OGXbox.com

Xbox 1.1 PSU problem and repair

Puddii

Hello,

I recently received an OG Xbox, but it does not power on. I’m not measuring output from the pins, and I don’t see any obvious damage to the board.

While probing around, I noticed there are 3 ceramic capacitors that are showing as OL on my multimeter, and a bunch of resistors. I want to confirm that these are definitely supposed to show some resistance/connection between the two sides of these components.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Would it be worth replacing these? I don’t want to replace the whole PSU if I can help it, and I can replace these parts.

The resistors in the 1st pic are 1meg ohm 105  One then a zero then 5 zeros= 1,000,000 ohm 

The 2nd pic the 205 = 2meg that 2,000,000ohm

some cheap meters may struggle to read that especially in circuit 

The blue parts a surge protection and a meant to test open circuit and when they get a voltage spike above there rating they will go short circuit  

I suspect the PSU is from a 1.0-1.1 and you should test for the 3.3 volt standby at the 12 pin power plug (Brown wire)

603501330_powersupplyXbox.jpg.ad6084eb60309db4840f14f779c66ba5.jpg

Also as it's a 1.1 I would also check for trace damage from a leaking clock capacitor

1269289392_tracedamage.jpg.34bb0e26474351d474c6f66f3361b5e9.jpg

Or just add wire links that join the two blue marks and the 2 purple marks

pe_trace_10-11.jpg.d0b14ac2de40db2a2107e471d1f1851b.jpg.0f2428787fd22e10b449ab03b329f34a.jpg 

I also highly recommend you post some pics of your motherboard as well..

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Dave! I appreciate the info on those components.

I did check all the pins to ground, and double checked the brown pin now and still got nothing. All the electrolytic capacitors don’t appear to be bulging or leaking, and there is no evidence of burns anywhere.

The motherboard also seems to be in good condition, no leaking or bulging capacitors. I am very sure the problem is in the power supply since I’m not getting standby output.

I can confirm that there is voltage getting to all the electrolytic capacitors, but not to the pins on the wire harness. 

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

14 hours ago, Puddii said:

I can confirm that there is voltage getting to all the electrolytic capacitors, but not to the pins on the wire harness. 

I assume you mean the caps on the PSU.

With the 12 pin and 4 pin leads disconnected set your meter to DC volts and test for power between the brown and one of the black wires in the 12 pin plug.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 1/31/2023 at 2:16 AM, SS_Dave said:

I assume you mean the caps on the PSU.

With the 12 pin and 4 pin leads disconnected set your meter to DC volts and test for power between the brown and one of the black wires in the 12 pin plug.

Cheers

SS Dave

Yes, you are correct, I meant the caps on the PSU.

I disconnected the power supply from everything, tested between the brown and black wires on the DC setting, and still no output.

On 1/30/2023 at 7:17 PM, Prehistoricman said:

The clock cap will leak regardless of it showing any signs of bulging. I don't think it's related to your problem - as you said - but you should remove or replace it.

I was planning on it once I get it running. I’ll probably end up recapping the board as well, to be safe.

In this case I would suggest you find a replacement power supply as working on switch mode power supply's can be dangerous because they normally have voltages double the input voltages.

Cheers

SS Dave