OGXbox.com

Help with FATXplorer for the OG Xbox

willis

Hello!

I know there is a beta version of FATXplorer available and it supports the original Xbox. Is there any good tutorials on how to get started?
Other than plugging in my OG Xbox hdd into my computer with FATXplorer running that is as far as I got. Nothing showed up for a drive to use so hopefully I'm missing a super simple step to get started.

I think that is pretty risky advice for a softmod.

I'd only unlock a softmodded HDD if it was a cloned backup or I had another one locked to the same Xbox or all nulled eeproms or a chipped Xbox to lock it with the imported eeprom from the Xbox.

Safety first in my motto and in this case having alternative methods available so that the HDD in question could be relocked by other methods (Chimp) if there was some problem locking it on PC.

14 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

I think that is pretty risky advice for a softmod.

I'd only unlock a softmodded HDD if it was a cloned backup or I had another one locked to the same Xbox or all nulled eeproms or a chipped Xbox to lock it with the imported eeprom from the Xbox.

Safety first in my motto and in this case having alternative methods available so that the HDD in question could be relocked by other methods (Chimp) if there was some problem locking it on PC.

windows cannot initialize locked hdd. This password works at bios level.

Ok, I wasn't thinking about the bed being locked so that's probably why it didn't show up.

I still have my original HDD so I'm not worried about losing info. However is there a great risk of unlocking the other one and using the FATXplorer? I think I'm going to reformat that hdd anyway and start fresh on XBMC meditation again.

1 hour ago, willis said:

Ok, I wasn't thinking about the bed being locked so that's probably why it didn't show up.

I still have my original HDD so I'm not worried about losing info. However is there a great risk of unlocking the other one and using the FATXplorer? I think I'm going to reformat that hdd anyway and start fresh on XBMC meditation again.

What risk? The only risk is when you don't have means to relock the drive. Since you have everything to connect HDD to PC you are good to go. You can practice with old HDD if you must. I have softmod, no problems. Just make sure you have eeprom backedup.

Worst case scenario, you magically forget to back up eeprom to PC. Then you buy modchip or i2c reader. Even then, you have softmod, you already have backedup eeprom (which is mandatory for softmod to be completed) on HDD which is unlocked and eeprom can be obtained within fatxplorer.

Scaremongering :D

13 hours ago, willis said:

Hello!

I know there is a beta version of FATXplorer available and it supports the original Xbox. Is there any good tutorials on how to get started?
Other than plugging in my OG Xbox hdd into my computer with FATXplorer running that is as far as I got. Nothing showed up for a drive to use so hopefully I'm missing a super simple step to get started.

What did you use to connect the Xbox hard drive to your PC?

8 minutes ago, willis said:

I tried a sata to usb converter that the hard drive plugs into and then you plug that into the USB port

Show you setup by sharing a picture of it - upload the picture to an image sharing site and add the link to it in a reply.

Is it a 3.5" hard drive?  Did you provide power to it other than via the USB to hard drive adapter.  USB alone cannot power a 3.5" hard drive.

Did you power the hard drive? Did you connect the external power supply to the adapter?

You cannot simply connect a 3.5" hard drive to the adapter connected to a USB port on your PC.  It requires both 12Vdc (not provided by USB port) and 5Vdc (most likely not enough current available through the USB port) to be provided to the hard drive's power connector.

On 12/10/2022 at 12:27 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Did you power the hard drive? Did you connect the external power supply to the adapter?

You cannot simply connect a 3.5" hard drive to the adapter connected to a USB port on your PC.  It requires both 12Vdc (not provided by USB port) and 5Vdc (most likely not enough current available through the USB port) to be provided to the hard drive's power connector.

Oh for sure the power was plugged in. As with someone stated before I think I just need to unlock it. So essentially I would unlock it hook it up to my computer, transfer files and then lock it again before putting it back in the box.

14 minutes ago, willis said:

Oh for sure the power was plugged in. As with someone stated before I think I just need to unlock it. So essentially I would unlock it hook it up to my computer, transfer files and then lock it again before putting it back in the box.

Found out you can unlock locked drive. But i had to do a trick in my case, otherwise program would freeze or infinite searching.

