OGXbox.com

Which mod chip(s) for me?

kit352

So, I have two Xboxes that I want to set up roughly the same way.  One will be a back up as it has always been that.  Ideally I would use the same type chips but that may not be the best given my situation.  I know very little about the modding scene but I'm trying to figure it out.  I can't even figure out where to buy chips yet lol.  Every place seems to be out.

The most important things to me are storing games on a bigger hard drive and the ability to play on insignia.  Maybe some slight performance Tweeks too but honestly I'm pretty good rocking the stock unit.  I have over 100 disks I would like to toss on the hard drive and then store the physical copies someplace safe.  I will never use emulators or anything else on these systems.  

Xbox 1- My original system from 2001.  It's a v1.0.  Disk drive has failed and the hard drive is rumbly but still boots.  The clock cap has been removed but it does have some trace issues with the power\eject button but has worked as is for the last several years. I just use the tray open button for everything based on length of press.  The dead disk drive has shelved it for a while now.

Xbox 2- found on the side of the road.  Works perfectly.  It's a v1.6 though so not ideal.  I haven't opened it up yet but I assume it's all oem.  I will be using this ones hard drive on the other one if needed for any reason.  I am currently using this one as my primary though the other one has a custom case and I prefer it.

Welcome to the forum. It appears as if you're hot to jump right in. The price on modchips has risen a lot in the last year. Open xenium looks to be an option in the USA at the moment on ebay. For 100 games a larger HDD is going to be needed. I perceive a knowledge gap exists that we on this site can overcome, but we just need a little more of a base understanding to work with. Check this Video out From Mr. Mario It covers a lot of the hard mods and chip stuff. I have used all but the Aladdin chips and have done some TSOPS also. Let us know if you have any questions, as it is nice to see renewed interest with Insignia now launched. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the warm welcome.  

It does appear that open xenium is probably the only option for me realistically.  I'm just not seeing stock of anything else.  I've found a few Aladdin's but then I read about issues with them and counterfeit ones so I ruled them out for the most part.

A bigger hard drive is pretty much mandatory in the console with the dead disk drive.  I figured I might as well do both, at least have the ability to swap them if need be.  My original console is already having trace issues so the other probably will at some point as well.  

My knowledge gaps are mostly due to the back and forths everyone has when discussing mods.  One says this and one says that then there so many variations to each and new versions coming out etc.  It takes time to weed out what's no longer relevant and what is.  Then I have to keep the versions straight, my version 1.6 adds little twists to everything.

Mrmarios videos seem to be the ones I watch the most but again some are pretty dated so I need to keep that in mind too.

Insignia is a nice bonus to have but I'm mostly doing it now to keep the systems alive.  I just want to make sure whatever I do works with insignia since it's a no brainier.  They don't have many games I would play yet but hopefully in the future they will.

Alright cool, then you will be working with the 1.6 and returning to the 1.0 later. Do you plan on backing up the save files or starting fresh? I recommend LPC rebuild board most chips come with them now.  80 wire IDE cable a Startec SATA to IDE adaptor if going spinning disc. I use SD card IDE adaptors with 40 wire no problem no. A copy of the OGX install disc and Insignia XBL enables BIOS. You should choose what replacement dash interests you and become familiar with its quarks. The Open Xenium chip does not support UDMA speed BIOS An interesting thing that does not get mention a lot is XEMU emulation works with insignia and can test changes and files without real hardware. 

Amazon.com: GINTOOYUN SD SDHC SDXC MMC to 3.5" 40Pin Male IDE Adapter Card SD Memory Card to IDE Hard Disk Drive Adapter : Electronics

This guy does soft mods and has done a lot of videos over the years.

5 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

PENCE & XBox = NONONONONONO. And for good reading No No No. Just No

Agreed.  I was initially watching his videos but now stay away.  I'm not up to date on everything but I'm also very technical by nature.  What I saw him saying and doing in some of his videos really shocked me.  Some highlights are prying heat sinks off with screwdrivers, using picks to clean thermal paste off components, just pouring new thermal paste on chip sets and stating several times he is right and everyone else is wrong, no static protection of any kind etc.  I don't know if he is well regarded on here or not but I actually blocked his channel just so I wouldnt get any bad ideas or information.

