OGXbox.com

Foxlink PSU and noisy GPU fan in 1.0 Xbox

Megoosa

When I was looking for a extra gamepad, I came across a "duke" gamepad including a whole Xbox for 10 bucks, I couldn't resist not taking it 🙂

Everything works, but inside the Xbox it looks like it has a 1.0 board. I've read things about the Foxlink PSU in 1.0 units... and this one has the Foxlink 😒

The pins on the AC connector are slightly movable and the solder is cracked, but working. After taking the picture I resoldered it. Is resoldering the only fix for it to prevent melting away some day?

Second thing is the fan on the GPU heatsink which makes noise the first minute it's tuned on. The same noise PC fans make when they are worn. But with a PC fan I can remove the label to reveal the bearing and put a drop of oil in it, letting it run quietly again for a couple more years. But removing the label on this GPU fan doesn't reveal the bearing. Is this fan repairable in a different way?

IMG_20230117_012128571_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230103_174440531.jpg

Re-soldering the pins is the only fix but you will get another 15 years.

You can replace the fan and use some 3D printed adaptors or better is replace the heat sink with one from a 1.1-1.6 and ditch the fan.

When it comes to removing the old heat sink power on the Xbox for 5 minutes with the GPU fan unplugged and that softens the heat transfer pad that MS used.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I don't have a spare 1.1-1.6 heatsink and doesn't like the idea to buy a Xbox to scrap it for the heatsink. So I want to service/lubricate the fan.

The topic mentions: "it simply pops off if you force it gently with both fingers equal amount of pressure on fan blades as close to the base of assembly."

I tried this and it's not popping off. Instead, 2 of the 4 spokes which holds the fan to it's frame broke off. It seem like on the photo in that topic also 2 of the 4 spokes are broken, but he got the blades off 🙂 Mine are still attached 😒

It looks like the coil is near the edge of the blades part so I can't use tools to pop it?

Edit: I got it off 😃 But a third spoke broke too 🤐 I must try to glue that...

IMG_20230120_014436427_HDR.jpg

Edited by Megoosa
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Megoosa said:

I don't have a spare 1.1-1.6 heatsink and doesn't like the idea to buy a Xbox to scrap it for the heatsink. So I want to service/lubricate the fan.

The topic mentions: "it simply pops off if you force it gently with both fingers equal amount of pressure on fan blades as close to the base of assembly."

I tried this and it's not popping off. Instead, 2 of the 4 spokes which holds the fan to it's frame broke off. It seem like on the photo in that topic also 2 of the 4 spokes are broken, but he got the blades off 🙂 Mine are still attached 😒

It looks like the coil is near the edge of the blades part so I can't use tools to pop it?

Ignore the damage, it has nothing to do with this. :)

Even with broken spokes i could remove the fan.

I updated my previous post, it's popped off now using a tool to pry it 😃 I thought it was a coil in the blades part, but it's only a magnet.

But a third spoke broke... it's only attached now with 1 spoke and the spoke where the wires are 😒 I think I must try to glue that first.

6 hours ago, Megoosa said:

Search eBay as you should be able find a seller just selling the heat sink and mounting clip.

Or you can but the brackets pre 3D printed to fit a new fan

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/950391159/original-xbox-gpu-fan-upgradereplacement

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The bracket is very expensive... €49,62 with the shipping included, without the fan 😁

If I find a cheap heatsink on eBay one day I'll go for it. But for now the original fan is lubricated and back into one piece, the spokes are glued back in place 😃 It isn't noisy anymore, maybe it will be ok for some time 😃

IMG_20230120_124946161_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, Megoosa said:

The bracket is very expensive... €49,62 with the shipping included, without the fan 😁

If I find a cheap heatsink on eBay one day I'll go for it. But for now the original fan is lubricated and back into one piece, the spokes are glued back in place 😃 It isn't noisy anymore, maybe it will be ok for some time 😃

IMG_20230120_124946161_HDR.jpg

Nice work. Local libraries could have 3D printer service. You could look it up.

32 minutes ago, Prehistoricman said:

I made that mistake when I was a kid. I hot glued a fan to a heatsink in my PC and a few weeks later it fell off 😅

Probably bad adhesion. Since hot glue will not melt at these temperatures. Even with epoxy, if you have smooth surface it will not bond correctly.

2 hours ago, prtscn said:

Probably bad adhesion. Since hot glue will not melt at these temperatures. Even with epoxy, if you have smooth surface it will not bond correctly.

Cyanoacrylate based glue is made for this purpose. Before the point you glued with it will break, everthing else will break before the glued part breaks again. I use it to make my HDMI case mods (And for the slim fan mod shown above and some other things as well). However, even a good 2k epoxy will hold.