Open up fatxplorer, go to security, open option, choose device type: SAT, instead of autodetect. Then i plug my locked HDD. Your device type may change. :)

25 minutes ago, willis said:

Yes for FATxplorer to have read/write access the hard drive has to first be unlocked.  That's why you need to create and download the eeprom.bin backup from a modded Xbox to your PC.  Having it enables you to unlock the hard drive with the proper software (e.g., FATXplorer 3.0 Beta or XboxHDM23USB Beta 3).

9 hours ago, prtscn said:

Found out you can unlock locked drive. But i had to do a trick in my case, otherwise program would freeze or infinite searching.

Open up fatxplorer, go to security, open option, choose device type: SAT, instead of autodetect. Then i plug my locked HDD. Your device type may change. :)

ok, i tried this out and it looked like the hdd was there on the drop down list. Then when I chose the hdd it starts checking device status and ultimately gives me this:

FATXplorer error "Failed to check the status of (my hdd name) usb device. SmartMon Tools exited with code 2"

9 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Yes for FATxplorer to have read/write access the hard drive has to first be unlocked.  That's why you need to create and download the eeprom.bin backup from a modded Xbox to your PC.  Having it enables you to unlock the hard drive with the proper software (e.g., FATXplorer 3.0 Beta or XboxHDM23USB Beta 3).

I do have a backup of my eeprom.bin on my PC, so it's there if/when I need it.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:20 AM, willis said:

ok, i tried this out and it looked like the hdd was there on the drop down list. Then when I chose the hdd it starts checking device status and ultimately gives me this:

FATXplorer error "Failed to check the status of (my hdd name) usb device. SmartMon Tools exited with code 2"

Try other device types, for me SAT worked, your can be different.

On 12/13/2022 at 4:20 PM, willis said:

Locked drives will be in a frozen state which prevents unlocking. With the drive plugged in and powered, suspend/resume your system. This should clear the the frozen state. Sometimes this doesn't work and you will need to reboot and try again. You can also try unpluging/plugging the power cable to the HDD after Windows has booted.

10 minutes ago, amak79 said:

Locked drives will be in a frozen state which prevents unlocking. With the drive plugged in and powered, suspend/resume your system. This should clear the the frozen state. Sometimes this doesn't work and you will need to reboot and try again. You can also try unpluging/plugging the power cable to the HDD after Windows has booted.

I remedy this by loading fatxplorer first and enter hdd security settings tab, then in options i change device type from automatic to one of the listed devices, in my case SAT.

If i plug HDD first and then launch fatxplorer, the program just hangs. :)

7 minutes ago, prtscn said:

I remedy this by loading fatxplorer first and enter hdd security settings tab, then in options i change device type from automatic to one of the listed devices, in my case SAT.

I will try that method the next time I need to unlock a drive. I followed the advice from the FATXplorer Beta 21 announcement under the "Locked Device Observations" section.

I've still had no luck. This is what I see, it shows the drive being there but when I select the drive it checks and fails:
Is there any other settings or anything that might be an issue?
screen.jpg.683ca2a03ea77db202de34d8fcbbd19d.jpg
message.jpg.8eeaf96fdfe04e123d2c00a06c0fbcb4.jpg

message1.jpg.22cd6b45497835c039caad7f5c8b38a3.jpg

Update: When I go into the devices tab and do a refresh / show log this is what I see:

message2.thumb.jpg.2f249fe25777beb78e88acb7b9f0ebcd.jpg

Edited by willis

30 minutes ago, willis said:

I've still had no luck. This is what I see, it shows the drive being there but when I select the drive it checks and fails:
Is there any other settings or anything that might be an issue?
screen.jpg.683ca2a03ea77db202de34d8fcbbd19d.jpg
message.jpg.8eeaf96fdfe04e123d2c00a06c0fbcb4.jpg

message1.jpg.22cd6b45497835c039caad7f5c8b38a3.jpg

Update: When I go into the devices tab and do a refresh / show log this is what I see:

message2.thumb.jpg.2f249fe25777beb78e88acb7b9f0ebcd.jpg

right top corner, press options and select: device type. Try first SAT.