Jump to content
OGXbox.com

To Hexen… or not to Hexen?


Recommended Posts

So I just finished another successful TSOP flash on a v1.1 and wishing I had spent more time focusing on that vs. having to repair numerous LPC ports from teaching myself to solder. Oh well, I digress…

Since I’m fairly new to flashing bios’s (Xbox) I’ve been reading up on which bios is best for my needs as well as the method of flashing. Since I’m pretty old school I was always taught the importance of having a good boot up disc (ie. Hexen) laying around. Kinda fancy since I grew up thinking we’d be booting everything off floppy disks forever! The more I’ve read I’m finding that maybe Hexen isn’t the most impervious or bulletproof solution out there. 

It would appear that the Hexen-based bios’s could be tainted in a sense (as well as limited in variety). Can someone verify if I’m understanding this correctly? I hear those particular bios files have been pre-configured and therefore not the best choice to flash and replace the old soft mod. I’m of the impression that the most bulletproof method would be hooking up the hard drive to my computer and/or FTP’ing the OGXbox Installer onto it. Anyone?

Lastly, please correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m thinking that it would be silly to use any of these older BIOS’s without any LBA support. I’d like to utilize one of the newer (but not entirely necessary) Titan or Cerbios revisions available. I’d love to hear what you guys have to say about this. 
 

Thanks in advance for your feedback ✌🏼

1ED55742-287B-4597-8892-E9D2AFD85790.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would first consider what setup is best for your goals. Large 2TB drives, for me is not worth headache. If you're up to the challenge and pure knowledge aspect go for it. It is awesome to have the entire game library in one place. but after sifting the garbage, 500GB is more than enough for the standout titles I continue to come back to enjoy. That mentioned, emulation is much more stable, faster and easier on less expensive hardware options. Media storage and playback often cap at 720p without dropped frames. I do not understand why space is so sought after with little to now benefit. The LBA and UDMA BIOS files around actually broke compatibility with most of my setups.  If Insignia XBL is the path you're after IND Bios is what I use also have had M8+ connect flawless too. Make sure they have XBL enabled patches. I can get behind the OGX install disc. I have used Slayers and Hexan. OGX takes that longest to boot from, almost concerning at times, but is the most comprehensive utility to date and also contains all the best replacement dashboards.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2023 at 9:59 PM, [email protected] said:

So I just finished another successful TSOP flash on a v1.1 and wishing I had spent more time focusing on that vs. having to repair numerous LPC ports from teaching myself to solder. Oh well, I digress…

Since I’m fairly new to flashing bios’s (Xbox) I’ve been reading up on which bios is best for my needs as well as the method of flashing. Since I’m pretty old school I was always taught the importance of having a good boot up disc (ie. Hexen) laying around. Kinda fancy since I grew up thinking we’d be booting everything off floppy disks forever! The more I’ve read I’m finding that maybe Hexen isn’t the most impervious or bulletproof solution out there. 

It would appear that the Hexen-based bios’s could be tainted in a sense (as well as limited in variety). Can someone verify if I’m understanding this correctly? I hear those particular bios files have been pre-configured and therefore not the best choice to flash and replace the old soft mod. I’m of the impression that the most bulletproof method would be hooking up the hard drive to my computer and/or FTP’ing the OGXbox Installer onto it. Anyone?

Lastly, please correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m thinking that it would be silly to use any of these older BIOS’s without any LBA support. I’d like to utilize one of the newer (but not entirely necessary) Titan or Cerbios revisions available. I’d love to hear what you guys have to say about this. 
 

Thanks in advance for your feedback ✌🏼

 

Now that you have re-flashed the Thin Small Outline Package (Bios EEProm ) you can build a new HDD/SSD on your PC using FATXplorer Beta from here.

https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/2022/08/09/fatxplorer-3-0-beta-22-16-tb-xbox-360-internal-hdd-support-updated-usb-patches/

Use this tutorial to format and install a dashboard.

https://www.hazeno.com/guides/fatxplorer-2tb-preload

If you have used the latest Cerbios file I have read that people are now fitting 1050 OG Xbox games on a 2tb hard drive

In my view it is hard to go past the xbmc4gamers as a dash but the choice of dash is up to you.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m of the same opinion in terms of not needing a HDD much larger than 500GB… maybe 1TB at most. Sure it’s nifty to tell your friends that you have 16TB of storage but I think we all know what I’d be trying to compensate for if I really dropped a HDD of that size into my console lol. Been using FATXplorer for a minute at this point but appreciate the advice. Right now I’m actually OK with how EvoX M8+ is working out. Tried IND BIOS and my dashboard was not displaying the correct size for my F: partition. Reflashed M8+ over IND and voila! I guess the only issue I’m having is in regards to XBMC4GAMERS…

It seems everyone loves this dashboard and I do like it but I’m having a few minor issues. 
1- For some reason I’m unable to get URL Downloader to obtain the newest artwork package installer. None of them seem to work, Google Drive links keep showing an error that says something about too many requests and to try again later. It’s later … and still not working. Haven’t tried getting them via PC but thinking I’d get the same error… Google is Google, no matter where I’m trying to get them. Unless a VPN would help?
2- This one is so unbelievably minor but probably driving me crazier than receiving DOS attacks every 5 seconds for a half hour every hour. When XBMC boots I’m unable to see the main screen options ie. “Games” “Emulators” “Demos” etc… As soon as I tap B button, boom… they all show up. Is this a config issue? I’m not a XBMC veteran but I’ve been through all the settings and they appear to be setup correctly. Any ideas? 
(All software is up to date) 

Thanks guys!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

To Hexen… or not to Hexen?

NOT!

 

Use OGXbox Installer 2021 v1.5.4

 

Edit: However, if you do use this release, applications such as XBMC4Gamers and XBMC-Emustation may NOT be the latest Build.  You will need to download them from their respective pre-built download links.

 

Note the specific links above may change in the future.  You can find the latest pre-built link in Rocky5's github.com source code repository in the README.md's Installation section:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

For some reason I’m unable to get URL Downloader to obtain the newest artwork package installer. None of them seem to work, Google Drive links keep showing an error that says something about too many requests and to try again later.

With more and more people installing XBMC4Gamers, I believe the download quota from Rocky5's Google Drive repository is being exceeded.  I'm not sure when it gets reset.  Daily, weekly or possibly even monthly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

When XBMC boots I’m unable to see the main screen options ie. “Games” “Emulators” “Demos” etc… As soon as I tap B button, boom… they all show up. Is this a config issue? I’m not a XBMC veteran but I’ve been through all the settings and they appear to be setup correctly. Any ideas? 

Which one - XBMC, XBMC4Xbox, XBMC4Gamers, XBMC-Emustation as well what build is it?

There are many different variants of XBMC and versions (aka Builds).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks @KaosEngineer, already rockin’ a copy of OG Xbox Installer and convinced of it’s superiority over Heimdal’s TrueHexen 2021. Grew up on Slayers way back in the day but everything about this new release has me wishing I had it from day one! Appreciate your post … and enjoy reading all your comments here! ✌🏼

Edit: I’m using XBMC4Gamers but I’d have to boot the console to see the exact version. 

Edited by [email protected]
Left out info
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.