OGXbox.com

Controllers Not working in any slot.

Fusilli_Jerry

Opened up the Xbox to fix some trace corrosion. When I put everything back in and booted up, none of my controllers were working. Iv double checked the daughter board several times. Everything is plugged in correctly. On boot up it launches the clock and none of my controllers work in any of the slots. I found out I was atleast getting power through the controller port because when I plugged in my Wingman XB2 it lights up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it’s all plugged in, Ive made sure. I figured it has power because when I plug my Brook Wingman XB2 converter into the ports the led’s light up. As said before it boots up the clock and seems to not be frozen as the clock moves back and forth. But it responds to no input. Have tried several controllers and that XB converter 

It seems to be alright but I’m starting to think I might have damaged something during the soldering. I followed this guide. Iv only soldered a few times and these were pretty small for a newbie like myself. The repair seemed to work fine though as it fixed the problem. (The power use to stay on when it was plugged in.) The power button, reset button, and disc eject all work like they are suppose to now. Is there anything around those solder points maybe that have something to do with controller input?

This is how I repair the power button issue and in most cases I only need to join the 2 purple marks.

pe_trace_10-11.jpg.fbf4f7948c5ea07c783d47853651f5df.jpg.a5f1daee96cc3a3246dea2b9b4914487.jpg

Then if you are having issues with the LED then you only need 2 wires on the bottom

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Uhh thanks Dave, I appreciate it but did you read the original post?? I’m not having issues with any of the front panel after following the trace repair guide I had posted. The controllers are the issues. None of the slots are taking any input from my controllers when it boots up the clock. Like I said before I am getting power through the ports because my Wingman adapter led’s light up. Any help would be apreciated

1 hour ago, Fusilli_Jerry said:

Uhh thanks Dave, I appreciate it but did you read the original post?? I’m not having issues with any of the front panel after following the trace repair guide I had posted. The controllers are the issues. None of the slots are taking any input from my controllers when it boots up the clock. Like I said before I am getting power through the ports because my Wingman adapter led’s light up. Any help would be apreciated

I replied because that solder work had me shaking my head.

I would suggest you remove all that work clean the board and add a link the pic i posted then see what happens.

Have you tried a original controller?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Yeah like I said it was my first time and it’s pretty small for soldering. And like I said In the post if you indeed read it, I have tried several original controllers. Idk what “add a link the pic I posted” means or else maybe I would try that. Pretty sure my solder iron was too hot initially and I damaged the board. I don’t see why I would undo that repair just to do the one you posted? (When it seems to have fixed the power problem and isn’t touching anything else)Appreciate the criticism though

It's hard to see if there is a possible short on your repair or maybe you have damaged a trace that's why I suggested you undo the work and clean the location you where working on also have a real good look over the board for a blob of solder across some IC pins, The link I suggested is just the power button as that the minimum needed to power on the Xbox.  

10 hours ago, Fusilli_Jerry said:

It wouldn’t let me upload all of them but.

Upload the pics to a file share site like Postimages.com or something similar, Then post a link to the pics on here.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 10:19 AM, Fusilli_Jerry said:

29041773-15AE-4CD5-A444-8A4CF34D5E08.jpeg

Did you happen to be using a 9,000W soldering iron? That resistor looks like it's been effectively converted to carbon.

Also, try NOT being a smart-ass to Dave. That guy has a good reputation here for a reason. He's one of the few people here that can help you solve almost any problem with an Xbox. Being snippy isn't going to get you a solution to your problem. I'm assuming dave will probably be willing to give the time it takes to help you find a solution, but if he gives you a few pointers to help make his repair advice actually useful to you, try taking it.

Trust me: HE READ YOUR POST. If he ignored certain parts of it, it's because he decided that it wasn't worth addressing yet. You can't fix your xbox with anybody's advice here until the people giving you that advice have had a chance to assess the damage through photos and other possible diagnostic procedures. Also, it helps to make sure your soldering skills are up to par. Otherwise, what's the point? How can you apply the advice given to you if you're unable to execute the future instructions provided?

