OGXbox.com

Will this IDE to SATA adapter work?

technoob

Currently it's the cheapest on eBay, for my location (found some Startech ones, which are generally most suggested online, but they cost 50€ wth).
Asking this because last time I tried another adapter (this one), Slayer Evox installer didn't recognize it (showed 0 for all partitions on the main screen, then faked to formating and copying files -very quickly).

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 11-32-48 convertitore iDE SATA in vendita - eBay.png

Edited by technoob

4 hours ago, technoob said:

Currently it's the cheapest on eBay, for my location (found some Startech ones, which are generally most suggested online, but they cost 50€ wth).
Asking this because last time I tried another adapter (this one), Slayer Evox installer didn't recognize it (showed 0 for all partitions on the main screen, then faked to formating and copying files -very quickly).

You have 80pin data cable? Link for this adapter?

5 hours ago, SakisTheDrifter said:

Is this even more expensive that some green cheap ones that you can find in china? I buy the for 5$ each and they work without problems or latency

I tried that and it didn't work, or at least not with Slayer 2.7 installer as mentioned before. I tried it with 2 sata drives (3.5 and 2.5, 1tb and 120gb)... guess it was faulty because it had strange liquid signs around here and there.  strangely, the red led was on when the hard drive was plugged.
I heard somebody said on reddit that formating the drive to fatx could help, but fatxplored told "access denied" right at the end of the wizard (that seemed for xbox360 hd anyway, so I don't know if I was following the right procedure... with an ide drive it just went smooth, recognized two drives 4gb and 40gb no problem)

2 hours ago, prtscn said:

You have 80pin data cable? Link for this adapter?

I'm just using the original cables of the xbox
Can't provide the link (it says error) but it's easy to find on amazon or ebay under "ide sata adapter"
Oh I also forgot to put the right link on the first post when I say "this one"... I meant the green one that didn't work.

Edited by technoob

9 hours ago, technoob said:

No.  

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Look for the Startech IDE2SAT2 adapter on Amazon.

Also the Delock 62510 adapter.  It is the same adapter just packaged and sold by a different company.

I've found them on ebay too, but they're 30€ (or even 70€, from Germany) against the 10€ or less for an alternative..

:edit:
just realized that adapter is reverse. pretty embarassing... guess I'll just try another cheap alternative, some people have reported startech adapter not working sometimes as well, probably just a matter of luck.

Edited by technoob

42 minutes ago, technoob said:

I've found them on ebay too, but they're 30€ (or even 70€, from Germany) against the 10€ or less for an alternative..

:edit:
just realized that adapter is reverse. pretty embarassing... guess I'll just try another cheap alternative, some people have reported startech adapter not working sometimes as well, probably just a matter of luck.

those cheap works pretty well. but requires 80pin cable.

29 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Still 40pin, but 80 wire just to clear up any confusion. 80 pin would be disappointing upon arrival. 

I think I have one from an old PC, but I don't know to recognize it from the xbox cable, I just saw it has a blue end (the longer part), but it's shorter, it will be difficult to connect if from motherboard to dvd drive. I'll try tomorrow... in the meanwhile, is this one the Startech one I should buy and does it work with the original xbox cables and 2.5 sata drives?

Edited by technoob

Yes that’s the adapter that is widely recognized as the best for your money. It will work with 2.5” drives, but keep in mind you’re  going to need to secure that smaller drive with tape, Velcro, 3D printed bracket, etc. The stock Xbox is only designed for the 3.5” drives. 

As for the IDE cable, I’d advise taking your time to find a reputable seller with the correct measurements or at least something close, but not shorter than the current Xbox cable. Kekule sells very nice cables on Chimericsystems.com, but I don’t believe he’s shipping outside of the US. 

Edited by MadMartigan

Can confirm that adapter worked on a pre-softmodded unleashX box, did not try/use Evox installer though.

The main issue was the reverse IDE connector, I saw others plug theirs straight into the mobo and this means no DVD. So i made a prototype to test a thought - my prototype pretends to be 100/133mbps IDE cable, with reverse connector for the SATA/IDE adapter and serves the DVD reusing the XBOX IDE cable (chop in half). It fits under the DVD and no need to source an 80 wire cable. 

20230102_192226.jpg20230102_192232.jpg

20230102_192317.jpg20230102_192322.jpg

Edited by corona2222
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, nbaj said:

Cheap is never a good thing

Yeah, free is better XD

8 hours ago, corona2222 said:

Can confirm that adapter worked on a pre-softmodded unleashX box, did not try/use Evox installer though.

The main issue was the reverse IDE connector, I saw others plug theirs straight into the mobo and this means no DVD. So i made a prototype to test a thought - my prototype pretends to be 100/133mbps IDE cable, with reverse connector for the SATA/IDE adapter and serves the DVD reusing the XBOX IDE cable (chop in half). It fits under the DVD and no need to source an 80 wire cable. 

20230102_192226.jpg20230102_192232.jpg

20230102_192317.jpg20230102_192322.jpg

woah, so there is a way to make it work. glad to know I wasn't so wrong afterall, even though that seems lot of work requiring extra hardware skills I don't have... so I think I'll just use my Xbox as retrogaming console (nes, snes, gba, genesis, etc.. no n64 and psx because they're laggy or they don't even work at all) untill I can sell it (too much money spent on it already, gotta take it back)... unless prices of drives and adapters get a real decrease, honestly I can't spend 30€ on an adapter that I don't if it will work or not on a console that I don't know how long will last (not talking about IDE drives too, whose prices got increased thanks to the "vintage" factor). too bad I can't play some exclusives and pc emulation is still very unstable. I'll just try to get on with it or wait for some genius to come up with a ftp/ethernet loader that loads game off another computer... which is definitely unprobable even if already seen (I recall some dude playing PS2 isos through net cable). :/

thanks anyone for the precious info anyway, hope they'd be at least useful for others

Edited by technoob