OGXbox.com

Wireless XBox 360 Controllers On the Og XBoX

Ryzee119

I haven't really considered internal installation but as already pointed out it is certainly plausible and you can count on the OG Xbox community to find a way!

I've been thinking about the sync button on the receiver which is a bit of a weakness for a complete internal install.

I could add a feature that would trigger an output pin on the Arduino if a certain Xbox 360 combo is pressed and if that pin was wired to the wireless receiver button would initiate a sync as if you pressed the button. This means the sync button could be completely internal.

There's bit of a chicken and egg problem here as you need at least one controller already synced in the first place to do this.  But then I thought I could add some smarts during power on. 

For example: after power on, a sync will be initiated creating a short window each time you power on to sync controllers. Once the first controller is synced, additional controllers could be added by another power cycle or a button combo any time.

If any one knows of a USB packet I could send to a Wireless Receiver to initiate a sync let me know as this could eliminate the extra wire :) but it may not exist as even the x360 has a sync button.

If anyone has any cooler suggestions let me know.

22 minutes ago, neighbor said:

buddy, would headset implementation be heavy to do?

I'd need to emulate the controller's internal USB hub and I know nothing about the headset but it probably uses isochronous USB transfers under the audio class. I'd like to give it a try someday.

Also need to get the audio data from the x360 controllers at the same time. 

The poor arduino is working pretty hard already so may not be possible. 🤣

• Like 1

17 hours ago, XC-3730C said:

Would it be possible to use wired 360 controllers with this? I got a couple of Afterglow controllers (1 red, 1 blue) for cheap that I wanna use.

Currently not, but it shouldn't be hard to add. I don't own any wired controllers so if anyone is happy to test let me know :) To play with multiple wired controllers, you will need to connect a USB 2.0 Hub to the port you would normally just connect the Wireless receiver.

• Like 1

Currently not, but it shouldn't be hard to add. I don't own any wired controllers so if anyone is happy to test let me know [emoji4] To play with multiple wired controllers, you will need to connect a USB 2.0 Hub to the port you would normally just connect the Wireless receiver.

I would be happy to test wired controllers. I have 2 Afterglow wired 360 controllers, and I can get another 2 from a friend of mine.

Can you provide a USB descriptor dump of one of the controllers? 

If you google something like 'usb descriptor dump' there should be tools to do it easily.  This is the first one that comes up for me and does the business:

https://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_descriptordumper.shtml

I want to confirm there's nothing too different from a genuine wired controller. 

Edited by Ryzee119
  • Like 1

On 14.01.2019 г. at 1:44 AM, Ryzee119 said:

Can you provide a USB descriptor dump of one of the controllers? 

If you google something like 'usb descriptor dump' there should be tools to do it easily.  This is the first one that comes up for me and does the business:

https://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_descriptordumper.shtml

I want to confirm there's nothing too different from a genuine wired controller. 

Speaking of this - is it possible MS Xbox 360 oficial Wirreles racing wheel to work on the OG? It uses same receiver on a PC and it is similar device I think, I have few and I can test. It will be awesome to play Forza with it!:)

So I have an experimental build which I have added support for Xbox one wired and Xbox 360 wired.

I don't own an Xbox 360 wired controller to test it so who knows if that works. I also only own one genuine Xbox one controller so I can't test multiple controllers.

You need a USB2.0 hub to connect multiple wired controllers to the host side of the pcb. In this build I have disabled rumble on p2,p3 and p4 as a safety precaution as power inrush on the rumble motors is quite high and my little PCB doesn't like it much.

Therefore I would recommend an externally powered USB hub if using multiple controllers.

Currently it doesn't support mixing controller types, i.e you cant have wireless and wired x360 controllers at the same time. This could be fixed I think.

It's also a bit finicky when hot plugging controllers so would suggest connecting everything before boot or power cycling the pcb when connecting controllers.

Finally, support for third party xbox controllers is unknown and untested. They way or may not work depending on how closely they mimick a genuine. 

So I'll add that code to my github in the coming days as a separate branch or folder or something.

The PCB fab have said they will have the first boards fabricated by the end of this week.  They will send a photo to me to confirm it's all good. I'll post here when I have that. :D These will be programmed by me with the wireless xbox 360 code which has had the most testing.

Edit: Added to my https://github.com/Ryzee119/ogx360/tree/master/Firmware-experimental

Edited by Ryzee119
Added link to github.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Krassi said:

Speaking of this - is it possible MS Xbox 360 oficial Wirreles racing wheel to work on the OG? It uses same receiver on a PC and it is similar device I think, I have few and I can test. It will be awesome to play Forza with it!:)

Well if it syncs to the wireless receiver like any other controller it might work if the wheel is just mapped to a normal analog axis. The OG xbox won't know any different though. Itll just think it's an S controller (in case games explicitly look for a steering wheel)

I'll be interested to see what it does. :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ryzee119 said:

Well if it syncs to the wireless receiver like any other controller it might work if the wheel is just mapped to a normal analog axis. The OG xbox won't know any different though. Itll just think it's an S controller (in case games explicitly look for a steering wheel)

I'll be interested to see what it does. :D

If your device support 360 and XB One controllers - that basucaly means that with Cronussmax in a line can be used basycally any controller on the OG - PS4,PS3,Wii and arcade sticks etc, flight joysticks... not to mention that with near PC and Gimx you can use even more rare stuff and even made by yourself DIY.:)

24 minutes ago, Krassi said:

If your device support 360 and XB One controllers - that basucaly means that with Cronussmax in a line can be used basycally any controller on the OG - PS4,PS3,Wii and arcade sticks etc, flight joysticks... not to mention that with near PC and Gimx you can use even more rare stuff and even made by yourself DIY.:)

I have a chronusmax on order to test this  :)