OGXbox.com

You can service GPU fan

prtscn

Recently discovered that it is possible to fully disassemble GPU fan and service it properly.

Fan is not using ball bearings, it simply pops off if you force it gently with both fingers equal amount of pressure on fan blades as close to the base of assembly.

Loud fan is quite again. :)

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, prtscn said:

Probably your fan was not that dry. In my case it sounded like a motor engine. But it's a good thing that you serviced it.

Oh yeah it was definitely not that loud but i hadn’t used it in quite a while was definitely louder than i remember. Nice and quiet now though

56 minutes ago, corona2222 said:

i plan to get around to this, does the oil just go in the central hole or around the outside as well?

i could use WD40 or oil that came with the hair clippers.

hair clipper oil will do, you put oil inside the center hole only. And a little bit on the shaft, just coat it thinly.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, corona2222 said:

i plan to get around to this, does the oil just go in the central hole or around the outside as well?

i could use WD40 or oil that came with the hair clippers.

The standard WD40 is not intended for this type of use. It will lube stuff, but it won’t last that long, it’s a very thin and light solution. Stuff like sowing machine oil are better suit for the task.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...