Be patient and let people here guide you through the steps to diagnose this issue.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Did you happen to be using a 9,000W soldering iron? That resistor looks like it's been effectively converted to carbon.

Also, try NOT being a smart-ass to Dave. That guy has a good reputation here for a reason. He's one of the few people here that can help you solve almost any problem with an Xbox. Being snippy isn't going to get you a solution to your problem. I'm assuming dave will probably be willing to give the time it takes to help you find a solution, but if he gives you a few pointers to help make his repair advice actually useful to you, try taking it.

Trust me: HE READ YOUR POST. If he ignored certain parts of it, it's because he decided that it wasn't worth addressing yet. You can't fix your xbox with anybody's advice here until the people giving you that advice have had a chance to assess the damage through photos and other possible diagnostic procedures. Also, it helps to make sure your soldering skills are up to par. Otherwise, what's the point? How can you apply the advice given to you if you're unable to execute the future instructions provided?

Be patient and let people here guide you through the steps to diagnose this issue.

Thank you 

In my years of experience ( 40 plus)  in electronic repairs if I get a board like that the 1st thing I do is remove any mods/repairs and start again.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I’m sorry you see it that way. I was not trying to come off as snippy or a smart ass. I was only confused and trying to figure out if he had genuinely read the whole post. When someone replies to your thread and mentions nothing about the main subject it’s a little concerning. Furthermore to ask me to undo my work and do the same repair a different way (also without mentioning the controller issue), was very confusing. If anything I had felt Dave was the first to be snippy throw/sass with the whole shaking his head comment. I am only trying to figure this problem out. I see what Dave is saying now and I understand his advice. “Did you use a 9000 watt soldering iron? That resister looks like it’s been effectively converted to carbine” Also way to be a snippy smart ass right before leading into a lecture about being a snippy smart ass. Maybe you should take a page out of your own book. Anyways, thanks for the expertise Dave. I will give that a try. Sorry if I initially came off as rude. Have a great day y’all.

23 minutes ago, Fusilli_Jerry said:

I’m sorry you see it that way. I was not trying to come off as snippy or a smart ass. I was only confused and trying to figure out if he had genuinely read the whole post. When someone replies to your thread and mentions nothing about the main subject it’s a little concerning. Furthermore to ask me to undo my work and do the same repair a different way (also without mentioning the controller issue), was very confusing. If anything I had felt Dave was the first to be snippy throw/sass with the whole shaking his head comment. I am only trying to figure this problem out. I see what Dave is saying now and I understand his advice. “Did you use a 9000 watt soldering iron? That resister looks like it’s been effectively converted to carbine” Also way to be a snippy smart ass right before leading into a lecture about being a snippy smart ass. Maybe you should take a page out of your own book. Anyways, thanks for the expertise Dave. I will give that a try. Sorry if I initially came off as rude. Have a great day y’all.

Here we go.

Yes, I can understand your confusion. But it was not necessary to repeatedly ask, "did you read my post?", and various comments like that conveying that you felt like he was a dummy. You came to this forum for help. He was trying to be helpful. Repeatedly throwing out the idea that he was fucking blind or something is not a very courteous way to respond to somebody who is volunteering their time for you. 

And yes, I made a joke about your soldering. That's what I do: make observational musings. It wasn't meant as an insult. It was meant as a playful jab. However, suggesting that Dave was not reading your post correctly about 4 or 5 times is, objectively, kind of shitty. He has several thousand posts and a stellar reputation. You just got here. If you read around, people tend to keep their frustration in check better and are more polite if they feel like they're not being understood properly. 

Point being, you don't have to be a dick... Unless you feel like it'll help?

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Here we go.

Yes, I can understand your confusion. But it was not necessary to repeatedly ask, "did you read my post?", and various comments like that conveying that you felt like he was a dummy. You came to this forum for help. He was trying to be helpful. Repeatedly throwing out the idea that he was fucking blind or something is not a very courteous way to respond to somebody who is volunteering their time for you. 

