OGXbox.com

is there any way to speed up the loading of the home screen?

bulkchart32

on one of my hard modded xbox's, i have a 3tb sata3 seagate drive. it has almost every xbox game ever made and some extra stuff too. i have the dashboard set for xbmc4gamers and fast parsing but it loads so slow. i have found that to be the fastest dashboard though. on my softmodded xbox, i upgraded the drive to a 300gb ide seagate drive and the same ide cable. i only have mostly the games that are available with insignia right now plus a few others and it loads to the unleashX dashboard. it loads SOO much faster, even with that old slow ide hdd in it, that i am tempted to use it instead of my hard modded system with all the extra's on it. is there anyway to speed up my hard modded xbox without deleting a bunch of games? i have another hardmodded xbox with a 2tb wd black 7200rpm drive and it only loads 4 seconds quicker(i timed it several time) so a faster harddrive wouldn't help much.

It seem your hardmod has the 80wire ide cable is that right? Are you using a sata adapter or is the 3tb an ide drive?

It could be worth trying a newer sata drive with a UDMA5 bios such as cerbios. My 'big' 1G1R drive is a 4Tb that is mostly full and it boots to F drive XBMC in around 5-10 seconds. 

Anything tact might be using XISO files rather than extracted game folders; to cut down on the thousands of tiny files it needs to parse through.

Edit:

Try checking the load order of your dashes as well, it might be going through looking for dashes that arent there. Should have a minimal impact but you never know.

Edited by Kalpi
Extra info

1 hour ago, Kalpi said:

It seem your hardmod has the 80wire ide cable is that right? Are you using a sata adapter or is the 3tb an ide drive?

It could be worth trying a newer sata drive with a UDMA5 bios such as cerbios. My 'big' 1G1R drive is a 4Tb that is mostly full and it boots to F drive XBMC in around 5-10 seconds. 

Anything tact might be using XISO files rather than extracted game folders; to cut down on the thousands of tiny files it needs to parse through.

Edit:

Try checking the load order of your dashes as well, it might be going through looking for dashes that arent there. Should have a minimal impact but you never know.

i am using an 80 and a star tech sata adapter.

"Anything tact might be using XISO files rather than extracted game folders; to cut down on the thousands of tiny files it needs to parse through." that one is a little over my head. what does it mean and how do i check for it?

how do i check the load order? i'm using the evo8 bios on an open xenuim chip.

There's an ongoing thread here on the forums:

ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6706-cerbios-new-xbox-bios/&do=findComment&comment=47186 

Cant help with flashing your mod chip, as i've only done TSOPs.

Have a look at FATXplorer, it'll help with creating hard drives.

19 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

@SS_Dave @KaosEngineery'all are two of the best in this forum. any idea what i can do to make things better?

What does your 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable look like?  Is the insulation color yellow?  Recently, several people purchasing those similar to the one shown at the top of the image below have had problems with them not working well.

599fe11bc298d_80-wireIDECablesMeasuredSide-by-sideComparison.thumb.jpg.6005f567a7948f663f5257ff3d823ca5.jpg

I have the same issue with my hard modded 1.6 xbox. Recently added a SATA 3TB drive with a NFHK SATA to IDE adapter and a 80 wire cable that looks like the one on the bottom in the pic above. I'm also getting extremely slow boot times and this is with a freshly formatted drive with nothing on it. MY 160GB IDE drive that I removed boots up instantly. I have not tried cerbios yet, I'm still running whatever BIOS was flashed to it around 15 years ago when I modded it.

34 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

What does your 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable look like?  Is the insulation color yellow?  Recently, several people purchasing those similar to the one shown at the top of the image below have had problems with them not working well.

599fe11bc298d_80-wireIDECablesMeasuredSide-by-sideComparison.thumb.jpg.6005f567a7948f663f5257ff3d823ca5.jpg

i got mine from the chemric(however it's spelt. the guy that sells the best hdmi adapters). it looks identical to an og xbox ide cable except it is an 80 wire. here's a post i made about the ide cables i used. 

Edited by bulkchart32

1 hour ago, Jailer said:

I have the same issue with my hard modded 1.6 xbox. Recently added a SATA 3TB drive with a NFHK SATA to IDE adapter and a 80 wire cable that looks like the one on the bottom in the pic above. I'm also getting extremely slow boot times and this is with a freshly formatted drive with nothing on it. MY 160GB IDE drive that I removed boots up instantly. I have not tried cerbios yet, I'm still running whatever BIOS was flashed to it around 15 years ago when I modded it.

what model is your hdd. i use same sata adapter, but not branded one. old ide drives are cmr based, your 3tb hdd is likely smr. i have fully loaded 1tb cmr drive, and i have no problems.

