OGXbox.com

will an og xbox eat up a ssd quickly?

bulkchart32

when i got started in the xbox modding scene a couple years ago, i kept reading that ssd's do not last long on these og xbox's because of the way the system constantly writes to the disk cache. now, i keep seeing people say they upgraded to a ssd. even watched a youtube video a while back from modern vintage gamer where he used some type of flash cart memory card in place of a hdd. so what is the final verdict on this? will an og xbox eat up a ssd quickly or not? and is there any speed benefit in going to a ssd? i know it won't speed up the transfer of data but i often think it is the actual hdd's seek time that causes alot of the hesitation(especially when loading the home screen).

As long as the solid state drive isn't eMMC, the drive should last long as a hard drive. Don't guarantee that though, especially if the drive isn't reputable, very cheap, or used. Since SSDs are expensive, some use their spare early generation SSDs for their XBOX or other devices and it goes bad. I used 10gb of virtual memory on my old computer's SSD and it didn't die or start having issues, and virtual memory often read and writes a ton of data. Some games benefit because a hard drive has a harder time seeking for smaller files around 1-2kilobytes but the speed is nearly identical. The only real benefit is that the XBOX will be much quieter. As long as you have your XBOX's HDD key, saves, homebrew, and dashboard are backed up, which anyone should do with any storage medium and other technology regardless, you should be fine. This is my speculation but I hope it makes sense.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 7:22 AM, bulkchart32 said:

someone on twitter a while back said his failed in about a year. idk if the was the exception or the rule. have u put SSDs in your xbox? how long ago, if so?

That's usually just luck and/or quality, I have 3 2TB 2.5" SSDs that I've used pretty frequently for years and the only one with errors was the cheapest, what I used for my Unraid server's cache/VM drive, and has had like 60TB written to it. An Xbox will never write anything close to that amount of data on a drive, I'd be way more worried about an M.2 boot drive in a PC that I'm using constantly than any new drive you could put in an Xbox.

1 hour ago, SoftMachine said:

That's usually just luck and/or quality, I have 3 2TB 2.5" SSDs that I've used pretty frequently for years and the only one with errors was the cheapest, what I used for my Unraid server's cache/VM drive, and has had like 60TB written to it. An Xbox will never write anything close to that amount of data on a drive, I'd be way more worried about an M.2 boot drive in a PC that I'm using constantly than any new drive you could put in an Xbox.

so u haven't tried it in an actual xbox for a decent length of time?

On 12/2/2022 at 3:22 PM, bulkchart32 said:

someone on twitter a while back said his failed in about a year. idk if the was the exception or the rule. have u put SSDs in your xbox? how long ago, if so?

No but I can tell you if I would do it, it and I would life 200 years, I would still work. Main reason is because I didn't played any game in over 2 years and don't realy feel to play and but that wasn't the qustion. :D;)

How ever. 2 TB SSD's are around 90-110 bucks so not that much. And if you think about SSD's in PC's which get used daily with a lot more read writes which still work after 10 years, what do you think how long will it survive in your XBox? 

But if it's worth it for you - I can't tell. If you want to sqeeze out the last bit of speed then it's a SATA converter with marvel controller and a SSD and UDMA5 bios. 

You could just get a cheap old 120gb SDD (samsung for example) for a couple of bucks on ebay and find out if you like it or not and how much speed you gain. 

@bulkchart32so your source is 1 guy on Twitter? 😉

You are correct that the XBOX is not designed for SSD. It’s missing TRIM feature which is present in modern in a modern OS. The lack of TRIM results in much bigger memory blocks being rewritten, resulting in faster wear and reduced performance.

Now the thing is that modern SSD controllers add features like ECC and more features to reduce wear like block mixing. So the risk of failing SSD is greatly reduced on controller level but also on memory level. The lifetime of a 1 TB Samsung QVO 870 is 360TBW. So it would last 1 year if I would write the entire disk every day. In theory it is possible on UDMA2. With 33 MB/s it takes ~9 hours a day, but that means you can’t read any data. Not to mention that it’s just not realistic that the XBOX would generate so much cache data to begin with.

Last comment to make is that if you are worried about failing SSD, then get Project Stellar. TRIM will be one of the features they want to add to the BIOS. So the there is no excuse anymore to be worried about failing SSD. I think the biggest risk is data loss because of not using the disk is bigger then the other way around. At least for me the XBOX is not a daily driver, so I just need to make sure the XBOX gets powered on every 6 months. After 1 year the risk of data loss becomes realistic, the drive won’t fail but games might not work anymore and require reinstall. 

• 3 weeks later...

So just had a look at Project Stellar... I take it this is a mod chip with additional features but does replace what would have been classed as a mod? - sorry been out the scene for a while and amazing how much the xbox has progressed... need to dig out my 1Ghz some day, kinda got put away when XBMC finished development.