OGXbox.com

Not Booting Dashboard W/New Hdd + Slower Speed

dizM0nkey

@Rocky5 is it possible trying another exploit would work?  I don't know enough about this... Does your exploit work inherently differently than Krayzies Ndure exploit, or do they call essentially changing the same bit of code and execute the same?  I know your softmod is essentially one-click, so I know the work you've done on top of any exploit is amazing, but wondering if trying another exploit is worth a shot.

Sorry if the above question is just really stupid.  Trying to brainstorm options before buying new PATA>SATA adapters.

2 hours ago, dizM0nkey said:

@Rocky5 is it possible trying another exploit would work?  I don't know enough about this... Does your exploit work inherently differently than Krayzies Ndure exploit, or do they call essentially changing the same bit of code and execute the same?  I know your softmod is essentially one-click, so I know the work you've done on top of any exploit is amazing, but wondering if trying another exploit is worth a shot.

Sorry if the above question is just really stupid.  Trying to brainstorm options before buying new PATA>SATA adapters.

The initial exploit is NDURE, done by the font exploit. It’s crashing at this stage. ( if it was NKPatcher that the NDURE exploit loads the LED would be orange )

your issue I assume is the system is taking to long to load, like folk have said bad adaptor or dvd drive can causes these problems. ( cable also but you replaced that )

something at a hardware level is your problem, try running Chimp 261812 and using the fix error 16 option in the slave drive options to only reclone a working C partition, if it still does it it’s not software it’s hardware causing your problem. ( softmods support the partition table that’s required for a large HDD )

Edited by Rocky5
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 10:39 PM, Rocky5 said:

The initial exploit is NDURE, done by the font exploit. It’s crashing at this stage. ( if it was NKPatcher that the NDURE exploit loads the LED would be orange )

your issue I assume is the system is taking to long to load, like folk have said bad adaptor or dvd drive can causes these problems. ( cable also but you replaced that )

something at a hardware level is your problem, try running Chimp 261812 and using the fix error 16 option in the slave drive options to only reclone a working C partition, if it still does it it’s not software it’s hardware causing your problem. ( softmods support the partition table that’s required for a large HDD )

Thanks @Rocky5 ... I tried the fix error 16 and the reclone and nothing worked.  Looks like I'm looking for a new (old) DVD drive.

Just want to chime in on this thread... As i have had a very annoying issue/prob/same as the original poster of this thread with installing a 3TB and a 500gb SATA drives (different brands - toshiba and sumsung) into a crystal 1.6 xbox running executer 3 latest bios (x3.3294.v16plus) or the latest Evox M8 Bios (evox.m8plus.v16.fc.137.bin), and having the boot flubber stall and stutter upon booting the xbox, but i have stumbled across a strange solution which is repeatable which i would like to bring to rocky5 attention and others to test to see if anyone with better brains than mine can cure/fix this hanging flubber on start when using an 80pin IDE cable with a SATA/IDE adapter [Star-tech Adapter] in my case.. If anyone reading this has had the same issue please read on, as it could be a workaround for hard drive problems using the startec Ide/Sata hard drives on 1.6 version xboxs.. soft or hard modded.

The Problem as i experienced it and Observed: :

Using Evox Bios m8PlusV16 (Crystal v1.6 x3 Hardmod - with clean fresh HardChip Install from AID (2018 update) - Not hexen 2018 as that thing refuses to boot no matter what - have access to sumsung and phillips DVD ROM- SAME RESULT - AID Boots on everything using same media that was used to burn hexen 2018, hexen 2018 need to change its booting style, its foobared) .. I have used XbPartitioner (version from hexxen 2018 and AID 2018 Update) to successfully create two F & G 1tb partitions on a 3tb Toshiba SATA HD and Samung 500GB SATA drive. On both drives it creates the actual 1tb or 250gb f & g Partitions fine, However booting the xbox i get what i now call a sticky flubber or laggy flubber on Boot towards the end of the animation just as it begins to boot, something i have seen many complain about on these forums, but in my case the xbox will still boot to dash with some delay and boots to the latest build of XBMC i could find (3-5.3 r33027 (feb27106) Everything is working awesome, loads games, browse samba shares, ftp into XBMC with no problems, everything is just dandy, F & G Drives show correct sizes, everything is butter smooth, ect,ect,... UNTIL!!!! I go to file explorer..... Then BOOOM, huge stuttering when entering the file explorer.. if any music is playing then huge stuttering with the music, sometime it will hang/crash, sometimes it will proceed but veeeerrry slowly and list F & G drives with correct partition size ect.. and can click into drives F & G,, then when i exit, again... long pause and stuttering all over again, if music is playing at the time, the stuttering is really bad, looks like its gonna crash, and the music goes garbled.. horrid...