9 hours ago, prtscn said:

what model is your hdd. i use same sata adapter, but not branded one. old ide drives are cmr based, your 3tb hdd is likely smr. i have fully loaded 1tb cmr drive, and i have no problems.

my 3tb hdd xbox has a seagate baracuda 5400rpm drive. my 2tb hdd xbox has a WD black 7200rpm drive. the wd is 4 seconds faster at loading the homescreen than the seagate(timed with a stop watch several times).

So you compare a 7200rpm HDD with a 5400rpm drive and then you complain that the slower drive is slower?

The fastest setup you can get is a UDMA5 bios + SATA adapter with Marvel controller + SSD.

Can you make your 5400 HDD faster? No/Yes. You can use a UDMA5 bios with SATA adapter with Marvel controller. If you already run that setup, than thats it.

Will it be than fast like your 7200rpm black @ UDMA2? No.

Is it worth it to think about any changes with this HDD? No.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 10:04 PM, prtscn said:

It's an older WD green, it's not a SMR drive.

On 12/2/2022 at 7:48 AM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

So you compare a 7200rpm HDD with a 5400rpm drive and then you complain that the slower drive is slower?

Not complaining here, just wondering if it was normal. The difference between boot times with mine is quite significant and I was just curious if I had some sort of issue. My old seagate 160GB IDE drive loads the flubber animation and boots right after the DVD drive initializes. My 3TB WD green sits at a black screen with "Xecuter 2 config live loading" text at the bottom of the screen for nearly 30 seconds before it loads the boot animation and finishes booting. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, I can just wait for it to boot but I just wanted to make sure I didn't have some sort of issue after changing drives.

1 hour ago, Jailer said:

Not complaining here, just wondering if it was normal. The difference between boot times with mine is quite significant and I was just curious if I had some sort of issue. My old seagate 160GB IDE drive loads the flubber animation and boots right after the DVD drive initializes. My 3TB WD green sits at a black screen with "Xecuter 2 config live loading" text at the bottom of the screen for nearly 30 seconds before it loads the boot animation and finishes booting. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, I can just wait for it to boot but I just wanted to make sure I didn't have some sort of issue after changing drives.

WD greens have head pariking. Disable it and it should speed up your boot.

And it also comes down to the SATA adapter you use. SATA adapter with Marvel controller boot and load way faster as the ones with JM oder these other no name chips. I have one converter here which is slow as hell and even slower when a dvd drive is connectet. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 6:39 PM, Jailer said:

I've used those NFHK adapters before and I'm pretty sure super slow boot times are just a feature of that product unfortunately, also maybe 1 out of 10 or so is just faulty and gives an error screen at boot

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

WD greens have head pariking. Disable it and it should speed up your boot.

It was disabled shortly after I acquired the drive, it's an old drive out of my TrueNAS machine. I've still got 4 more of them sitting around.

I'll check into a different SATA adapter to see if that helps. They're cheap enough to swap out. Thanks for the heads up guys.

On 12/2/2022 at 6:48 AM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

The fastest setup you can get is a UDMA5 bios + SATA adapter with Marvel controller + SSD.

Can you make your 5400 HDD faster? No/Yes. You can use a UDMA5 bios with SATA adapter with Marvel controller. If you already run that setup, than thats it.

Will it be than fast like your 7200rpm black @ UDMA2? No.

Is it worth it to think about any changes with this HDD? No.

no, i was not complaining that a 5400rpm drive is slower than a 7200rpm drive. the point i was making is that it's not the fault of the 5400rpm drive because both are too slow and a faster drive only makes a 4 second difference(which is not enough). and i'm already on a umda4 setup according to unleashx

Just a quick update on my issue. I purchased a different IDE to SATA adapter with a Marvel controller and my boot issue is resolved. It's back to booting normally now.

The adapter I bought is a Star Tech brand off Amazon. Only thing I wish was different was that it had a standard molex power plug instead of having to use the power adapter that came with it. It's not a big deal it just make cable management a bit more difficult.

Thanks for the tips guys! 👍

Edited by Jailer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, LeOnOnE said:

I have same issue. 1.6 running xbmc4games. 80 wire on cerbios umda 5 startech adapter and 2tb ssd. Very slow boot time. What is marvel controller?  Any help is appreciated.

The IDE-to-SATA bridge on the Startech adapter is a Marvell 88SA8052 chip.  You should not have slow boot times with the Startech adapter. 

Try a different 80-wire 40-pin high-speed IDE cable.

• Thanks 1