OGXbox.com

this dude said to pry the gpu heat sink off with a screw driver. DO NOT do this! u can ruin your xbox beyond repair.

bulkchart32

i've seen some bad info out there for noobs trying to mod a xbox for the first time. the 2 main ones are to null or modify your hdd key(without disclosing any of the dangers) instead of just keeping the old hdd as a backup to create another drive if needed and the 2nd one is to pry the gpu heat sink off. please don't do this, especially on a xbox that has sentimental value to u. this is a good way to ruin it. we really need to start being more careful what we tell noobs to do. i know my original xbox has a lot of sentimental value to me because it still has the game saves from where i used to go to lan parties with it back in the mid 2000's. i'd be heart broken if one of these guides caused me to ruin it. many other would probably feel the same way about theirs.

Edited by bulkchart32
  • Like 1

I tried cold removal of the heat-sinks on an already dead, bought for parts Xbox. All it proved was what I already knew and that is you will damage the chips if you do anything as stupid as that shown in this YT tutorial and use a screwdriver or other similar tool to lever them off.

The correct way is to let the Xbox heat up - play a game or just let it run on the dash for 15 minutes. How long depends on the ambient temperature. The existing TIM should get softer and when the heat-sink can be wiggled (gently) you should be able to pull it off without damaging the chip at all.

There is also a huge question mark over whether replacing the TIM is even necessary

• Like 1

completely agree! the best method i found for removing it safely is to disconnect everything from the motherboard except the power button and power supply. power on the system and wait for it to shut itself off. do that 2 more times for a total of 3. the heat sink be warm enough to wiggle and come off by hand. learned that from another youtube channel a while back.  it's best to leave it alone though unless there is some need for it. that thermal glue still works amazingly well even though it is really old now.

55 minutes ago, Donnie-Burger said:

Cpu usualy comes off easy i fnot a little heat will do it.  GPU I apply a little heat then test, a lil more heat then repeat until comes off with little force.  Never to much heat and never to much force.

heat is the correct method. it's still best to leave it alone though. just blow the dust off of it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

heat is the correct method. it's still best to leave it alone though. just blow the dust off of it.

I agree it's not like you change the heat sink paste in you cars engine computer or your home/car amplifier.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

It is so easy to remove these clamps. Why does this bear of a man needs a screw driver? (Link : https://youtu.be/LRIBuIjkoyE )

* Disclaimer: If you are a wood worker, this technic may not work for you. 

i did have to use a pry tool on all of the clamps i have removed. but u have to be super gentle.

Some images why not to pry the heat sink off for something that is not needed anyway

GPU-Fail-1.jpg

GPU-Fail-2.jpg

How-to-fruck-a-version-1-0.jpg

I have a pic where the entire GPU that was ripped of the PCB somewhere and if I find it i will add it here.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Some images why not to pry the heat sink off for something that is not needed anyway

GPU-Fail-1.jpg

GPU-Fail-2.jpg

How-to-fruck-a-version-1-0.jpg

I have a pic where the entire GPU that was ripped of the PCB somewhere and if I find it i will add it here.

Cheers

SS Dave

the pics aren't posting correctly.

dave image.PNG

Edited by bulkchart32

16 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I agree it's not like you change the heat sink paste in you cars engine computer or your home/car amplifier.

Cheers

SS Dave

btw, u are actually the one i learned from that it's best to leave them alone about 2 years ago. u and kaosengineer are the 2 main ones i pay attention to in this forum and advise other people to also when i recommend this place to them.

14 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Browsing this dudes YT page I found this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6HwF47BGZw 

How he replaces the caps is like watching a Saw movie. Unbelivable that this guy has store. Cudos though, he use a soldering iron instead of a blow torch. 

wow! i hadn't seen that one. that would be funny if people weren't ruining their precious xbox following his tutorials.

Edited by bulkchart32