And yes, I made a joke about your soldering. That's what I do: make observational musings. It wasn't meant as an insult. It was meant as a playful jab. However, suggesting that Dave was not reading your post correctly about 4 or 5 times is, objectively, kind of shitty. He has several thousand posts and a stellar reputation. You just got here. If you read around, people tend to keep their frustration in check better and are more polite if they feel like they're not being understood properly. 

Point being, you don't have to be a dick... Unless you feel like it'll help?

Can’t just move on can ya bub? :) if you look back I literally only asked him once if he read it. Way to try and twist it to fit your narrative though. :) As stated before I was only trying to make sure we were on the same page because he never even referenced the original issue and gave no explanation( in the original reply.)it was not out of frustration but confusion. I don’t know how I can make that more clear lol. so it wasn’t to be a dick like you obviously are trying to be. (Maybe keep your frustration in check?) Like you said I’m new here so how on earth would I know that I can trust Dave’s word with no explanation? Lol And btw sorry I don’t have the luxury of time and money to be able to become a master at soldering for a small Xbox repair. 😛  Also good to know you don’t follow your own script. You act like a dick and it’s being playful. I try to reply genuinely while being as informative as possible and I’m being “snippy” and I’m “frustrated”. Lol move on man. I’m sorry your mother didn’t love you enough.

Now, now. Let’s play nice. Both sides have expressed their opinions on the matter and the confusion has hopefully been cleared up. Some of us have been around here long enough to know subtle humor from insults and snark, when talking to each other so it’s not uncommon. However, I am inclined to agree that in text, it did come across a bit snippy. Not suggesting that you intended it to be that way. It seems to be a case of the old, ”Its not what you say, but how you say it”. We welcome all new members with open arms and expect to keep things civil. Let’s move on from this and focus on the task at hand which is getting Jerry’s problem figured out. 

Both of you take a timeout in the corner for 5 mins and hug it out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Now, now. Let’s play nice. Both sides have expressed their opinions on the matter and the confusion has hopefully been cleared up. Some of us have been around here long enough to know subtle humor from insults and snark, when talking to each other so it’s not uncommon. However, I am inclined to agree that in text, it did come across a bit snippy. Not suggesting that you intended it to be that way. It seems to be a case of the old, ”Its not what you say, but how you say it”. We welcome all new members with open arms and expect to keep things civil. Let’s move on from this and focus on the task at hand which is getting Jerry’s problem figured out. 

Both of you take a timeout in the corner for 5 mins and hug it out. 

Lol. Well said.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Fusilli_Jerry said:

Can’t just move on can ya bub? :) if you look back I literally only asked him once if he read it. Way to try and twist it to fit your narrative though. :) As stated before I was only trying to make sure we were on the same page because he never even referenced the original issue and gave no explanation( in the original reply.)it was not out of frustration but confusion. I don’t know how I can make that more clear lol. so it wasn’t to be a dick like you obviously are trying to be. (Maybe keep your frustration in check?) Like you said I’m new here so how on earth would I know that I can trust Dave’s word with no explanation? Lol And btw sorry I don’t have the luxury of time and money to be able to become a master at soldering for a small Xbox repair. 😛  Also good to know you don’t follow your own script. You act like a dick and it’s being playful. I try to reply genuinely while being as informative as possible and I’m being “snippy” and I’m “frustrated”. Lol move on man. I’m sorry your mother didn’t love you enough.

Good lord. Lol

51 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Um, still at it. Sure.

On to your controller problem, if the thread hasn't totally disintegrated by now, which I've unfortunately contributed to. :( My apologies all.

Finally ready to move on?! 😮Dang must’ve had a snickers bar. Your apology is acknowledged. Anyway I think ima just buy a ps2 at this point😂

10 minutes ago, Fusilli_Jerry said:

Dang must’ve had a snickers bar.

Ha Ha 

I should have explained why I suggested to remove the work you had done.  And I have even undone work I have done because some thing else seamed to not work anymore.

I would still do as I suggested and then give the board a good clean both sides, then add the one link on the top for the power button and see what happens.

Cheers

SS Dave