OGXbox.com

Solution for Xbox with missing HDD

Hari125

Hi. I just got a second xbox classic, but with the problem that it's missing the hard drive. It's hard-moded with xc-changer chip.

I have some knowlage, but still need some help.

My plan is to first backup the eeprom using rpi or arduino (i have both). After that I have to find a compatible hdd (or maybe ssd). And at the end I have to use the eeprom backup to change the hdd key using a pc (forgot the name of the program).

Correct me if i'm wrong. I appreciate your help.

If the Xbox is hard modded, you don't have to lock the hard drive.  Leave it unlocked.

You can use the Windows .NET 6.0 Desktop application FATXplorer 3.0 Beta to prepare a new hard drive for the Xbox.  See Hazeno's online tutorial:

Preload 2TB HDD Upgrade : Hardmod : Guide

Edit: Don't worry that it says 2TB in the title.  It will work for smaller drives too.  You will end up with smaller than 927.78 GB extended partitions 6 and 7.

You can get a copy of the configuration EEPROM's content for safe-keeping by installing Evoxdash +3935 and running its Backup menu option found in the System Utils submenu.

• Thanks 1

In my view as the Xbox is hard modded ( mod chipped) there is no need for the eeprom data and as Kaos said you don't need to lock the new hard drive.

You could always fit the new HDD/SSD and then cold boot a install disk like the OGXbox installer 2021 v1.5.4 and that will format and install a dash to the new hard drive for you.

You can download that from here   https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

If the Xbox is hard modded, you don't have to lock the hard drive.  Leave it unlocked.

You can use the Windows .NET 6.0 Desktop application FATXplorer 3.0 Beta to prepare a new hard drive for the Xbox.  See Hazeno's online tutorial:

Preload 2TB HDD Upgrade : Hardmod : Guide

Edit: Don't worry that it says 2TB in the title.  It will work for smaller drives too.  You will end up with smaller than 927.78 GB extended partitions 6 and 7.

You can get a copy of the configuration EEPROM's content for safe-keeping by installing Evoxdash +3935 and running its Backup menu option found in the System Utils submenu.

Ok, that could work, but I am planning to use the mod chip just to boot burned cd (like Hexen or AID), soft mod it and then remove the chip entirely.

Let’s say I do it as it’s in the tutorial.
Then can I change the hdd key with the one from the extracted eeprom using the Xbox while it’s still running (probably since it can be null-ed).

After you boot the installer disc with the modchip's BIOS booting the console, you can lock the hard drive.   

Once locked, you can remove the modchip and softmod the console.  There's no need to change the HDDKey.  

The HDDKey is a value stored in the configuration EEPROM that is used along with the hard drive's model and serial number to compute the unlocking password each time the Xbox boots.  

There are two different values here: HDDKey and HDKey.  To me, HDDKey (aka Xbox HDD Key) is a 32-digit (16 byte) unique hexadecimal value, no two consoles assigned the same value from the factory, stored in the motherboard's configuration EEPROM and HDKey (aka Xbox HDD password) is the 40-digit (20 byte) hexadecimal unlocking password computed each time the console boots. It is used to unlock the hard drive to gain access to the content stored on it. 

And, IIRC, I've seen some old Xbox scene documentation and recent posts refer to the configuration EEPROM's value as the HDKey and the computed unlocking password as the HDDKey.

Confusing to say the least.

ATA SECURITY INFORMATION 

There are two ATA Security passwords that can be assigned to hard drive that supports the ATA SECURITY feature set.  A MASTER password (factory assigned to enable ATA SECURITY) and a USER password.  The password the Xbox computes with the HDDKey and the hard drive's model and serial number is the USER password. 

The ATA SECURITY feature set has two different security levels: HIGH and MAXIMUM.  With the security level set to HIGH, either the USER or MASTER password can be used to unlock the hard drive to gain access to the content stored on the drive.  With the security level set to MAXIMUM, only the USER password can be used to unlock the hard drive to gain access to the content stored on it.  The MASTER password can only be used to perform a SECURE FORMAT which irrecoverably wipes the content of the hard drive and once completed removes the USER password leaving the hard drive unlocked.

• Like 1

If I understand correctly I have to:

1. install an unlocked hdd
  2. boot the install dvd
  3. lock the drive
  4. soft mod it (I do it here, because I don't have a game to run game saves :))
  5. remove the chip

Then what? Do I have to modify the eeprom (change the hdd key) or it's done automatically. Maybe I should just set it all to 1s.

3 hours ago, Hari125 said:

2. boot the install dvd
  3. lock the drive
  5. remove the chip

Then what? Do I have to modify the eeprom (change the hdd key) or it's done automatically. Maybe I should just set it all to 1s.

Why would you soft mod and then remove a hard mod?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hari125 said:

2. boot the install dvd
  3. lock the drive
  5. remove the chip

Yes, do steps 1-3. Then...

Step 4: Use the extracted content from Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool prebuilt repository - Build v1.1.8 / Installer Variant / XBHDM Build.zip archive to replace all of the files on the C drive. Doing so installs a bootable no-original-exploitable-game-disc-required softmod installer. 

Step 5: Remove the modchip, then power cycle the Xbox to start the softmod installer.  Complete its installation by following the onscreen instructions. Once done, download the eeprom.bin file and store it in a few different places in case one storage location fails at a later date.  

14 hours ago, Hari125 said:

Nothing.

There's no need to change the HDDKey.  Simply download the eeprom.bin file created when you install Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding  Tool to your PC.  Why everyone wants to change the key, forget about it! Not needed.  It will break game saves created before the change that are signed using the original HDDKey value.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Why would you soft mod and then remove a hard mod?

Cheers

SS Dave

As long as we're engaging in sacreligious behavior, I have an old supercharged foxbody mustang in the sideyard that runs perfect. You and I could rip that V8 out and put in an old pinto 4-cylinder that's misfiring on like 2 cylinders and that has an exhaust manifold leak... if we could even manage to FIND a pinto motor in the first place. Pretty sure they all got scrapped.

10 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Why would you soft-mod and then remove a hard mod?

Cheers

SS Dave

I don’t know. I like the soft mod method more since it’s closest to stock and can be easily removed at any time.

Also as I said I’m doing it this way just to boot the installer cd. It’s a lot of work to transfer game save files and run them from the game (that I don’t have). Xd

1 hour ago, Hari125 said:

As you said  the HDDkey is used to generate the HDkey. If it’s different from the one stored in the eeprom wouldn’t it generate a different HDkey that doesn’t match?

There's only one (1) HDDKey.  The value stored in the configuration EEPROM on the motherboard.

The Xbox HDD Password is computed with that value and the hard drive's model and serial number.  The computed password is used to unlock the hard drive.

• Thanks 1