OGXbox.com

1.1 No video - power supply caps?

brotund

I have an Xecuter 2.3 lite+ that I hard wired from years ago, but there is no video output. I have unplugged the DVD/HD and turned the chip off and dont get a video signal. There is a blue light on the mod chip that should be solid, but is flickering when I attempt to boot in this manner.

I watched this video: 

and the dude put a heat gun on what appears to be the power supply capacitors and it worked. I tried something similar with mine and got it to boot one time with a solid blue light on the mod chip, but not since. I tested the power supply plug with a multimeter and all the voltages looked within spec/steady under no load. 

If the power supply caps are indeed the problem, should I just replace the power supply, since it appears that cap kits for it are the same price if not more expensive based on what I can google? Is there a better option to get it working again?

Cheers

Edited by brotund
more info

1 hour ago, brotund said:

I have an Xecuter 2.3 lite+ that I hard wired from years ago, but there is no video output. I have unplugged the DVD/HD and turned the chip off and dont get a video signal. There is a blue light on the mod chip that should be solid, but is flickering when I attempt to boot in this manner.

I watched this video: 

and the dude put a heat gun on what appears to be the power supply capacitors and it worked. I tried something similar with mine and got it to boot one time with a solid blue light on the mod chip, but not since. I tested the power supply plug with a multimeter and all the voltages looked within spec/steady under no load. 

If the power supply caps are indeed the problem, should I just replace the power supply, since it appears that cap kits for it are the same price if not more expensive based on what I can google? Is there a better option to get it working again?

Cheers

you could replace the PSU, but i find that they're just as much as a console. Replacing the caps themselves seems a bit dangerous, but the PSU would definitely last a while after. weigh your pros and cons on this one.

6 hours ago, brotund said:

If the power supply caps are indeed the problem, should I just replace the power supply, since it appears that cap kits for it are the same price if not more expensive based on what I can google?

Where did you find the cap kits for the PSU?

Was it console5.com?

Microsoft Xbox Original Cap Kit - v1.0 through v1.6 - OG Xbox - Xbox Original - Microsoft - Console and Handheld Cap Kits (console5.com)

11 hours ago, brotund said:

I watched this video: 

Cheers

It would be better if you uploaded a pic of you Xbox insides to a pic share site and than add a link here.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.