OGXbox.com

Anyone see anything wrong with this 1.6psu?

hastings298

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Be VERY careful touching the underside of that PSU. Big caps are dangerous unless they're discharged... or they've been unpowered long enough to be discharged already.

Thanks buddy. I unplug it then hold the power button to discharge as much as possible. Maybe tap it a few more times for safety. Not sure if that's the right thing to do but never been shocked.

Pretty sure something on this PSU is dead, maybe the fuse? Idk. Quiet clicking noise is definitely coming from the area of the PSU and not the HDD etc.

1 hour ago, Prehistoricman said:

Are you sure it's the PSU that's faulty? Could be the motherboard.

Yes 99% sure; I'm *very* well acquainted with the cap problems that cause most issues on the OG. This is either a 1.6 or 1.6b motherboard that is absolutely pristine, no sign of bulging caps at all.

It was working fine until I left it for a couple months, I came back and at first it turned on, but each time I turned it on it struggled more and more to start up. Until eventually all I hear is this very light, maybe 60hz "clicking" noise that I tried to pin down - 100% comes from somewhere near the socket.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I’ve got a 2004 PAL 1.6 crystal here that has exactly the same problem - tiny ticking noise from the psu sorta area whilst the power or eject is held down or lpc power shorted to ground)
my caps are also blue/gold and no signs of bulging or leaking - I’m definitely the first in this box too.

I think on mine that the clock cap might be blown, slight signs of leakage - which would prevent boot - anyone know at what point boot is prevented by a dead clock cap on 1.6 does it mimic a dead psu???

btw ALL standby voltages seem good (3.26 on blue, steady 5.08 on orange, 3.36 on Q7C2 collector, lpc 5v is stable and good)

12 hours ago, neakmenter said:

Yeah I’ve got a 2004 PAL 1.6 crystal here that has exactly the same problem - tiny ticking noise from the psu sorta area whilst the power or eject is held down or lpc power shorted to ground)
my caps are also blue/gold and no signs of bulging or leaking - I’m definitely the first in this box too.

I think on mine that the clock cap might be blown, slight signs of leakage - which would prevent boot - anyone know at what point boot is prevented by a dead clock cap on 1.6 does it mimic a dead psu???

btw ALL standby voltages seem good (3.26 on blue, steady 5.08 on orange, 3.36 on Q7C2 collector, lpc 5v is stable and good)

Forgot i made this topic but since you answered I'll respond: i bought an old 1.6 Xbox with a nasty case and swapped over the power supply. Guess what?

My slim Xbox now works flawlessly. Clicking PSU confirmed to have been the cause. No idea what causes this issue but seen several instances of this quiet clicking online and they all seem to relate to 1.6s. would be nice to know what causes it as there's nothing visually that gives the game away at all.

• Thanks 1