OGXbox.com

1.6 power supply repair question

Cannondale

My Xbox has been sitting for ever and I tried plugging it in and no lights, no disc tray. You only hear a little sound coming from the power supply. I have pscd101301a power supply. This is my back up Xbox so I figured I’ll try to learn alittle about it and see if I could fix it. All my capacitors looks good both on the MB and PS. I’m getting the 120V into the PS and I checked the pins from the connector that go to the MB and on powok I’m getting 0.43v (should be 3.3v) and on my red wires I’m getting 0.95v (should be 5v). I checked the underside for obvious damage but can’t see anything. Is this a common issue? Anything to actually fix this or is it a paper weight.

Thank You!

1 minute ago, Cannondale said:

My Xbox has been sitting for ever and I tried plugging it in and no lights, no disc tray. You only hear a little sound coming from the power supply. I have pscd101301a power supply. This is my back up Xbox so I figured I’ll try to learn alittle about it and see if I could fix it. All my capacitors looks good both on the MB and PS. I’m getting the 120V into the PS and I checked the pins from the connector that go to the MB and on powok I’m getting 0.43v (should be 3.3v) and on my red wires I’m getting 0.95v (should be 5v). I checked the underside for obvious damage but can’t see anything. Is this a common issue? Anything to actually fix this or is it a paper weight.

Thank You!

I know it says delta but I’m sure it should be similar for mine.

122E71ED-AF16-44C0-903F-CF19A534F904.jpeg

Edited by Cannondale

I would check the 5 volt filter cap/caps next to the 20 pin connector on the main board.

Can you post a pic of the main board? If you use a file share site like postimages.com  and add the link here.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I would check the 5 volt filter cap/caps next to the 20 pin connector on the main board.

Can you post a pic of the main board? If you use a file share site like postimages.com  and add the link here.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I’ll see if I can get some pictures of the MB tonight. As for now I have photos of the power supply.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/pR258kd

On 11/19/2022 at 5:37 AM, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

MB picture

https://postimg.cc/gallery/TK44rPw

On 11/17/2022 at 3:02 AM, Cannondale said:

Thank You!

Can't help much, but I will say I had the exact same thing happen yesterday. 1.6/1.6b xbox, holding the power button I would hear a quiet electronic "click" sound like it was trying to boot (the sound came from near the plug of the PSU, not the HDD). PSU looked flawless, motherboard also flawless. Bought a dirty old 1.6 off ebay, snagged the PSU, put it in and the system works flawlessly.

1.6 Power supplies are really weird and can fail without any obvious damage.

10 hours ago, big F said:

The chip that governs the PON status can fail, they are as bad in PC PSU’s , many of the no brand PSU’s fail in this area. MS didnt exactly go for the named brand quality stuff when contracting out the Xbox PSU gig.

So can we change the chip to fix these PSU? Or is it a lost cause

Never bothered myself but the chips are normally standard stuff cheap chips  in PC PSU’s

No reason to think the Xbox will be any different.  The only different thing is PC PSU’s PON from a +ve supply being pulled to ground, but IIRC Xbox pulls -ve up to PON.    Someone probably will chime-in with a more in depth reply a d hopefully give you a chip part no etc.

Did you try replacing the 3300uF 6.3v caps on the motherboard, next to the PSU connector? Those are by far the most common culprit for 1.6s with no power at all or random shut downs. That will at least cheaply knock out one possibility even if it doesn't work. 

Edit: I should add that these caps can all look fine but still be failing. 

Edited by SoftMachine