• Like 1

I also do not totally agree with Pence but it will get the job done with no chips and a cloned larger HDD. What is given in the video can be built upon and the software usage is solid in its demonstration. We need simplicity not complexity when it comes to new members and new builders.

I misspoke on the xenium compatibility, but UDMA BIOS ENHANCEMENTS DO NOT WORK WITH THE ABOVE SD TO IDE ADDAPTOR 

It is of my opinion many new members have no clue what that means and not it is not very encouraging.

I mentioned its use because it is simple no 80 wire, no HDD adaptor no HDD confusion green or blue blah blah blah .........

We need is a basic idea of the proposed build KIT352 is after in cost and expectations.

Thus far we have these requirements and resources  

100 games storage approximately 500GB

No interest in emulation of previous console generations  

2 Xboxes v1.0 and a 1.6 and a failed HDD 

An interest in Insignia XBL

The first question is what version Xbox does KIT352 want to use for this project ?

• Like 1

I think the v1.0 is the best choice to start with, especially if i dont need to use its disk drive which is completely dead.  The HDD is still functioning in both but the V1.0 unit sounds like a can of marbles so im guessing its life is limited.  The good news is i fixed the power/eject trace problem so that seems to be working fine now.  I put new thermal paste on the vid chip too.  The cpu heatsink was too difficult for me to off at the time without a heatgun nearby so i will revisit that when i do the chip.

I would like to try and save the info i have on the current drive but its not a priority.  Any game i didnt beat i most likely cant remember how to play when i drop into a nearly 20 year old save so im probably going to start most over anyway.  The DLC is what i am fearful of losing but again, probably not much of an issue. I've read that Insignia may have the DLC available to games they host, is that true?

I was thinking a 500 or 1tb HDD for an upgrade.  I use an old Wii for all my emulation so its not needed for the xbox.  The link to the SD drive is interesting but since it can only support 32gb i dont think its of much use to me.

It looks like there is only one retailer on ebay that ships from america so i think thats my only choice to get a open xenium chip currently.  No LPC boards with it so i will need to get one for the v1.6.  It looks like the v1.0 is again different from all the others and the LPC board will be of no use on that one.  One question though,  can the chips be swapped to different xbox's assuming they are both prepped for the chip or is more of a once installed its staying on that xbox?

Cost isnt much of an issue.  I just dont want to buy stuff needlessly or foolishly on my part.  A good chip, a good HDD and whatever else i may need.  I actually may have some HDD's kicking around here but i will need to look.

Again, thank you for all the help.  It really is hard to just drop into this as a new person. Too much stuff is no longer relevant or assumes you know a lot already.

With the choice of a v1.0 you can a TSOP It involves tiny soldering. Good news is no chip is necessary bad news, it can easily turn into a brick. You have mentioned trace repairs so we know you have confidence around a soldering iron.:91_thumbsup:I can Confirm a 512GB SDXC SD card works in the adaptor mentioned. The Xenium chip just slips off the soldered header you install to the LPC, it is swapable.

You need the ability to run unsigned code for this process. Softmod the console first, Rocky5 is my suggestion.

This requires a compatible game DVD and game save exploit on the HDD to start the process. 

I used Splinter Cell, run the game once before the saves get moved to the HDD. I have not used any other game.

Refer to required items, Fatxplorer, USB cable, saves and compatible flash drive, from the hatted gentleman above. Do not Null the EEPROP /Insignia Setup requirement/

When we can run unsigned code the soldering can commence.

With the Xenium, get the chip and solder it into the LPC header as directed. From Mr.Mario and find Insignia XBL compatible BIOS. We can help with that don't worry.

Drop an update when you're ready to move to the next step on either direction you choose.

Ok, thanks for the info.  I will still be chipping both consoles just for ease of process so I don't think I need to soft mod first correct?

