OGXbox.com

Wireless XBox 360 Controllers On the Og XBoX

Ryzee119

Hi all,

Long time modder and lurker, first time poster but I wanted to share a project I have been working on the last couple months.

It is a small PCB which allows you to use Wireless Xbox 360 controllers (via the Xbox 360 USB Wireless Receiver) on an OG Xbox console.

The design is loosely based on another similar project I did for the Nintendo 64 console https://imgur.com/gallery/HVLea3d Following the release of this board another forum user sent me an email asking if this device could be adapted for the OG Xbox, and funnily enough that was the next thing I was going to attempt!

I wanted to support the following features atleast:

• Up to four players with rumble support.
  • 100% USB Bus Powered so no external power supply needed.
  • Fast bootup time, so it's up and running in time for the OG Xbox.
  • Low input lag. As always, this is a hard thing to measure, however I can say that an OG Xbox controller is polled by the console every 4ms or so. My software gathers all the Xbox 360 wireless controller data, collates it and generates all the HID reports every 4 ms aswell. It's possible an input may miss this 4ms window, so would happen in the next 4ms window.

As you probably know, an OG Xbox controller is basically a USB HID device, however it has some custom requests and other slight differences, meaning that it doesn't work on a Windows machine without a custom driver, and conversely a generic HID controller will not work in an OG Xbox so there was some work in getting a reliable and compatible solution working.

To support four controllers, it is necessary to have 4x Full USB device controllers. However I imagine most people would rarely play with 4 people at once so my design is modular meaning you can support anywhere from one up to 4 players as required to keep cost down.

This is a link to the github repo with what I came up with https://github.com/Ryzee119/ogx360

A link to my etsy store where you can buy one pre-assembled  https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/672315615/ogx360-add-wireless-xbox-360-controller

Cheers!

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

Edited by Ryzee119
Added Etsy Page link
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

evertonstz, I've made a quick little video to show it in action, so I'll post a link tomorrow (taking forever to upload)

Trab0y, Ive put in a small batch order to get some made. I havn't worked out the price yet but I suspect it will be around $45 to $50usd with one arduino module installed and tested. I'm located in Australia so whatever postage may be on top of that. Other arduino modules to add support for player 2,3,4) can be purchased on Ali express and ebay etc. for under $5usd. These are clones but work just the same in my experience.and need to be soldered in.

You'd need to supply Xbox wireless receivers, and USB cables.

These probably won't be ready for 4-6 weeks so I will post in here when I have some on hand. Wary of Chinese new year approaching! :D

The 'Hardware' tab on the github page has everything you need to make one yourself if you're feeling adventurous

Edited by Ryzee119
  • Like 1

So, I just wanted to jump in and vouch for this project, I was the fellow that had asked Ryzee119 if this was possible and he was kind enough to send me a prototype model at cost.

Let me just say that this is the only way I'll be playing my Xbox in the future. I own a pair of Logitech wireless controllers and just hated the feel of them, but I also can't bear having a tangle of controller wires strewn across my living room now that I'm accustomed to the convenience of wireless.

So for the last couple of weeks in my spare time I've been playing through sections of Halo (the game I played most by a longshot back in the day). First with an S controller, then with the 360 controller. Often I forgot to switch back just because the 360 controller felt so good in the hand and any difference in responsiveness was imperceptible to me.

Tldr: get this mod, you'll thank yourself.

P.S. anybody in the market for some Logitech wireless controllers? 😆

15467019371166740671936597872898.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have one of the Logitech controllers, and while I like the feel of it, you cant get away from the fact that they are no longer made and dont seem to have ever been made in high quantities, and sell for silly money, on the likes of eVilBay.

much better to have an actual Xbox 360 one that was mass produced to the point where they can now be picked up cheap at second hand stores for next to nothing as nobody wants one.

Ironically they were made by Logitech.

Im interested in one of these boards.

Im thinking one of those inside an OG with two controllers, is a winner :)

Edited by big F

I found this thread to see if anyone had modified an n360 to work on the OG Xbox. Well, this thread answers that!!!

TAKE MY MONEY!

Is there a mailing list or somewhere I should keep an eye on so I may order it as soon as it's available? Thank you for the hard work. This is amazing! 

I would mostly be interested in internalizing it myself with a rear usb port installed on the Xbox for the 360 Dongle. 

Edited by mazdababy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, moses_373 said:

Logitech

I've been saying the same in another thread, logitech looks very expensive, quality and all that. When it comes to the comfort of keeping it in hads, it's disastrous, my hands hurt because of how it was designed and I kept trying to hold it in hands, ended selling it. Haven't done this mod yet, but the only thing what should be unveiled, is how much difference is between the beloved S Controller and this one, during Halo sessions, and maybe GTA SA. Also, is there any input delay?

• Like 1

moses_373  - Thanks for the feedback! Really glad you're getting some good use out of it and putting it through its paces.

mazdababy- No mailing list but Ill probaby just post here when I have some on hand. Only getting 25 units so if they happen to sell out I'll just get more.

This is a video which attempts to show the input lag compared to an S controller under worst-case conditions (4 Wireless controllers synced, and using a slave module):

Top right is a wireless Xbox 360 controller
Bottom right is an S controller.

Judge for yourself :)

https://youtu.be/V7Pnba7Y12Y

Edited by Ryzee119
  • Like 2

For an internal version you could just attach the usb’s Directly to the controller header cables, this would render the ports obsolete but who cares when you have wireless controllers.

I intend to do it to two and leave the others factory, I never play with more than two players, that way anything funky or DVD dongle etc can still get plugged in.

Edited by big F
  • Like 1

I haven't seen where he's mentioned making an internalized "version".... but it seems to be very easily internalized yourself.

My plan is to solder all four micro USB cables to the the motherboard at the underside of the two controller port headers. This would leave all four ports usable.

Then I'd either add a USB port at rear of Xbox, or remove upper shielding and internalize the Xbox 360 receiver with a tact switch at the rear of the xbox extended from the receiver to sync controllers.

Edited by mazdababy