OGXbox.com

Got Error 12 and error 7 on my modded xbox

xboxuser117

I bought a modded xbox a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. I got it out to test recently and it stopped working. Got a flashing red light on the power button and got this error message with a white number in the corner. Most of the time I tried it was a 12 but I got 7 a few times. Is there any way to fix this?

Check the IDE cable is pluggeed in correctly as sweetdarkdestiny says. If it's still doing that, it's possibly the disc drive itself causing the errors for both.

What model of disc drive is it? If Samsung, This issue is most often due to failure of the 33 ohm or 82 ohm resistor arrays (NR601-NR606) on the drive board. If these components fail, the drive may give the system error 12, or may allow the system to boot but always give a disc read error.

If you're not willing to do this, You're probably best off to get a modchip and upgrade the HDD or FTP games to the console
You'll need to disable disc drive check in the BIOS and bypass the disc drive altogether. you can get another disc drive that is compatible, 
You'll need a different IDE drive (anything will do) to read the burned disc of Hexen.

IMG_1119.thumb.jpg.c8ad4c9d15c54061e98cf1d680c44c22.jpg

Edited by Lina_Inverse_
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

i have a xbox with the Samsung sdg 605f and while i dont have any errors on startup, but i always get a disk read error. So these might be causing the issue,because it stoped working for no reason

It was working just fine,then i turned the console off for some hours and when i turned it back on i had the dirty or damaged disk error

and to be sure i tried multiple games and still i would then the same error

On 8/4/2023 at 1:46 PM, WiNmstr said:

i have a xbox with the Samsung sdg 605f and while i dont have any errors on startup, but i always get a disk read error. So these might be causing the issue,because it stoped working for no reason

It was working just fine,then i turned the console off for some hours and when i turned it back on i had the dirty or damaged disk error

and to be sure i tried multiple games and still i would then the same error

That would make me heartbroken because I wouldn't know where to start. You may be able to get a used optical drive for cheap if you look around. Those usually are the cause of total bus failures, rather than the HDD. Although I did find my first completely dead HDD. I heard it spinning but it must have been at 10RPM. or so. I presume a bearing failure. 40GB... not much of a loss. lol

i dont really want ot buy a "new" optical drive,simply because i want to fix that one and then i will softmod my console and change the 8gb hdd (which is in working condition and has some saves) to a 256 gb ssd. But because im new in the modding part, dont know how to do it without using the dvd so i would rather fix it to work for the last time, to load a custom save file to do the softmod and then after that i would use FTP to load a bunch of games on the ssd,so the dvd would not be needed after that.

Do you have another Xbox DVD drive? 

Swap out the current for a different Xbox DVD drive.

Error 12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA) missing.  The Xbox could not obtain information from the DVD drive installed in the console.

It may be bad and preventing access to the hard drive, thus error 07 - HDD timeout.

• Like 1