a CD is in the tray then NOTHING happens! It dose not try and load the CD.

I have completely removed the CD drive with DriveSetup = 2 & i can use the other OS bank if I want to use the CD drive.

the IDE/SATA_CONVERTER is set to Master. I haven’t touched it back from the original soft mod days

Edited by Lexieye

10 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The more I think about this is it's trying to boot to the DVD but the required files for the DVD drive to work are not on the C drive..

Cheers

SS Dave

Yea, I’m right there with you. And now maybe they are expecting some sort of dashboard or menu to pop up, but there aren’t any of those files either. 

CERBIOS will see a disc in the tray as an OS if inserted at boot.
Tested:

So buy changing the bios to DriveSetup = 2  and leaving a HEXEN disc in the tray at boot,  then CERBIOS will load the UnLeash X on the CD and booted straight to HEIMDALL’s ENGINEERING DISC

I DONT expect Cerbios to be an OS

I expect XBlast-OS to be a light-weight operating system.

Using XBlast you can choose the bios you would like to use at boot. Obviously CERBIOS has to have a path to boot the desired dash as described in my config.txt

DashPath1 =\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Applications\Xbmc\default.xbe

I have 150 XBox games & 4000 retro games. I have multiple dashboards installed but have setup CERBIOS to boot XBMC & IND to boot XBMC4GAMERS

This whole thing is not a big deal anymore. And just to leave the tray empty at bootA665C8E1-BB72-49DF-9FC0-979D896BFEC7.jpeg.ab66f00d12ca8cd1f7a447dea665e5c9.jpeg

10 hours ago, Lexieye said:

Tested:

So buy changing the bios to DriveSetup = 2  and leaving a HEXEN disc in the tray at boot,  then CERBIOS will load the UnLeash X on the CD and booted straight to HEIMDALL’s ENGINEERING DISC

Using XBlast you can choose the bios you would like to use at boot. Obviously CERBIOS has to have a path to boot the desired dash as described in my config.txt

I have 150 XBox games & 4000 retro games. I have multiple dashboards installed but have setup CERBIOS to boot XBMC & IND to boot XBMC4GAMERS

This whole thing is not a big deal anymore. And just to leave the tray empty at boot

That sounds like a software setting in Unleash X 

Here is an extract of the config.xml file for unleash

<Preference>
            <Games AutoLaunch="No"></Games>
            <DVD AutoLaunch="Yes">F:\Apps\DVDX\default.xbe</DVD>
            <AudioCD AutoLaunch="Yes">C:\xboxdash.xbe</AudioCD>
            <Data AutoLaunch="No"></Data>

Why would you leave disk in the DVD drive when it's not needed

Cheers

SS Dave

Too much work to sift through all these replies so perhaps this has already been suggested......................there is no problem with the BIOS or even if it was a softmod.

Most (all?) BIOS even the retail MS will priority launch from disc either during a cold or reset start up. It is a normal and useful feature.

My thought is that in this case, if we are talking about genuine original CDs and DVDs or burned ones, although more likely with the latter if they're on incompatible disc media, then it is simply another Xbox DVD drive beginning to fail issue.

Disc media launch is correctly prioritised but the disc cannot be read so you get a blank screen and then the main dash should boot instead.

However, as SS_Dave I think is saying, if any of the UnleashX dash disc media settings are set to AutoLaunch then before the main dash screen boots it will try to launch the disc again and fail again. The Xbox will be in loop of trying to launch the disc and failing.

If you can hear the disc spinning up and trying to read then this is very likely what is happening.

The dash Autolaunch settings, probably, just need changed but, of course, it won't fix the DVD drive read problems, if that is what is wrong.  