So i have tried everything, changing the 80Pin IDE cable (have many) change the jumper on the startech IDE/SATA adapter from cable select and master, and also with jumper off.. tried the original 40pin cable, formatted partitions with rocky5 version of chimp., no go.... then reformatted again using xbpartitioner nothing, nadda, this problem will not go away... (i have 4, yes 4 crystal  1.6 xboxes, one modded with executer 2 ce, the others softmoded, dual booting with virtual c, same issues with them all.... very very annoying.... So i started to poke around trying different things.using my hard modded x3 crystal 1.6 xbox., first thing i notice with the executer 3294.v16 bios is that using x3 live config, no LBA 48 settings that would allow f & g.... 1tb partitions???... so me thinks, ok lets switch over to evoxm8v16, bingo, f & g is detected in AID and XBMC... but still lagging flubber at start... argggggggghhhhh....

WHAT IS THIS PROBLEM!!!!!! (i'm thinking at this point its the Startech adapter or the hard drives i'm using and gave up for a few days.)

So i then booted into flash bios version 3.0.3..... And i receive the following error messages as flash bios 3.0.3, does an initialization check on the hard drive and DVDRom drives, and sure enough huge stall in detection and then produces the following error message..which reads.... 

ATA 48-BIT Supported

HDD- SAMSUNG HD501LJ CR100-10 500.107GB

BootideReadData Not Ready.... 

1: Drive not detected

Ok at this point, scratchy head time here? This drive does boot into XBMC fine, but with laggy flubber and works fine apart from this stalling laggy issue when using file explorer in XBMC???? but flash bios says drive not detected..???? Stay with me folks i'm going somewhere with this.. promise... So, i then think master, slave, cable select jumper issue with adapter, has to be? No?  So i try again, different jumper positions, different 80 pin IDE cables, only this time booting into flash bios v3.0.3 to see what it reports... Same Error over and over again, no matter what i try, no matter what jumper positions, same result each time... At this point, after spending well over 4 days on it, i'm about to concede defeat.... i have tried every combination you can think of, different bios, bios config, very latest versions of xbpartition, rocky5 chimp (btw rocky, using your version of chimp, would not allow me to split my 3tb drive into 1tb partitons, for f & g for some reason, it would only give me 750gb on f, and fail on g...no matter what options i choose.)

So i'm broken, reached the end, about to concede defeat, when something very odd happens., i boot into flash bios again after having done so many many times, over many many days of testing and all of sudden everything detects fine, no stalling, no errors.... at all.. like its a stock HD??????????? At this point completely puzzled... I confirm the HD jumper setting on startech adapter, yep set to cable select, so i turn off xbox, and set jumper to master, boot into flash bios 3.0.3 again... everything detects fine and quickly too,. No errors reported.. Everything fine... So i test with no jumper set on the adapter at all., no errors at all again.. Whooaa, now we cooking me thinks... So..time to test booting normal and see if the flubber has any laggin or stalling and then XBMC file explorer, so i switch banks back over to my Evox1.6plus bios and the boot flubber is nice and smooth and is normal.. no problems.... ok ok, this is looking good., but, taking ages.. not booting hd as fast as normal... so i wait and wait.. and then Auto installer deluxe pops up... DOH!!! i left the DVD in the drive... so i quickly ejects the AID DVD shutdown xbox, reboots xbox... flubber stalls again? What on earth is this now?....Go back into Flash bios 3.0.3 and the dreaded error has returned????

BootideReadData Not Ready.... 

1: Drive not detected

Ok, i now thinks its the DVD drive causing a problem??, but it cant be because my other three Xbox 1.6 crystal xboxs all have the same issue when I attempt to upgrade the hard drives to SATA drives using my star-tech adapter????

In the end after days of pulling my hair out, this is what solved the problem, well more of a workaround not solving the problem as such, but do not know why!!!! and i hope you clever people here can take this info and try and debug for a fix? Also anyone reading this who are having issues with 1.6 version xboxes and SATA adapters you must read this and take note!!!!! It worked for me we just got to find out why it works...

The solution to all my woes was simply making sure a DVD was in the DVD drive? This was repeatable with all four of my crystal 1.6 xboxs, all the issues with my hard drives via the star tech adapters went away, i dont even need to set a jumper on my adapter, and everything still works perfect!!!! Flash bios reports no errors at all, as long as there is a DVD in the drive, no flubber lag (but only problem is that this means you boot a DVD instead of the Hard drive... So the work around for that, is boot to XBMC with laggy flubber, then insert DVD in drive and XBMC runs perfect, file explorer everything... it can be any DVD disk.... as long as one is present in the drive, hell even hexen 2018 DVD which wont even boot on my xbox 1.6s, any of them, including the softmodded ones solves this laggin flubber and the xbox failing to detect and initializing the hard drive correctly on boot when using one of these adapters on a v1.6 xbox.. it worked for me guys!!!!

Please use flashbios v3.03 to test.as explained above and will show in real time that having a DVD in the drive at the time removes all Hard drive errors with a startech adapters, it may yield a result with other troublesome adapters !!!! Give it a try..  I suggest this on v1.6 crystal xboxs only, i have no clue if this would have any relevance to 1.1, 1.4, 1.5 xboxes....

