OGXbox.com

Weird problem with hard drive

technoob

Lately the hard drive makes strange sounds, like "jumping" or scratching etc. So I formatted it(both low and hard level, with standard partition softwares) , checked it in Windows and done various tests like sectors and surfaces test: no problems were found. I reinstalled Slayer's Evox (latest), reuploaded all stuff, etc: same problems. At first boot, after many hours of inactivity, it goes well, but after a bit or just randomly the HD makes such weird sounds and the game crashes (especially Rallisport Challenge, a little more rarely with other games, both launched with TSR and IGR options set in various ways... though I noticed the problem is less frequent when TSR is on Normal and IGR is enabled).

Maybe the HD is ok (also checked its compatibility before buying from the HD compatible chart I can't find now) but something else is wrong? I dusted the Xbox out, reconnected all cables: the problem is still there. Maybe it's not the sectors but the reader or any other part of the HD? Or maybe it's the way how files are uploaded to be wrong ( I use Filezilla, a router and normal ethernet cables, no crossover) ?

Edited by technoob

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

When the hard drive makes those weird sounds, check the voltage levels powering the hard drive.  Use a multimeter to measure DC voltage between the yellow and black (12Vdc +/- 10%) and red and black wires (5Vdc +/- 5% I think) of the hard drive's Molex connector.  

Unfortunely I don't have that equipment, neither the technical knowledge to achieve that. In simple terms, can it be due to power cable? I also noticed I got a little electro shock while plugging it...

8 hours ago, technoob said:

Unfortunely I don't have that equipment, neither the technical knowledge to achieve that. In simple terms, can it be due to power cable? I also noticed I got a little electro shock while plugging it...

12V and 5V should not give you a shock. Check that your XBox is properly grounded. You can get a multimeter for less than $10. If you don't know how to use one I'm sure you have family or friends that do. Ask around.

Yes, a multi-meter can be a very useful to have for a range of purposes for electronics projects, DIY and car maintenance in particular.

I'd actually recommend spending slightly more than that. I've owned cheap ones I've had the selector wear out and the battery cover tabs breaking, that sort of thing.

I eventually shelled out £30 on one I'd seen being used in both a car repair and a DIY TV program. There's also the £10 cheaper (4000) version available with less accessories.

On YT there are dozens of beginners guides for using multi-meters.

Edited by HDShadow

• 4 weeks later...