OGXbox.com

Hard Modded Hard Drive Bios Help

Matta

I have heard in order to upgrade your xbox original hard drive from the original to a 121gb or more you need a special bios. I am clueless on this topic any help would be appreciated. Also if you couldn't tell already my xbox is hardmodded. Any help would be appreciated!!

The first set of modified/hacked BIOSes supported up to 137GB HDD's LBA32 limit.  

I think it was paulb that created the LBA48 patch to support larger than 137GB HDDs.  There are many revisions of the patch with v3 being the latest.  

XBPartitioner v1.3 requires the BIOS to be patched with LBA48 v3 else it'll state that larger HDDs are not supported. 

M8plus pre-flashed on the Aladdin XT plus 2 clones being sold at this time only have the LBA48 v2 patch and need to be reflashed with an updated version of M8plus to install the LBA48 v3 patch. - Hexen 2018's M8plus F and G has already been patched along with the DVD check disabled. (EVTool v1.0.9 applies the patch when saving the BIOS dot bin file.)

Even though larger than 137GB HDD's are supported the LBA48 v3 patch is still limited to a 32-bit cluster counter, not 48-bits.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 2

First Softmod, so you can put in non XBOX discs in, 2nd Soldier the points on the motherboard, 3rd insert Hexen disc to flash your TSOP. I used the EVOX M8+ F& G Bios on the HEXEN 2017 Disc.  I works for my 2tb setup.  I did have to format the HDD with XBPartitioner 1.3.  I wrote down the instructions on the formatting, if you want them

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2019 at 1:02 AM, KaosEngineer said:

The first set of modified/hacked BIOSes supported up to 137GB HDD's LBA32 limit.  

I think it was paulb that created the LBA48 patch to support larger than 137GB HDDs.  There are many revisions of the patch with v3 being the latest.  

XBPartitioner v1.3 requires the BIOS to be patched with LBA48 v3 else it'll state that larger HDDs are not supported. 

M8plus pre-flashed on the Aladdin XT plus 2 clones being sold at this time only have the LBA48 v2 patch and need to be reflashed with an updated version of M8plus to install the LBA48 v3 patch. - Hexen 2018's M8plus F and G has already been patched along with the DVD check disabled. (EVTool v1.0.9 applies the patch when saving the BIOS dot bin file.)

Even though larger than 137GB HDD's are supported the LBA48 v3 patch is still limited to a 32-bit cluster counter, not 48-bits.

Hi, wondering if anyone knows if the 256k X2 bios (either F or F and G) from Hexen 2018 have been patched with LBA48 v3?  Reason I ask is when using either of these bios off of Hexen 2018, XBPartioner complains that LBA support is not enabled.

Edited by Heatvent

If it complains, it must not be. 

I do know that the EvoX M8plus BIOSes have been patched with the latest LBA48 patch. 

However, I thought the X2 BIOSes already had the latest LBA48 patch from the previous 2017 release that were used in the 2018 HeXEn update.

I'll do a bit of testing and post my results.

Which version XBPartitioner?

For larger than 137GiB HDD you must use XBPartitioner v1.3.

HeXen 2017 includes X2.4981.67 which is the only 256K X2 BIOS you should use. X2.4981.06 which is also included for some reason apparently is known to brick Xboxes so should be totally ignored.

The 2019 HeXEn release contains some other modified X2 BIOS (force 480p) but essentially you still have the one choice if looking for a 256K X2 BIOS.

What is odd is that X2.4981 is shown in the BIOS features tables as having various versions some with LB48 support some not. I cannot think why HeXEn would include a BIOS version which didn't but you can't assume that so await KaosEngineer's test results.

Unless you're set on a X2 BIOS for some reason instead why not ditch it and go for HeXEn's Evox M8+ 137+ (F&G)? There is one for the v1.6 Xbox too. I've been using Evox M8+ with a v1.6 since 2006 and I recently did a TSOP using HeXEn to flash the BIOS with that same ^ one and its working perfectly with a larger HDD.