Apologies as i typed this from memory and its getting late for any major spelling grievances..:

Rocky5 your chimp mod and other softmod tools really do rock!!! and Engineer thank you for all your well informed posts!!!! 

May the xbox mod scene continue... You guys got me to dabble with my xboxs again!!!!

On 12/17/2018 at 10:39 PM, Rocky5 said:

@Rocky5 I tried the "fix error 16" with the 2TB as slave again and recloning the C partition from my original 8GB drive, but I had the same crash at boot and only opening and closing the drive tray would allow the system to boot to dashboard.

But...

I found a lot of 3 OG Xbox's on Craigslist for $30 and picked them up... they were marked as "parts / repair" only, but one had a working Philips drive.  I swapped out the Samsung drive I had in my Xbox and swapped in the Philips and it booted perfectly.

Very Nice!  Great Success!

It was, indeed, the Samsung drive and (I believe) the StarTech combination with that large a drive.  I now have the Samsung drive, my old 250GB drive, and am going to put those into one of the other Xbox cases I got and put it out on Craiglist as well.  Will recycle one and save the another for spare parts.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in, especially @KaosEngineer@Rocky5 @John7272

g1510139015918509828.jpg

Edited by dizM0nkey

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm having a similar issue to OP with similar hardware.

I have the StarTech adapter, as well as a Kingwin I found on Amazon. StarTech only works after an eject cycle, but the Kingwin works normally. It's exceptionally slow to boot though, so I'd rather find a way to get the StarTech working if I can!

I have a Hitachi/LG DVD drive, not Samsung.

What constitutes "exceptionally slow"?

My own experience after swapping to SATA HDDs, generic ( ie. not StarTech) adapters and an 80 wire IDE cable is that the WD 320GB HDD I used took about twice as long to boot to the main dash as the Seagate 160GB IDE HDD had done on the same chipped and incidentally also Hitachi DVD drive fitted v1.6 Xbox.

That means about 30 seconds rather than 15 seconds.

You should also be made aware that certain content and the volume of content on the HDD can slow down the boot too.

Thanks for the reply.

I clocked both adapters, here are my results:

Kingwin
23 seconds from the end of the flubber animation to when the Microsoft logo appears (with or without a disk in the drive)
8 seconds from the microsoft logo to fully booted into UnleashX

StarTech
1 second from the end of the flubber animation to when the Microsoft logo appears (with or without a disk. also, it doesn't hang if there's a disk)
12 seconds from pressing Eject twice to fully booted into UnleashX

This is with nothing additional except the softmod installed on the drive, by the way.

I chose a SSD because it's quieter and has a longer life ahead of it than an IDE HDD, and many people seem to swear by the StarTech adapters. I wonder if there's something wrong with my setup, my config, or if there's a bug in the software somewhere.

2 hours ago, w141234 said:

I chose a SSD because it's quieter and has a longer life ahead of it than an IDE HDD, and many people seem to swear by the StarTech adapters. I wonder if there's something wrong with my setup, my config, or if there's a bug in the software somewhere.

Are you using the stock IDE cable or have you swapped it out for a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin one?

I didn't really expect it to make a difference, but I tried a second StarTech adapter (to rule out a defect in my original one) and I see the same issue. I'm also going to try a variety of other cheaper adapters. Tried one so far and it's just about as slow as the Kingwin adapter.

Would I maybe have better luck with an IDE hard drive? Do they even make them anymore?

On 10/21/2021 at 4:43 AM, w141234 said:

I'm using a new 120GB SSD, this StarTech IDE2SATA2 adapter, this Kingwin knockoff adapter and this 80-pin cable. The stock 40-pin cable gives me error 13 with both adapters (which is expected).

How quick are you expecting it to boot?

I tested a 1.2/3 that got a Open Xenium with the X2 5035.67 as the default boot bios and using a fully loaded 3tb HDD running XBMC4Gamers (800 plus games and Coinops 😎 with a Chinese sata2ide and the power on to ready to select a game was on average 30 seconds.

Maybe it's time to hard mod it and go back to a non SSD.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:17 AM, w141234 said:

I chose a SSD because it's quieter and has a longer life ahead of it than an IDE HDD

I disagree with this, If you can here a new HDD over the fan in a Xbox from around 3 or 4 feet you have better hearing than most and recant reports are now saying that a  the life expectancy of a SSD is not any longer than a normal hard drive.

https://www.ontrack.com/en-au/blog/how-long-do-ssds-really-last

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

46 minutes ago, w141234 said:

Everything you suggested might be true. Nonetheless it still seems odd that the StarTech SATA adapter boots to a black screen, but opening the DVD drive afterwords causes it to boot normally.

I have seen that with some old Aladdin chip's and normally a bios update fixed it.

Make sure the Sata2ide adaptor is set to Master and not CS (Cable Select)you could also try a different 80way 40 pin IDE cable from a different supplier and I would also try a different brand of DVD drive as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.