OGXbox.com

is there a way to fix an xbox with no hard drive

cpg

57 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Can you post a detailed picture of your mother board? We need to identify which version you have in order to determine if you can flash the TSOP or need to install a chip. Both options require a bit of soldering tiny points. Just a heads up. 

He cant flash the TSOP without a HDD. (Or he could in case he is able do de solder the TSOP, flash it with an external flasher and solder it back).

One solution would be to read the eeprom with a raspbarry pi (piprom) and create a hdd using FatXplorer 3.0.

The other option ofc would be a modchip.

In case the OP has a RaspbarryPi, I would try that first.

PS. There would be also the option to build a serial eeprom reader from some basic parts in case there is no RaspbarryPi on hand. 

• Like 1

I think the cheapest method will be the modchip if you just want to fix this one Xbox (and the only method if you want something other then the standard BIOS because it's a 1.6), but if you want to repair/mod more units a Raspberry Pi to read the EEPROM will be cheaper in the long run.

19 hours ago, cpg said:

I got a xbox og with no hard drive can I fix it?

You can also use an Arduino to read the configuration EEPROM's data.

There are several Xbox EEPROM reader/writer sketches available on github.com for this operation:

There are others as well. 

An ESP32 and ESP8266 can be used too:

I'm not sure what "No HDD" means... but maybe just buy a cheap hard drive and install a chip or use softmod (ugh)? I dunno how you would achieve a useful or desirable outcome without a HDD anyway. Just get a 500GB IDE if you have to, or a 1TB Sata with an adapter. I'm confused by the lack of detail. What is it that needs to be "Fixed"? Is there literally no physical hard drive, or are you trying to do a flash or something without the use of the hard drive?

On 2/1/2023 at 2:29 PM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

One solution would be to read the eeprom with a raspbarry pi (piprom) and create a hdd using FatXplorer 3.0.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:45 AM, KaosEngineer said:

You can also use an Arduino to read the configuration EEPROM's data.

There are several Xbox EEPROM reader/writer sketches available on github.com for this operation:

There are others as well. 

An ESP32 and ESP8266 can be used too:

I recall doing this some time ago with a DB9 serial doohicky and the software ponyprog. I was able to do it more recently on a DVT4 with a BeagleBone Black and some test clips. There are no-solder options for recovering the HDD key, but you might need to find the right clips. Some are girthier than others 🙄

Is FatXplorer still the go-to software for creating drives? Wasn't that some C# GUI program with loads of adverts to buy the full version? The other options were to run some linux boot disc just to run one utility right? Couldn't one write a program to simply write an image to a drive like a dd wrapper... hell, just instruct the user on how to use dd. Then send ATA commands to program the drive with a key? Obviously the problem here is distributing Microsoft binaries. Can't assume the user has a whole hard drive image laying around. So instead, it's assume that the user has all the files needed to create a hard drive image. I get it, but it's stupid. Write image, set key, done.

To OP: Like others have said: read EEPROM, get the key, create a new drive, or install a modchip that lets you use an unlocked drive. You might still need to have specific files on you hard drive. Begin by checking if the drive you wish to replace with is supported. I don't know exactly why a drive would be unsupported or not, but these are good bets.