OGXbox.com

Tsop & 2tb Hdd Takes 1 Minute To Boot

RoofTop

Well, this question goes to those of you who have done this before.

I recently got a TSOP'ed v1.2 xbox with ind bios 5004, 128 mb ram, 1ghz and 160 gb hdd.

I also have a chipped v1.6 xbox with 2TB hdd (segate barracuda 7200 rpm) - and i made a clone of this 2TB to put into my TSOP box.

I checked that the 2TB cloned hdd  (seagate barracuda 5400 rpm) worked fine in my chipped xbox.   And it did. :)

Then i took the TSOP xbox, installed a 80 ribbon cable with a startech ide2sat2 adapter (jumper pins to master) and connected my new cloned hdd.

[EDIT:]

I start it and it a black screen with the letters "ind bios" appear..  i hear the hdd spin up twice... and nothing happens..   then i press eject button twice and the white ind bios splash screen appears,

from here it takes some 10-20 seconds until dashboard appears.

[/EDIT]

On my chipped xbox it takes 10 seconds.

What can i do to speed up the boot process ?

RUn EVtools on indbios ?

Edited by RoofTop

@John..  i dont think the hdd itself is the problem.  After i tested it on the chipped xbox i am pretty sure it is a 100% 1:1 clone.

I just found out the dvd-rom is not working at all with the 80 ribbon cable and 2tb.     Cannot read any disks, dvd-r dvd+r or original xbox games.

So i switched back to 40 ribbon and 160 gb hdd and now the dvd rom is working fine again.  

I have a SABRENT IDE to SATA converter that will only work with a 40 wire Ribbon cable. Tested in all version Xboxes except v1.5, the only one I do not have... yet. tried it with mod chips, it just will not work with an 80 wire cable.

I have not had a STARTECH to test, but I see a lot of people having luck with an 80 wire cable. is your STARTECH's jumper set to "cable select"?

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2018 at 12:48 PM, RoofTop said:

@John..  i dont think the hdd itself is the problem.  After i tested it on the chipped xbox i am pretty sure it is a 100% 1:1 clone.

I just found out the dvd-rom is not working at all with the 80 ribbon cable and 2tb.     Cannot read any disks, dvd-r dvd+r or original xbox games.

So i switched back to 40 ribbon and 160 gb hdd and now the dvd rom is working fine again.  

What do you use to make that clone drive? Do you use a hard drive dock cloner or what?

You can't use cable select for the HDD with the new 80-wire 40-pin cable.  Reason: To install it in the Xbox, you flip the cable end-over-end.  The connector meant to be plugged into the motherboard (host controller) is attached to the HDD and the HDD connector attached to the motherboard.  Installing a high-speed 80-wire Ultra ATA cable in this way defeats the Cable Select function for the MASTER device.

47 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

You can't use cable select for the HDD with the new 80-wire 40-pin cable.  Reason: To install it in the Xbox, you flip the cable end-over-end.  The connector meant to be plugged into the motherboard (host controller) is attached to the HDD and the HDD connector attached to the motherboard.  Installing a high-speed 80-wire Ultra ATA cable in this way defeats the Cable Select function for the MASTER device.

This! Sometimes I've had this problem, and found having the DVD drive plugged in causes slow startup when I've plugged the end of an 80-wire IDE cable where both ribbons meet to the motherboard. It does make a difference which end of the cable you plug into the motherboard, even with MASTER selected on the SATA adapter. Swapping it around may help to reduce these startup lags. In other words, try ensuring the place where both ribbons meet is connected to the DVD drive... If this doesn't make sense I'll post a photo.

Edited by samspin

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 5:14 AM, Blaggah said:

What do you use to make that clone drive? Do you use a hard drive dock cloner or what?

Satdock2reu3

It can clone HDD standalone (does not need to be connected to a OS) and does sector by sector

cloning. Which makes it do a 1:1 copy.

Edited by RoofTop

On 4/1/2019 at 7:07 AM, KaosEngineer said:

eh? Original cable is   IDE on Mobo --- short length to DVD --- long length to HDD    If I reverse the positioning of the 80 pin cable it wont fit? What size 80 pin cables are you guys all using then??

The UltraATA (80-wire 40-pin) high-speed IDE cables support Cable select because the connectors used connect or disconnect certain wires for the devices mode of operation -  SLAVE or MASTER device when the device's jumper is set to Cable Select.  The ATA standard specifies the color of each connector as to it's function: host/controller, slave and master.

Host - Blue

Slave - Gray

Master - Black

PC cables have the SLAVE and MASTER connectors closer together.  However, generally to fit in the Xbox the MASTER (black) connector is connected to the motherboard's IDE connector (host), grey is still connected to the DVD drive (slave) and the HOST (blue) connector is connected to the MASTER (hard drive).  But, when in this configuration, the cable select function does not work.  Thus, the hard drive (or IDE-to-SATA adapter) must be set to MASTER instead of CABLE SELECT.

Funny thing is that I just had this happen to me with one of the Xboxes that I'm working on.  I ended up disconnecting the yellow power connector to the DVD Drive and everything works perfectly fast now.  It has a Samsung DVD Drive in it and this is the only Xbox that I have that isn't using a StarTech IDE to SATA adapter. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...