I'm on the fence with the sd drive.  I think it will work, I just gotta get a rough idea of the space I need for games.  I like the idea of using it though instead of a HDD or sdd.  By the way, is there any truth to the tales I hear about an SSD drive burning up quickly in an Xbox?

Edited by kit352

Correct no soft mod is needed with a chip. A rebuild board is necessary for a v1.6 or manually wire the traces.

This post covers SSD concerns. 

I personally think it's not an issue. The drive mostly reads and does not write unnecessary data. 2 years of formats and changes to my setups if it was going to go, it should have by now. I have Samsung EVOs, SanDisk ultra plus, Lexar blue, and some Microcenter economy cards --I think it's Kioxia-- various sizes and speeds. I have had no issues using the stock IDE cable that comes with the system. Speed from the Adaptor is more than sufficient, pulls faster than a 500GB ATA drive /Yeah ATA 7200RPM/ I have had a HItachi SATA 1TB that took forever to spin up and had to power cycle to boot half the time. Most people Around here use the SATA drives. If going Western Digital no green drives.

Get a Startec SATA to IDE and save yourself the hassle if going with a SATA drive. You will also need an 80Wire IDE cable with that approach.

one thing to keep in mind is that SSD tend to be more durable then SD card. Although they both use NAND, due to the size limitation of SD card the controller is much smaller and has less options to prevent wear. Also due to the size cooling might become a problem.

I managed to destroy a few on my RPi in the past. Some of them after 1 week of usage already (writing data to it every 10 sec or so).

Xenium chip has been ordered.  I would have ordered 2 but buying an lpc board seperstely is crazy shipping charges so I'm going to keep looking for a bundle.  I'm in no rush for the second system anyway.

My plan right now is to get that chip installed in the v1.0 and see how it runs.  If I like it I will borrow the disk drive from the 1.6 and put hours on the system while I debate the hdd situation.  I like the idea of the SD card, especially if I make it easy to access so I can pop it out if needed.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got my xenium chipset.  I broke my weller on another project so I had to wait for a new iron to come.  I'm hoping to find time tomorrow night to put the chip in.  

This is going in my v1.0 Xbox.  Any tips?

I've also been going through my old hdds to potential fit one of those in rather than buying a new.  I may have found a good sized one finally.  

My vote would be to install the chip in the 1.6 and just do a TSOP flash on the 1.0. You’re saving money and accomplishing the same goal in the end. 

SD card readers are neat and fun to say you’ve got one, but the price on the SD cards is stupid for anything worth your while. The adapter in the link above, says it only supports up to 32GB. If you’re trying to pimp out your Xbox on a budget, I wouldn’t go that route, but that’s just my personal opinion. 

if you’re just looking for a modest size HDD to store a few games, I have several larger IDE drives that would not require a SATA adapter or 80 wire cable. DM me if interested. 

The 1.0 is my problem child so if I screw anything up I can still use my 1.6 as a normal system.  I'm deep into jade empire at the moment on the 1.6 and I don't want to lose that system.  

I don't mind the 40 bucks or so to get another chipset.  I prefer them to be near identical anyway so I have less issues down the road.

• Like 1

So I got the xenium chip mounted up.  I'm not super happy about how it sits on the supplied header pins but I think that how they are.  I've got an easy 1\4in gap between the header and xenium.  The board itself is a little loose as one would expect but it seems to be making a solid connection.  If I had to do it again I would h ave pushed those pins through the header more but I didn't even think about it.  

For the d0 wiring I just cut up a USB phone charger cord and harvested a small enough wire from it.  I ran it through one of the open header pin holes on the board and used the underside alternate pad to solder it on to.

I haven't tested the system yet but will when I get home.  Hopefully every thing works.  I may get motivated and resolder the header pins lower but I doubt it.

So tested the system today and have had a few issues. 

First is my power and eject buttons are acting up again with the chip mounted.  If I pull it off they work fine.  I've read that the chip alters the function of the buttons to be able to boot into xenium so this just may be a by product.  Im not too concerned about this but I would like some clarification if anyone can offer some.

