OGXbox.com

Samsung 616t Dvd Question

AlaskaCC

I have successfully modded multiple LG 8163B drives before.and like the performance.  I managed to get several of the Samsung 616T DVD drives and am now attempting to mod them for use in the Xbox.  For reference, I am using instructions from this document: The definitive Samsung SD-616T modification tutorial - By: A@ron (Assembler Games).  I used the 616T to read several discs before starting the project to be sure it was operating correctly.  I then flashed the 605 firmware, switched the motor leads, soldered wires to the 8 points on the board and subsequently connected them to the proper Xbox yellow cable.  Here are the results: the drive opens and closes correctly but will not read any DVD's - "Empty".  I have checked the instructions and my work several times.  It all looks right to me.  What am I missing?  Has anyone else ever completed this mod?

Thanks

I did a 616T mod ages ago no longer have the drive and it worked.  I do seem to recall that the tray didn't seem to close completely without a little help to actually start reading the disk.  The sensors indicated that it was closed but the disk did not spin-up until you pressed it in just a little bit further.  There's a plastic piece inside the drive that has to be trimmed down just a bit for the tray to close enough to get the laser head to load. 

I never did trim it or finish the process of modding the drive to fit inside the case.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1