OGXbox.com

Wireless XBox 360 Controllers On the Og XBoX

Ryzee119

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I own a ogx360 device, and I have an issue with a broken off USB port on the first Arduino module.

Replacing the Arduino pro micro USB port is too tricky by itself, I have no enough skills to do that by myself.
And I can't find any local service that can help me - they all refuse at the moment they hear it's not a phone :/

So may be you can recommend any workaround that can be done by myself - maybe I can just swap Arduino modules?

2 minutes ago, voradori said:

Hi everyone.

I own a ogx360 device, and I have an issue with a broken off USB port on the first Arduino module.

Replacing the Arduino pro micro USB port is too tricky by itself, I have no enough skills to do that by myself.
And I can't find any local service that can help me - they all refuse at the moment they hear it's not a phone :/

So may be you can recommend any workaround that can be done by myself - maybe I can just swap Arduino modules?

Try looking for a electronics repair place TV, Car Audio, 2 way radio, that sort of place. Or depending on where you are you might be able to send it back to the supplier for repair.

You could replace the Arduino Micro board with a new board and that would be cheaper than getting the old arduino repaired as long as your soldering skills are up to speed.

You will also need to program the new arduino as a master.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

14 hours ago, voradori said:

Hi everyone.

I wouldnt bother trying to solder on a new connector, the Arduinos can be bought on Aliexpress for sub $2 each. Just a matter of flashing the source file to it which can be done in Windows etc.

• Thanks 1

I got my ogx360 in the mail today from @TEK Nemesis and I'm just so impressed by this whole project. This is probably my favorite project to hit the scene in years. It's so nice to be able to use a X1 wireless controllers on an original Xbox... and with virtually no lag! It makes me want to play through a bunch of old games again because of how pleasant the controls are now. No offense to the good old duke. 😅

Huge thanks to @Ryzee119 for this project. Outstanding work!

TEK Nemesis' build quality is top notch. The cords are well made. The 3D printed case is stylish and fits well. He has a bunch of case options too, so I chose one that matches my Japanese/skeleton Xbox. Next step: internal installation.

zE177xel.jpg

One downside I'm running into is that I've had some trouble using multiple 8bitdo adapters at once. TEK Nemesis suggested re-flashing the 8bitdo's firmware, which I'll try. I bought 2 with the expectation of buying 2 more later, plus I also bought a USB hub. Too bad there isn't support for the Xbox One usb wireless receiver like there is for the 360 receiver. I understand the X1 receiver uses proprietary firmware, but it seems the reverse engineering part of that has already been done (?) for Linux through Xow by author medusalix. It would of course take effort to translate it to the ATmega (avr) instruction set (idk how much is handled by the compiler). Currently, to add support for 4 wireless X1 controllers is ~$100 (not including cost of ogx360 itself) for 4 8bitdo adapters and a USB hub. And even after all that, the adapters may still be a bit finicky. I'd gladly put that money into a bounty pool instead. Perhaps others would as well.

On 9/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, voradori said:

Oh, thanks. I totally forgot that firmware is available on github
That's the real point

Be mindful of your timing when you go to flash the arduino. The first time I flashed one, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. Turns out you have to connect to it within a few seconds after it boots up. Too late and your flashing program can't talk to it. Ryzee points this out in his instructions.

Edited by GoTeamScotch
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 8:39 AM, Ryzee119 said:

If anyone has a Hyperkin Duke controller, I think ive got it working in the latest firmware update. If anyone is bored and wants to try it out, the firmware is here:

https://github.com/Ryzee119/ogx360/releases/tag/1.4

You will likely only need to update the 'master' module on your ogx360

As far as I can see, you haven't got a report yet.

I tried that on Friday with an OGX360 I got from @TEK Nemesis, worked flawlessly. Well, as good as it can conceptually, as the Duke has no analog ABXY buttons. But if I need that, I got enough original Dukes 🙂

Edited by Arakula
Added a sentence, got the reference working
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, GoTeamScotch said:

I got my ogx360 in the mail today from @TEK Nemesis and I'm just so impressed by this whole project. This is probably my favorite project to hit the scene in years. It's so nice to be able to use a X1 wireless controllers on an original Xbox... and with virtually no lag! It makes me want to play through a bunch of old games again because of how pleasant the controls are now. No offense to the good old duke. 😅

Huge thanks to @Ryzee119 for this project. Outstanding work!

