OGXbox.com

SkyScourgeGod

I have a 1.0 Xbox that has the dreaded "Christmas Lights" flashing on the eject button. It tries to boot twice before doing its signature Red and Green flashing. Nothing is displayed on the TV so no codes are provided. It also makes a terrible noise when it fails to boot up. After tearing it down completely, cleaning everything top to bottom, removing the clock capacitor (which did not leak thank god), opening and inspecting the DVD drive then hooking everything back up I'm about 99% sure the condition and noise is being caused by a faulty HDD. My question is, assuming my diagnosis is correct, if I bought a SATA HDD (with the proper cables and converter) and installed an Aladdin XT Plus2 Modchip inside would it bring this Xbox back to life? Again, the theory is that the original HDD took a shat so I'm not worried about the DVD drive or motherboard. If there are any other steps I should take (EXCEPT softmodding and replacing the whole console) please let me know. If you require any other information I can also provide it for you. Thank you for your time and help on the matter!

Yes, that and booting the Hexen 2018 installer disc to format the new HDD and prep it then install replacement dashboards and other apps to the HDD. 

When using a compatible IDE-to-SATA adapter (a Marvell 88SA8xxx IDE-to-SATA bridge-based adapter - Startech IDE2SAT2, Delock 61702. (Edited 5 Jan 2021: The 61702 has been discontinued but replaced by the 62510 IDE-to-SATA adapter). - I think that's the correct model number somewhere I've posted the wrong one before :( - or one of many others vendors' adapters based in it) and 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable is required for the SATA drive to operate reliably.

Reflash the BIOS on the Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip as it's not configured to use the best settings available for the Evox M8plus BIOS.  There's a better configuration on Hexen 2018 disc  - M8plus F & G - or other xbox scene dev teams' BIOSes to use.

48 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Yes, that and booting the Hexen 2018 installer disc to format the new HDD and prep it then install replacement dashboards and other apps to the HDD. 

When using a compatible IDE-to-SATA adapter (a Marvell 88SA8xxx IDE-to-SATA bridge-based adapter - Startech IDE2SAT2, Delock 61702 - I think that's the correct model number somewhere I've posted the wrong one before :( - or one of many others vendors' adapters based in it) and 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable is required for the SATA drive to operate reliably.

Reflash the BIOS on the Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip as it's not configured to use the best settings available for the Evox M8plus BIOS.  There's a better configuration on Hexen 2018 disc  - M8plus F & G - or other xbox scene dev teams' BIOSes to use.

Thank you for the excellent input! I also appreciate the additional IDE to SATA adapter recommendations, that should help make my job much easier. I  I'll let you know what the results are when I try this.