Edited by HDShadow

13 hours ago, Lexieye said:

Tested:

This whole thing is not a big deal anymore. And just to leave the tray empty at bootA665C8E1-BB72-49DF-9FC0-979D896BFEC7.jpeg.ab66f00d12ca8cd1f7a447dea665e5c9.jpeg

That’s information I did not recall seeing earlier in the post. I wanted to be sure you weren’t thinking that everything should work out of the box. Just having games on the HDD doesn’t mean they’ll be ready to play, which is why I asked about the dashboard and setup. I don’t know why this topic has been so confusing. Good to see that steps are being made in the right direction. 

4 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Too much work to sift through all these replies so perhaps this has already been suggested......................there is no problem with the BIOS or even if it was a softmod.

Most (all?) BIOS even the retail MS will priority launch from disc either during a cold or reset start up. It is a normal and useful feature.

My thought is that in this case, if we are talking about genuine original CDs and DVDs or burned ones, although more likely with the latter if they're on incompatible disc media, then it is simply another Xbox DVD drive beginning to fail issue.

Disc media launch is correctly prioritised but the disc cannot be read so you get a blank screen and then the main dash should boot instead.

However, as SS_Dave I think is saying, if any of the UnleashX dash disc media settings are set to AutoLaunch then before the main dash screen boots it will try to launch the disc again and fail again. The Xbox will be in loop of trying to launch the disc and failing.

If you can hear the disc spinning up and trying to read then this is very likely what is happening.

The dash Autolaunch settings, probably, just need changed but, of course, it won't fix the DVD drive read problems, if that is what is wrong.  

Lol nah. You should’ve read it. They’re trying to do this with a no dvd bios. 

Edited by MadMartigan
  • Like 1

The No DVD drive check option does not affect the boot priority AFAIK.

It just omits the check for a working DVD drive before boot. In this case the DVD drive is clearly functional but maybe not fully functional, so if a disc is inserted and spinning up the No DVD drive check surely becomes irrelevant. The Xbox DVD drive will try to boot from the disc first. At least that is what I would have thought.

TBH this is only a theory. I've not checked this with any BIOS I've used where the No DVD check option is definitely enabled but with all my hardmodded Xboxes, (2 x chips, 2 x TSOPs), ones with 100% working DVD drives, all of them still priority cold boot from disc ie. audio CD, DVD, DVD-R or other compatible media.

I've also found that If you insert any disc quickly even after starting the Xbox it will usually boot that first too.

Edited by HDShadow
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HDShadow said:

The No DVD drive check option does not affect the boot priority AFAIK.

It just omits the check for a working DVD drive before boot. In this case the DVD drive is clearly functional but maybe not fully functional, so if a disc is inserted and spinning up the No DVD drive check surely becomes irrelevant. The Xbox DVD drive will try to boot from the disc first. At least that is what I would have thought.

TBH this is only a theory. I've not checked this with any BIOS I've used where the No DVD check option is definitely enabled but with all my hardmodded Xboxes, (2 x chips, 2 x TSOPs), ones with 100% working DVD drives, all of them still priority cold boot from disc ie. audio CD, DVD, DVD-R or other compatible media.

I've also found that If you insert any disc quickly even after starting the Xbox it will usually boot that first too.

The OP has decided to not leave the Hexen disk in the DVD drive and that's sorted out the issue and I think he was trying to have the DVD ready to run as an app if needed.

I will post this as info for others regarding the DVD options in Cerbios.

In the config for the Cerbios it has 3 options regarding the use of DVD drive, I tested on a 1.4 with a OpenXenium with the Cerbios set to the Default and tried a game disk and the OGXbox installer disk

Mode = 0 is stock and the DVD drive must be connected to boot

Mode = 1 will boot a DVD 1st if a disk is present on power up or with no DVD drive connected (Slowest boot time)

Mode = 2 will not boot from a DVD on power up but you can still use the DVD drive from the Dashboard ( Fastest boot time)

He had it set to mode 2 and in this mode it should have booted direct to the HDD even with a DVD in the drive and then you can load a DVD by pressing start in XBMC4Gamers. The only difference between his setup and mine is he used a Xblast mod chip.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 2