OGXbox.com

Xbox slow to initial boot / No XBMC Emustation start up screen

willis

I've noticed something when I turn on my Xbox. It does the initial 'flubber' xbox animation when I turn it on, however it sits there for quite some time (maybe at least a good minute) before it moves on. Now normally it would do the xbox animation screen and the word 'microsoft' in white letters pop up indicating it's good to go and proceed to a dashboard. Mine now is doing the animation and sits there for a while, longer than normal, before I get the microsoft text and it goes to the dash. Additionally it isn't showing the XBMC Emustation title screen before it jumps into XBMC Emustation either like it did before. Again, normally it would show a XBMC Emustation title screen before it went into Emustation.

So my xbox does this -> turns on / does xbox animation -> hangs for a bit before microsoft text pops up -> takes a while on blank screen -> eventually loads up XBMC Emustation

On my other xbox it goes -> turns on / animation -> instantly does microsoft text -> quickly shows XBMC Emustation title / splash screen -> goes right into XBMC Emustation

Any ideas on what is going on and what I can do to resolve this?

XBMC Emustation is loaded on E: and all roms/media/etc are on F:

To me I would suspect the HDD but it could also be the DVD drive.

What happens if you power on with the eject button? and will it boot an original game disk ok?

Ok, just tried it out with just powering it on with the eject button...... same issue, it took quite a while before the Microsoft text popped up and then booted into Emustation. It does boot an original game disk just fine, but the same thing happens at the beginning with the long pause before the text pops up. Maybe it is the HDD??

I have another Xbox with the same exact HDD and that one boots up instantly and shows the XBMC Emustation screen before going into Emustation.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this thread up because I found the root of the issue of the slow boot up sequence. It turns out the SATA to IDE hard drive adapter was the culprit...
I had purchased a 2 pak of the adapters off Ebay (the green board ones) and they seemed to work just fine. However, since I had the 2 pack I was curious to see how the other adapter acted. That one fires right up and boots instantly! So if anyone else runs across an issue like the slow boot sequence then it may just be the SATA to IDE hard drive adapter acting funny and not a HDD failure or anything else major.

Those cheap adapters need to be reflowed before even using. Sometimes that will fix their issues, but other times, they seem to just be duds. I came to suggest it was the adapter, as I’ve run into this many time before. Looks like you already figured it out though.  

Edit: The red flag is going from smooth boot, to waiting around 30 secs after the flubber. Dead giveaway that the adapter is the issue. 

Edited by MadMartigan