OGXbox.com

Tartarus

I'd like to start by saying if this was already covered, I failed to find it my apologies in advance  

My question is would an SSD be a more of a viable option for longevity with the original Xbox. as speed is not my goal... I watched a video and a gentleman saying that continuous cash during gameplay can damage an SSD thus shortening its life.

the TBW on an SSD is now in the range of 360 TBW/TB. So basically writing the whole disc every day you use it. With UDMA 2 in mind, this would take at least 8 hours a day of using the xbox with just writing data. Note that the drive also needs to read data, so worst case 16 hours of usage.  So if you use it 4hrs a day it would last you 4 years ;) worst case.

SSD controllers nowadays are much smarter then what they where in the past. We are missing TRIM on the XBOX (coming with project Stellar).  Honestly I use my XBOX not that often, so it would probably outlive me. Only problem that I should worry about is to power it on from time to time, because you can expect data loss if your SSD is not powered on. This typically can start to happen after 1 year. So I usually power it on at least every 6 months if I'm mainly gaming on one of my other consoles