Second issue is that the system would shut down and flash an orange ring after about 10 minutes.  Restarting the system only made the problem come back quicker than the last.  Seems to be an overheating issue so I cleaned the microchip that is known to be a culprit(which looked fine) and cleaned around the clock cap area again with a toothpick.  I left the system mostly apart so I could see what was going on.  System powered up fine but I noticed my v1.0 main processer fan was making a racket so I flicked it and it smoothed right out.  This may have been partially to blame for my overheating issue.  The microchip I cleaned seemed fine but maybe not.  This could have been an issue prior to me installing the chip.  With my dvd drive dead I never had reason to keep the Xbox on for more than a few minutes so it never would have overheated.  Anyway, I'm stress testing the system now.  Been about 30 minutes and it's still humming away.

WHen I'm in the xenium dashboard the picture isn't as clean as I thought it would be.  Much of the lettering, especially the xenium logo at the top, is pixilated.  I am using the component hd adaptor with the stock settings set to 420, 720 and 1080.  Is the xenium basically in default mode so the pic isn't great?  I am running it on an older 60in led TV.  Again, clarification is needed.

My xenium came preloaded with evoX so when I launch it the stock dash comes up with the evo symbol on the top.  That's about as far as I have gotten.  I'm really not sure what needs to be changed  right now.  

On 2/1/2023 at 11:47 AM, kit352 said:

So tested the system today and have had a few issues. 

First is my power and eject buttons are acting up again with the chip mounted.  If I pull it off they work fine.  I've read that the chip alters the function of the buttons to be able to boot into xenium so this just may be a by product.  Im not too concerned about this but I would like some clarification if anyone can offer some.

Second issue is that the system would shut down and flash an orange ring after about 10 minutes.  Restarting the system only made the problem come back quicker than the last.  Seems to be an overheating issue so I cleaned the microchip that is known to be a culprit(which looked fine) and cleaned around the clock cap area again with a toothpick.  I left the system mostly apart so I could see what was going on.  System powered up fine but I noticed my v1.0 main processer fan was making a racket so I flicked it and it smoothed right out.  This may have been partially to blame for my overheating issue.  The microchip I cleaned seemed fine but maybe not.  This could have been an issue prior to me installing the chip.  With my dvd drive dead I never had reason to keep the Xbox on for more than a few minutes so it never would have overheated.  Anyway, I'm stress testing the system now.  Been about 30 minutes and it's still humming away.

WHen I'm in the xenium dashboard the picture isn't as clean as I thought it would be.  Much of the lettering, especially the xenium logo at the top, is pixilated.  I am using the component hd adaptor with the stock settings set to 420, 720 and 1080.  Is the xenium basically in default mode so the pic isn't great?  I am running it on an older 60in led TV.  Again, clarification is needed.

My xenium came preloaded with evoX so when I launch it the stock dash comes up with the evo symbol on the top.  That's about as far as I have gotten.  I'm really not sure what needs to be changed  right now.  

When I refurb consoles, I always clean the AV ports (male and female ends) with alcohol on a qtip, and then plug and unplug the connector while they're wet, then let them dry and test. See if that helps your picture.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.  I will give that a try.

I haven't messed around much with the system.  With the xenium chip installed it makes my power and eject buttons crazy and it's bothering me.  If I take out the chip all is well.  I've been using my stock 1.6 for now.  I did build a soft mod kit for it but have yet to install it.  I keep reading conflicting reports about softmodding the 1.6 can brick it very easily using rocky5.  With the 1.6 being my only fully functional system I'm loath to do something that could kill it.

1 hour ago, kit352 said:

Thanks for the advice.  I will give that a try.

I haven't messed around much with the system.  With the xenium chip installed it makes my power and eject buttons crazy and it's bothering me.  If I take out the chip all is well.  I've been using my stock 1.6 for now.  I did build a soft mod kit for it but have yet to install it.  I keep reading conflicting reports about softmodding the 1.6 can brick it very easily using rocky5.  With the 1.6 being my only fully functional system I'm loath to do something that could kill it.

Are you getting white lines on the menu?

On the Xenium, Open Xenium mod-chips when connected to a version 1.6 you need to back date the firmware or use the firmware from MakeMHz

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.