TEK Nemesis' build quality is top notch. The cords are well made. The 3D printed case is stylish and fits well. He has a bunch of case options too, so I chose one that matches my Japanese/skeleton Xbox. Next step: internal installation.

zE177xel.jpg

One downside I'm running into is that I've had some trouble using multiple 8bitdo adapters at once. TEK Nemesis suggested re-flashing the 8bitdo's firmware, which I'll try. I bought 2 with the expectation of buying 2 more later, plus I also bought a USB hub. Too bad there isn't support for the Xbox One usb wireless receiver like there is for the 360 receiver. I understand the X1 receiver uses proprietary firmware, but it seems the reverse engineering part of that has already been done (?) for Linux through Xow by author medusalix. It would of course take effort to translate it to the ATmega (avr) instruction set (idk how much is handled by the compiler). Currently, to add support for 4 wireless X1 controllers is ~$100 (not including cost of ogx360 itself) for 4 8bitdo adapters and a USB hub. And even after all that, the adapters may still be a bit finicky. I'd gladly put that money into a bounty pool instead. Perhaps others would as well.

Be mindful of your timing when you go to flash the arduino. The first time I flashed one, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. Turns out you have to connect to it within a few seconds after it boots up. Too late and your flashing program can't talk to it. Ryzee points this out in his instructions.

You might want to update the Xbox One controller firmware as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, AlphaB said:

Hello good people!

Can anyone point me to where to buy the controller port so I can solder a micro usb cable into it?

Thank you!

I hacked up DVD donge to make mine, have also seen people use the DVD dongle case as well to mount the USB socket in it.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2020 at 1:14 PM, TEK Nemesis said:

I've got a bunch of these if anyone is interested.  They just plug right into the Xbox controller port so there's no messing around with cables. 

USB.jpg

@TEK Nemesiswould this plug straight into controller port 1 and then the 8bitdo would plug into it? If so I would be interested. 
I’m new to this forum and Xbox modding but I have the OGX360 that I plan to have internally installed soon. 

11 hours ago, P7Johnson said:

@TEK Nemesiswould this plug straight into controller port 1 and then the 8bitdo would plug into it? If so I would be interested. 
I’m new to this forum and Xbox modding but I have the OGX360 that I plan to have internally installed soon. 

Hi.  No, that's for something different.  It allows you to easily use a USB stick with the Xbox.  However, I do sell kits to allow you to connect your OGX360 internally.  Send me a PM or contact me on Facebook.  (Check my profile for the link.)  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back this project as its been put on the back burner for a while now (nearly two years)🤔 

I am missing some components from my stash so just thought bring up then BOM and reorder.........

Easy.

Slight issue I had the original version board Printed and it seems my Folder on the Computer for the job is missing and has been long enough to not be on any of my backups on my backup server :( 

The new version is slightly different and so is its BOM. 

Does any one have the BOM for the original, I'd rather not screw up the board and waste component and an Xbox getting things wrong.

Only minor changes. It does all the same things as the legacy one.

- Less components for simplified BOM

- Larger compents for easier soldering (0805s instead of 0402s etc)

- Crystal has been replaced with a new style package. This caused alot of issues in the past.

- Larger power traces and grounds. Should help with wired controllers that have large inrush currents.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/21/2019 at 12:40 AM, Ryzee119 said:

Well if it syncs to the wireless receiver like any other controller it might work if the wheel is just mapped to a normal analog axis. The OG xbox won't know any different though. Itll just think it's an S controller (in case games explicitly look for a steering wheel)

I'll be interested to see what it does. :D

Did anyone actually test this? To see if Xbox 360 wireless racing wheel (the one with pedals) works with the OGX360 & Microsoft Wireless USB receiver?