OGXbox.com

DVD2Xbox iso Movies don’t work

Lexieye

Hello all

the Problem is only some DVD rips play on XBMC? The movies either refuse to play, or get past the WB sponsor logo and I get a failed video playback pop up and crash to dash.

When I use DVD2Xbox to rip the movie it makes 2 track ISO files.

part 00.iso 

part 01.iso

it splits the ISO’s but the division in gig is not related to failing to play.’

(board specks)

I have a 1TB HD that I’m pretty happy with the content on it. I’m left with about 400gb. it’s a rescue NTSC-board, 128mb ram, Mod-Chip with IND, Version 1.2 & I used NTSC-Pal and setup Play NTSC videos at Pal rates.

(background)
I do like putting a physical DVD in the tray, but I have 100’s (LIKE 100’s) of DVD’s in an ottoman/cupboard!

is this problem a copy-right encryption on the physical disk?

would I have to FTP the ISO’s off and lower the quality of the movie and put it back on?

7FD9E11B-9203-4BF6-991C-9B44D8FDC2AB.jpeg

The problem is you're copying the encryption as well. It's JUST making an iso of the drive and is not defeating any encryption. Thus when you attempt to play the movie from a source other than intended it will not play correctly. 
I'm not going to explain how, but the proper method for backing up your legally owned dvd's is out there. Look into ripping the dvd's with dvd decryption software and encoding them into a newer format like h265 and use a current container like mkv. I don't know if Xbox can play h265 now that I think of it... so make sure of that first. You might have to stick to h264. Then you can store the files on a nas on your network and access them from the Xbox. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OGXbox Admin said:

The problem is you're copying the encryption as well. It's JUST making an iso of the drive and is not defeating any encryption. Thus when you attempt to play the movie from a source other than intended it will not play correctly. 
I'm not going to explain how, but the proper method for backing up your legally owned dvd's is out there. Look into ripping the dvd's with dvd decryption software and encoding them into a newer format like h265 and use a current container like mkv. I don't know if Xbox can play h265 now that I think of it... so make sure of that first. You might have to stick to h264. Then you can store the files on a nas on your network and access them from the Xbox. 

I’ve found a thread on conversation.

@Rocky5

x264 is too demanding even with DVD movies. It's hit or miss. MPEG4 is way to go.

Using Hanbrake I rip bluray movies with surprisingly good quality to 1024x576 (industry standard), MPEG4 encoding, DTS-HD or similar reencode to AC3 5.1 (size limitation of fatx).

You can rip DVD with Hanbrake with libdvdcss addon. And use MPEG4 (highest quality -1), not x264.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, prtscn said:

x264 is too demanding even with DVD movies. It's hit or miss. MPEG4 is way to go.

Using Hanbrake I rip bluray movies with surprisingly good quality to 1024x576 (industry standard), MPEG4 encoding, DTS-HD or similar reencode to AC3 5.1 (size limitation of fatx).

You can rip DVD with Hanbrake with libdvdcss addon. And use MPEG4 (highest quality -1), not x264.

Thank you 

3 hours ago, Lexieye said:

And also converting MP4 to Avi works well. In Linux use FFmpeg

command

ffmpeg -i /directory/video.mp4 /destination/video.avi

but you can also get FFmpeg for Windows as well 

avi is proprietary MS format, outdated too. .MP4, .AVI, MKV is container, and encoded video can be x264, MP4, or other supported by container

handbrake is easier to use. I discourse cropping videos, because media is encoded as 16:9 video with black bars top and bottom, and removing them you pretty much reencode video to different format introduce additional errors in video quality. You can easily passtrough AC3 audio without re encoding it. Frame rate - same as source, and constant frame rate option.

On 1/23/2023 at 1:41 PM, prtscn said:

avi is proprietary MS format, outdated too. .MP4, .AVI, MKV is container, and encoded video can be x264, MP4, or other supported by container

handbrake is easier to use. I discourse cropping videos, because media is encoded as 16:9 video with black bars top and bottom, and removing them you pretty much reencode video to different format introduce additional errors in video quality. You can easily passtrough AC3 audio without re encoding it. Frame rate - same as source, and constant frame rate option.

in LINUX HandBreak takes forever on x86 hardware & XBox can't handle 720p. I have managed to get 480 MP4 vids to play 90% flawless. They only have tiny breakdowns in very HD Animated Sci Fi content.

ffmpeg -i /home/pi/Desktop/ind/ind.mp4 -vf scale=-1:480 -vcodec mpeg4 -qscale 3 /home/pi/Desktop/ind/indy.mp4

15 hours ago, Lexieye said:

in LINUX HandBreak takes forever on x86 hardware & XBox can't handle 720p. I have managed to get 480 MP4 vids to play 90% flawless. They only have tiny breakdowns in very HD Animated Sci Fi content.

ffmpeg -i /home/pi/Desktop/ind/ind.mp4 -vf scale=-1:480 -vcodec mpeg4 -qscale 3 /home/pi/Desktop/ind/indy.mp4

I rip bluray disks to 1024x576 mpeg4, no problems. Xbox even can handle DTS-HD and still have plenty of CPU overhead, but size limitation requires to choose AC3. mpeg4 480p should not be a problem like you mentioned. Something is not right with your method.

xbox can handle 720p, mpeg4, depends on bit rate.

Edited by prtscn